BC Boards

Looking for Panacur-C 10-pack box

Some time ago--maybe a year?--I ordered a box of Panacur C that contained 10 or 12 smaller boxes of the 3-day individual packets. I've had computer issues since then, and lost many saved sites. I can not remember where I ordered it from. I'm reasonably certain it was one of the more major "trusted" vendors (ie, Lambert, Jeffers, Valley Vet, PetMeds, Drs. Foster & Smith, etc.) but I'm unable to find it, so I must be forgetting someone. No luck Googling, either. The sites I've looked at that actually carry the Panacur brand typically only sell the smaller 3-dose box, and sometimes the 1 lb. jar. I don't need it all that often so I prefer these individually packaged doses rather than the jar, to preserve freshness as long as possible (plus I'm not sure I want to mess around with manual dosing).

Anyone know who sells the "case" of 10?

Thanks!

I know you say you don't want to dose manually, but for a bit less than that price, I can buy a 1-L bottle of Safeguard liquid cattle dewormer (10% fenbendazole suspension = panacur). The bottle I have now I've had for at least a year and it's expiration date is 2013. There is a goat product (same formulation) that comes in a 250-mL bottle ($20 at my local TSC; cheaper through Jeffers, not counting shipping). The dose is 1 cc (mL) per 5 pounds for 3 days for intestinal worm control and 5 days if you want to get giardia too. Except for two of my dogs, I can just squirt it directly on their food and it's apparently tasteless enough that they don't hesitate to eat it (the other two are picky eaters, so if I want to make sure they get the dose they need, I have to syringe it down them). Easy peasy, and way cheaper than the pre-packaged granules. No special storage required; I just keep it in the pantry with the other dog supplies. Just throwing it out there in case you want to save money....

BTW, the cattle dewormer is what my vet dispenses as panacur when they treat dogs for giardia. (I know this because when I took the LGD in not long ago and she had giardia and spirochetes and the vet dispensed panacur, I wasn't thinking that it's fenbendazole and so paid twice as much from the vet for something I already had at home, gah!)

J.

Karen, thanks for the link. At least I can check out the vendor reviews.

Julie, thanks for explaining the dosage. The packets are 22.2% and so is the 1 lb. jar. So is the 10% equally effective at the dosage you described? I don't understand what the percentages mean so my brain is making an analogy of say, a 250mg ibuprofin tablet to a 500mg tablet. The 10% might be equally effective if you give enough of it?

Also, regarding the expiration dates...aren't expiration dates based on unopened product? So wouldn't a product opened and exposed to air break down more quickly?

These questions are why I felt a little safer doing the pre-packaged dosages, but I'm interested in possibly being able to do it myself and save some money.

Thanks!

Funny that you posted the dose for safeguard. I needed it today and couldn't find it.

I've been known to use outdated meds for up to a year and they have seemed to work and not caused issues. But that's just MPO.

Thanks, Kristen.

My concern with the expiration date is not so much that it would cause a problem such as making a dog sick, but whether they lose their efficacy; therefore either not doing a thorough job of getting all the parasites, or potentially creating a resistance to the drug, or both. I'm not as worried about being near an expiration date if the product is unopened, but if I open a jar of granules or the liquid, I would think that the expiration date becomes irrelevant and now you've got "X" amount of time to use before it naturally breaks down.

But, when I'm not sure I tend to err on the side of caution, so maybe I'm being overly-cautious. :)

Megan

I guess that's what I meant by I haven't seen any issues with whatever I'm using "not" working or building up resistance to it.

I've never considered expiration dates to be only if the package is unopened. If you think about it, we use milk or other food stuffs until the date but they all get opened before. Same with meds. I use Advil or Tylenol and throw out soon as I see they are outdated by more than a year or so.

I would assume that things reconstituted might be more sensitive but other than that....guess I'm not that careful.

Megan,

The dose I posted is the accepted dose for dogs of the 10% suspension. The 10% suspension provides 100 mg fenbendazole/mL of liquid. The percentage of the product won't change the effectiveness as long as you follow a dosing regimen that gets the correct milligrams of wormer to the dog. If I give a 40-lb dog 8 cc of Safeguard, it's getting 800 mg of fenbendazole in the 8 cc.

As for expiration date, I don't think the product deteriorates rapidly after opening. Things that have to be discarded after opening usually say so. I know that for most things, my vet has said I'm safe to go a year beyond the expiration date, but I usually don't push it that far.

As I noted, the 10% suspension is what my vet dispenses to clients to treat their pets. So I am using the *exact same thing* my vet uses. The only difference is that I buy it from a livestock supply place and so pay a lot less for it.

BTW, the person on the phone at TSC misspoke about the size of the $20 bottle of goat safeguard. It was actually 125 mL. So it's cheaper to buy the liter bottle of you have a lot of dogs to treat, but if you're treating just one of two 40-lb dogs for 5 days, then you'll use 80 mL of the small bottle that cost you $20. A bargain, even if you throw away the remaining 45 mL. If you have just one dog, then a $20 bottle will give you enough for three threatments (once quarterly), which is still a bargain.

And FWIW, I don't think any manufacturer expects that a producer will use up a wormer the first time the bottle, tube, whatever is opened. So I think it's safe to expect that the expiration date does not apply only to unopened product.

J.

Archived