BC Boards

Tricolor

Guest SweetJordan

Guest SweetJordan

Okay well here is a dumb question. Are tri's born with their third color or do they develop it? Or are they born with some and develop some?

Guest SweetJordan

Oh okay thanks. Rye is a tri, but I adopted her as an adult so I never really knew the answer to that question. And being that she's my first I have a lot to learn before I become a BC expert.

Belle was definitely a blue merle pup, with just some light brown tri markings around her cheeks, ears, and upper legs. Same as her litter sister. Their sire was a black and white Tri. Belle's tri markings are really pronounced now.

I ran into a fellow playing frisbee with what turned out to be Belle's older sister from the previous litter. That dog was a blue merle, with no apparent tri markings but a very pronouced dark black zigzag from shoulder down one front leg. Looked like a black lightning bolt. I gotta get a picture of that BC!

Belle's litter sister has interesting markings too. On one side the front half of her is blue merle, then she looks cut in half and is a black to her tail (looks like two dogs cut in half and stuck together in the middle!). From the top view, the black stops along the backbone, and her entire other side is merled. Gotta get a picture of her too!.

The tri starts out less pronounced but it's there - you can tell a pup is going to be tri if you look under the tail and there's grey to white right at the base. Of course, for a pup with a white or grey tail (like a merle), this won't be evident.

I had a "surprise tri" pup once - I picked her out right after she was born, and she developed eyebrow spots, cheek marks and tri on her legs. You could sort of kind of see it when she was a baby, but only if you knew what you were looking for - then when she got to be about four months old it really bloomed.

Guest SweetJordan
The tri starts out less pronounced but it's there - you can tell a pup is going to be tri if you look under the tail and there's grey to white right at the base. Of course, for a pup with a white or grey tail (like a merle), this won't be evident.

Well that makes sense. Rye's tan markings are pretty dark. So that was partly what made me curious, plus I thought I outta know the answer. And lately I swear she's got a little more tan on her face, but that must be my imagination. I've already had someone ask me if she was an aussie.

Taz had a little less tan when he was a pup, but the color of the tan remained the same throughout his life, if that makes sense (and I don't know about Craig, since I've only known him as an adult--that's why I edited my original post). Taz's tan is very light and I love the color--I had really hoped it wouldn't change as he aged, and it hasn't (and now that I know other dogs in his lines, who have similar coloring, I know it won't :rolleyes: ).

I was curious about this too since this puppy (see attachment) is supposedly a tri-color and I was wondering how she knows. Maybe the base of the tail thing? Or...is there some brown that I'm just not seeing?

post-8875-1217281435_thumb.jpg

I was curious about this too since this puppy (see attachment) is supposedly a tri-color and I was wondering how she knows. Maybe the base of the tail thing? Or...is there some brown that I'm just not seeing?

Under the tail, if there is tan, it's a tri :rolleyes:.

Just to throw a monkey wrench in--some dogs will have more pronounced tri as pups that will then "disappear" as they goet older. I have a friend with such a dog. His cheek patches were small to begin with and are now nonexistent. If you hadn't seen him as pup, you wouldn't know he was a tri now unless you looked for the tan/white under his tail.

Not quite related, but many tris will also fade with age--that is, the rich brown color will go to a pale tan or white.

J.

Take a look at http://www.colliecorner.com

Don't forget to look at the puppies! :rolleyes:

You'll see all kinds of tris.

I have a saddle patterned tri...and the colour morphing was pretty awesome as she grew up.

I also have 2 younger dogs that are technically tris although a tad less obvious <g>. One is basically

half black/half white with a small wheat coloured patch on her cheek. My predominantly white boy has black

on his rump and ears with also a wheat patch on the side of his face. Those 'wheat ' patches were evident

at birth.

I'm sure this has been answered on another thread but if you will just indulge me ... how is tri passed on? Do both dogs have to carry it? Also, can a tri-coloured dog be white factored as well?

Neither of my dogs is tri, and I absolutely drool over tri's like Taz!

Well, that makes us even, since I drool over split-faces like Lou :rolleyes:

Taz is white factored. His dam is a tri and his sire is a black and white. He was the only black tri in his litter; his sister is a white tri and the other four pups in his litter were black and white.

1. Do both dogs have to carry it?

2. Also, can a tri-coloured dog be white factored as well?

1. No, my Peg is a B&W (rough) and the sire was a Tri (smooth) and we got a mix:

B&W: Nell (smooth), Liz (smooth), Nell (rough), Kit(smooth)

Tri: BJ (rough), Ted (rough), Lance (smooth), & Nash(smooth).

2. Yes.....

Rae: White-factored Smooth Tri

IMG_0877.jpg

Bette: White-factored Rough Tri (you can't see inside the back leg very well in this photo)

IMG_0732.jpg

Mark

Hi Mark,

Would the B&W dog have to carry a tri gene? Is there such a thing as a tri gene? And for the white-factored thing, with a white-factored tri, you wouldn't want to cross that dog with a white-factored B&W, right?

Also, I would like Bette. Please send her to me. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Jasmine is a Tri Merle but the only tan that shows anywhere on her is a splash on her right rear foot.

It really didn't show up until she turned about 1 year.

I knew she was Tri because I was familiar with her parents otherwise I wouldn't of had a clue until she was 1 yr

oct7thjas.jpg