BC Boards

New puppy

islandboy

Merlin has been with us 2 1/2 weeks and appears to be settling in well. Housebreaking is going very well. I have read that pups should be 'active' for 5 minutes/month of age as a 'rule of thumb'. He does appear to be more energetic. He comes from healthy working stock.

It has been years since we last had a dog and are new to border collies; feedback would be appreciated.

Daily routine at 10 weeks old (times approximate depending on Merlin):

• 2:00 am - Up for potty

• 5:30 - Up for potty

• 6:30 - Up for brushing and quiet time

• 7:00 - down to playroom for chase, tug, training, tug, wrestle with Boo (stuffy from breeder)

• 7:20 up for quiet time with Kong

• 7:40 - nap in den (crate)

• 8:30/9:00 - 20 to 30 min walk followed by quiet time with Kong

• 10:00 to 12:00 - nap

• 12:00 - down to playroom for chase, tug, training, tug, wrestle with Boo (stuffy from breeder)

• 12:30 quiet time with Kong

• 1:00 to 3:00 - nap

• 3:00 outside for chase, tug, training, tug

• 3:30 - 4:30/5:00 nap

• 5:00 walk, training followed by quiet time with Kong

• 5:30 - 6:30 nap

• 6:30 - playtime includes chase, tug, training, tug, wrestle with Boo

• 7:00 - lights out for the night

• 10:00 - Up for potty

My pups - all working bc parents for the last 15 years- have never read that 5 min/month of age rule. They are far more active than that. Nothing to do with me, they have to the opportunity to do what they like, they can run and play or nap at their discretion much of the day. Heck the 4 month old I have now will play by himself with his toys for a good hour while I am working before he takes a nap then is up and going again. If we are outside he will go longer, if he is playing with the 10 month old he plays longer usually. Even litters I have had will run and play with each other for 30 -45 min when they get the zoomies at 6 to 8 weeks. When I need to they are crated - while I am taking care of livestock, not home, overnight- other than that they are busy learning about the world.