BC Boards

Teaching manners with toys

RcknR

RcknR - tell your BF it's good for her brain, like a toddler playing with blocks, to get her food out of a puzzle ball. Think of how much fun puppies in the wild get having to gnaw their meals off the bones the adults leave for them!

Definitely, about the whining. Don't chatter at her when she does that - one command, then correct her by removing her to her crate. Give her about one minute, then let her out with the toy in sight. Play, then say, "That's enough!" or whatever your toy-goes-bye-bye cue will be. Make it disappear. If she whines, say, quiet, then take her to her crate. Rinse, repeat. If she stays quiet and lets you go sit down or something, tell her what a great dog she is and pop a toy out of your pocket. Play and then have her go to her rug. Release her and play again.

Variety is the spice of a Border collie's life - but with the thread of consistency running through it (how's that for a mixed metaphor?).

Thanks for tips Rebecca. Yes, I think its pretty mentally challenging for her to get her food out of the ball. She figured out a pattern.. pick up, toss, roll, treats. lol It gives her a nice quiet activity to do in the evening atleast!

Originally posted by RcknR:

Tonight I went to Petsmart, and got my dog a big orange ball with teeth grips, it has one single hole in it, for treats.

One of these?

Good%20Boy%20584.jpg?dc=4675542340778910870

I think this particular ball is excellent, especially the way they designed the hole. I HIGHLY recommend it.

YES! That's the one. She loves it. I didn't buy the treats that go with it (seemed expensive for such a small amount, knowing how fast she'd go through it) but I did buy her some type of milk bone treats and I also have put her kibble in it. She also loves just tossing it around playing.