Photo

If you were to own another dog breed/mix?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 pineapple

pineapple

• Registered Users
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:I used to like travelling but somehow I keep ending up with a dog...

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

I like Springer Spaniels but I also have a soft spot for Red/Irish Setters. That was my first dog. People say they are giddy but he wasn't.

#22 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

I like Springer Spaniels but I also have a soft spot for Red/Irish Setters. That was my first dog. People say they are giddy but he wasn't.

No offence, but the irish setters I have known were all "as thick as a brick".
I think that after having had this much experience with bordercollies I could not handle that level of stupidity. But who knows maybe I just met exceptional setters....

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#23 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

I don't know about another breed, but a good friend of mine has a dog I would take in a minute. In fact, this friend has let her family know that if any thing dreadful happens to her, then I get the dog.

She looks to me to be maybe a cattle dog mix. Very sweet natured and spunky at the same time, out going, and goofy. She and Gibbs play like maniacs when we get them together.

Ruth & Gibbs

#24 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

Like you, Ruth, there is a dog I would take in a heartbeat, and it is a breed I wouldn't choose except for this one. She is a 2 year old German shepherd, and as sweet, friendly, smart, playful and well behaved as they come. Great conformation,  not one of those AKC bred horrors. Strong, athletic, goofy/amusing without being overly so, and very eager to respond to what she is told to do. Not as smart as a BC, but is well trained and just a wonderful all around dog. I'd have a German shepherd if I could have one like her.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#25 alligande

alligande

• Registered Users
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

This is a game a play in my mind often, I joke that my husband and I have a stand off - no terriers - no beagles, I love small terriers and have a huge soft spot for Cairns, my husband would love a beagle but not a chance one would ever live in our house. 

I suspect I have one more border collie in me as an agility partner, but I do think about down sizing and my list is made up of dogs I don't want. My current favorite small agility dog would be a poodle, I do love that the small class has such a huge variety of little dogs, rather than the big dog class which is dominated bu border collies.

#26 rushdoggie

rushdoggie

• Registered Users
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

Well, I have 2 breeds already, and have a hard time with the idea of not having either of them. I adore my Papillons.

That said, part of me really wants a Mini or a Moyen poodle, particularly a parti colored one. Also a standard Schnauzer. I am not sure I could live with a beard (gross and stinky) but I love so many Giant and standards I have met over the years.

I also admit I kind of like a nice Chihuahua...feisty and smart.

"one dog shy of a crazy dog lady..."

c933f85e-d7ab-4b06-a588-a46b423e82d1_zps

#27 urge to herd

urge to herd

• Registered Users
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

Well, now I'll have to put Malinois on my list. There's a 2 yr old girl in my scenting class, and she is very friendly and people focused. Her human says she's always interested in people, outgoing but not pushy. Very, very sweet.

Ruth & Gibbs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.