BC Boards

OT (Sorry) - Cat Food

Originally posted by Beth G:

quote:
Originally posted by nes:

But the big thing is that I switch up their food with every bag or so. No cat or dog food is enterily complete so I by changing foods they get all their vitamins!

Nes.

Doesn't that give cats horrible diarrhea? It always did mine to just keep changing it. Interestingly, No it doesn't upset them at all. I think it is because I have been changing their food regularily since I got them (at 9 weeks). I've done this with all my cats and it allows them to accept new foods very easily.

Same thing with madison, she's been on 5 maybe 6? different foods since she was born Half the reason for that is that we can never remember what kind she's eating now :rolleyes:

Nes.

Wow you're lucky. My cats have always been high needs. Needing special urinary diets for example that you have to keep them on. One kitten I had would NOT eat kitten food- only adult...lol.

I fed (and LOVED) California Natural for ages until we got Molly. For the first week we had her, she wouldnt' eat anything other than the Merrick canned food I'd convienently bought the day before we found her. Then she tried the California Natural kibbles and started having diarrhea, with the occational spot of blood in it, so I tried Felidae and miracle apon miracles, she did great on it. The other two cats, Buffy and Willow, who did great on California Natural, did even better on Felidae. Lately I've been trying different foods to see if Molly's belly issues flare up again and each time they do. I recently tried CA Natural again (we found Molly nearly 8 months ago, so I figured maybe it cleared up) but nope, diarrhea came back. Now we're spending the week on Innova, as one last desperate gasp for something she'll do good on. So far, I can't tell, and rightly so, since it'll take a week for her body to get used to it. If she still has bad diarrhea on Wednesday, I'm getting yet another bag of Felidae. I like Felidae, really I do, but I a big fan of variety and the food store I buy it at only sells one formula. 8 months on one thing is driving me crazy, lol. On Wednesday, if I buy the Felidae (which I probably will), I'm going to ask the store owner to order in a couple bags of Timberwolf Organics. Maybe Molly will do well on that, and if not, I can give the rest to the SPCA or something.

Quite often they also get frozen raw meat (ground up with bone) from the pet food store. Molly and Willow LOVE it, though Buffy doesn't know what to do with it. One day I want to convert all the cats to an all wet diet, whether that be canned (the most likely case for Buffy) or all raw (quite possible for Molly and Willow). Merrick is expensive in other places, but for some reason here it is the least expensive. So I'd use that, and for meat, I'd go with the stuff I usually buy (I think it's called Urban Carnivore)