BC Boards

What's your ideal border collie look like?

FWIW, I had a brindle - mostly B&W with brindle points instead of tri poking through. His grandfather had more brindle showing through and he was all working bred and imported from the UK. That dog sired quite a few brindle pups and it kept popping up on down the line, too. I agree that the merle pictured in this thread looks sable and not brindle.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't my post with the photos, I was just quoting and responding to an earlier one. Don't want to take the credit for the work that went into it.

Brndlbc posted a couple of days ago. His dogs are completely brindle not just a little bit that you have to look hard to see.

My wondering about brindles like his was really why they aren't seen here but are in the US.

Julie - About the show "standards", haven't you read the rationale for the bulbous forehead (similar to that for Aussies)? It was explained to me that it's to enable thw dog to resist injury when being kicked by a cow. Heavy bones arw also resistant to injury from kicks. Heavy coat is to resist the cold in Scotland's winters. Oh, blunt face also more resistant to injury. Shorter tail (never below the hocks) to avoid being stepped on by cattle. Not much said about sheep that I recall. Fortunately, I can't remember more of the justfications. People actually believe this stuff, which is pretty scary.

Don't you know ACK does offer "cattle" in their venues? I expect you can have school calves just like school sheep.

I found the earnestness of the young person explaining all the rationales for the show standards and popular appearance breeding trends to be touching - but, my, did he swallow it all, hook, line, and sinker! It was so far out there it was ludicrous but the gullible or ignorant can easily believe it.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply it was your post--was just referring to the closest post that repeated the pictures because it was easier to look at them there than to refer back to the page with the original.

Re: Brindle border collies, I don't think they are seen very often here, and most that are are certainly not brindle all over but may have brindling on the legs where tan points would normally appear. I see a lot of working dogs, and I've seen very few that exhibit any brindling.

J.

It wasn't my post with the photos, I was just quoting and responding to an earlier one. Don't want to take the credit for the work that went into it.

Brndlbc posted a couple of days ago. His dogs are completely brindle not just a little bit that you have to look hard to see.

My wondering about brindles like his was really why they aren't seen here but are in the US.

Is that really brindle? Looks more like some sort of sable merle to me. But I'm guessing someone would have to be trying to get that color....

J.

Found this on some color pages.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/merle.html

Dexter the Catahoula Leopard Dog cross, photos by Olivia Frost.

Dexter is a shaded sable merle. Unusually for a sable merle, he has very distinct dark patches on his body.

To her credit she says, “There is no doubt that many of the merles shown here are very beautiful, unusual and exotic. However, the pictures and information are provided entirely for educational purposes and I do not in any way condone the breeding of dogs deliberately for colour.

The primary concerns for any dog breeder must be health, temperament and conformation. Colour should only be a consideration where it is important for the breed standard. Special care must also be taken when breeding merles to avoid health problems, so merle is a colour best left to very experienced dog breeders. If you are considering breeding a merle dog then please make sure to check out the Double Merle page.”

post-10533-0-71372500-1414091098_thumb.jpg

post-10533-0-84673600-1414091112_thumb.jpg

I'm also really fond of...Lilac/Sable Tricolor BC's

lucian3.jpg

*According to BCRMN. Which is where this BC mix is from.

Is that really brindle? Looks more like some sort of sable merle to me. But I'm guessing someone would have to be trying to get that color....

J.

I'm not entirely sure. It was the picture that popped up when I searched "Brindle Merle". So, I assume so. Apologizes if it isn't the correct color.

I'm also really fond of...Lilac/Sable Tricolor BC's

lucian3.jpg

*According to BCRMN. Which is where this BC mix is from.

I'm not entirely sure. It was the picture that popped up when I searched "Brindle Merle". So, I assume so. Apologizes if it isn't the correct color.

I had a puppy show up in a pet training class that looked very much like this dog but had a blacker face. owners said they bought her from a farmer and she was the only pup with that coloring. She was a pretty neat puppy too.

Julie - About the show "standards", haven't you read the rationale for the bulbous forehead (similar to that for Aussies)? It was explained to me that it's to enable thw dog to resist injury when being kicked by a cow. Heavy bones arw also resistant to injury from kicks. Heavy coat is to resist the cold in Scotland's winters. Oh, blunt face also more resistant to injury. Shorter tail (never below the hocks) to avoid being stepped on by cattle. Not much said about sheep that I recall. Fortunately, I can't remember more of the justfications. People actually believe this stuff, which is pretty scary.

I'm probably vilifying something, but were they planning on the breed not learning to get out of the way? I'm sure from my BCs long lean lines that nobody was considering any of those "points" when they were bred, and apparently both sets of parents survived their "shortcomings." :rolleyes:

There are lots of dogs in the UK that work sheep and cattle. Both historically and presently.

You'd be surprised at the terrain cattle can navigate :)

But I don't have any idea how they came up with the breed standard nonsense.

Ideal...? Boy, wouldn't it be nice if I could have one of each....seriously...!!

Tio is a very typical medium sized, rough coat, B&W dog. He looks quite small in this picture, though. He is what I would consider a textbook example.

DSC_0027_zps09a12852.jpg

We are currently looking for another dog which is proving to be very difficult. On one hand do we buy from the one and only working dog breeder in Japan at quite a serious premium....upwards of $4k to $5k which will be another black and white. OR.....give in to my and my family's admittedly deep superficial desire to find a rough coat blue merle.....??

Don't judge me too hard, but....right now.....I hear the faint distant pitter-patter of a merle puppy coming into our lives...

B Point -

Have you considered importing a pup from either the US or Europe? Cost comparisons including transportation?

When I lived in VT, a local person had a small herd of the Scottish cattle. [i forget their name.] I always enjoyed seeing them in the field.

B Point -

Have you considered importing a pup from either the US or Europe? Cost comparisons including transportation?

When I lived in VT, a local person had a small herd of the Scottish cattle. [i forget their name.] I always enjoyed seeing them in the field.

Jovi... Maybe it's something we should consider. My folks are in Victoria, BC Canada and could help out if I could find a dog around there.

The Boya farm dogs (Japanese breeder) are up in Hokkaido so that cost was ballpark for getting the dog down to us here...near Tokyo. Not to hijack this cool thread but if anyone has any further info or advice on importing..please contact me via PM..maybe I'll start a separate thread.

I don't love the merle colouring all that much, to be honest. I'm not sure why it's usually considered prettier than the black and white. Lots of dogs have colouring similar to merle, but the classic black and white of a border collie is pretty much restricted to the breed. My ideal is a rough-coated prick-eared b/w or tri, lanky but on the larger side. All that said, I have seen beautiful border collies in every colour, so who knows?

Hey, we're in Victoria, too! It's always neat to hear people around the world mention places I am. Wish I had some actual info on importing for you.

Hey hey Chene... Ya...I grew up out near Royal Oak. Man, I miss home sometimes. I could go for a some dungeness crab and salmon steak right off the BBQ about now...

Please let me know if you find anything out should you think of it..

As for the merle. Before we got Tio my wife was NOT a dog person in any way, shape, or form. Hated dogs actually... Finally, she capitulated to my pleading to get a dog and was only ok with a black/white BC as she thought the merle's looked "weird". Flash forward a year and half...now it's her who is down on the ground hugging and loving the dog and insisting on one of those "so cool" (her words) merles.....haha.