BC Boards

Had to put my dog down sat =(

Circle C

I had to have one of my Border Collies put down Sat night.

She had been getting quite the belly on her for the past month. We just assumed that I missed a heat cycle and she was bred as I have a male as well. I had an app. to get them both fixed in April as I am out of breeding. Def didn't want pups, but ok all well.I have been for a few years now. This particular female had never been bred.

It started with that. Then, Fri am I woke up and saw she had an accident on the floor. Not like her, but I figured ok, she REALLY had to go. Sat am I also woke up to an accident on the floor. She was acting strange. Wandering aimlessly around the kitchen like she was drunk with her head cocked. She also had a slight twitch to her head when she laid down. I had to go out to the barn for an hr or two. Brought the thermometer with me. Got home. She had thrown up some blood. Not good. Called the vet. Vet. She mentioned a few things that it could be. She thought maybe al uncerated stomach. Had me give her amoxi tabs and pepto bismol. Told me to watch her. They wanted $300 just to look at her since it was a sat. Couldn't do it. Decided to keep an eye on her and if she was doing decent, take her in monday. By sat night she was having seizures every 5 min. Made the call to put her down.

There was no way she got into anything as far as poisions go. I also don't think she was bred. She was a thin dog. Never had much of an appetite (unless it was people food) & never gained weight. She was sick last year. Blood in stool, anemic, lethargic. Vets said she had whip worm which was odd as I deworm with safe guard. Prescribed panacure and amoxi tabs. She seemed to be fone after that. She was always a happy dog with lots of energy. Then, this. We are thinking it was some kind of cancer or tumor in the stomach. She also had the worst breath of any dog I've ever had for as long as I can remeber. She was also on interceptor for the past year.

It was rough =(

Flye1_923175.jpg

PHOT0013-2.jpg

I cannot tell you how sad that makes me to hear you had to do that. From what you said it was for the best.

For your puppy I shall open a window tonight and wish upon a star. I shall then leave a place in the garden for puppies to dance.

Essentially a uterus full of bacteria. Bitch goes into heat and the cervix opens. Bacteria, usually from the GI (E coli) gets into the uterus. Heat cycle ends and the cervix closes, trapping the bacteria inside. The bitch may have an enlarged abdomen as her uterus fills with pus (her owner may think she is pregnant). She may eat less, drink more, pee more, act a little off. If you don't catch it and treat in time the uterus can rupture, the dog can go into toxic shock or she may just die.

Essentially a uterus full of bacteria. Bitch goes into heat and the cervix opens. Bacteria, usually from the GI (E coli) gets into the uterus. Heat cycle ends and the cervix closes, trapping the bacteria inside. The bitch may have an enlarged abdomen as her uterus fills with pus (her owner may think she is pregnant). She may eat less, drink more, pee more, act a little off. If you don't catch it and treat in time the uterus can rupture, the dog can go into toxic shock or she may just die.

Liz.... that sound like it may very well have been the cause. In that case, they missed it when she was ill last year. But, wouldn't she have had a fever?

I plant flowers to remember my guys.

I have a framed Patrice Palmer drawing of each of my dogs, past and present, forming a memorial gallery in the upstairs hallway of our home; they are always with us.

I got to the gate of Heaven today,

After we said good-bye.

I began to miss you terribly,

Because I heard you cry.

Suddenly there was an angel,

And she asked me to enter Heaven's gate.

I asked her if I could wait outside

For someone who would be late.

I wouldn't make much noise, you see,

I wouldn't bark or howl,

I'll only wait here patiently,

And play with my tennis ball.

The angel said I could stay right here

And wait for you to come,

Because Heaven just wouldn't be Heaven

If I went in alone.

So I'll wait right here, you take your time,

But keep me in your heart,