BC Boards

Best grooming brush for undercoat?

I thought there was a thread that had pictures of a really good grooming brush for getting the undercoat. DAM***D if I can find it! :rolleyes: I need to get something other than the pin brush that I'm using since both Jazz and Cricket are managing to get into the burrs!

thanks

These are the two brushes I use. The one on the left is a lot like the ones in the thread you were looking for. On one side it has the brush that is great for getting all that loose hair, and then you can rotate it and use the other side which is good for mats or something I dont know, never really use that side lol. The other brush is also a 2-in-1 brush that I like. I have to brush my dog a lot, especially lately as it's gettin hot out, and the brush on the left is great! Every time I use it on him I end up with a big ball of hair that would normally be all over the couch and floor. And I imagine he feels cooler too.

Sorry about the crappy pic quality, I took these with my cellphone and the brush glared in the sunlight.

dogbrush1.jpg

dogbrush2.jpg

The brush with the red handle was purchased at a fair and says "Love2Pet" on the handle. Could probably find it online. The other brush is pretty standard and I think I got it at Walmart.

EDIT: I just looked up my brush and found the website. Love2Pet 2-in-1 Grooming Brush It's kinda spendy at $34.95. Im glad my mom bought it for me as a gift :rolleyes: Or.. for Lance as a gift rather.

Any undercoat rake will take loose hair out. If you actually want to thin out the undercoat, you want one of the stripping tools like the Mars Coat King or its many clones (I have the Oster version). Haven't tried the Furminator but I've been happy with what I've got. I use it to thin out Solo's coat in the summer, not so much for shedding.

I am interested in the brushes used for BC's.

I use a brush similar to the photo BorderC posted. A double sided brush. Also i use a comb sometimes.

Holly sheds a lot of fur so i am looking at alternatives. She actually sheds way more than i originally though she would as her coat isn't very long. Since i got her though i have found out that these BC's normally do shed a lot

Does anyone use a slickerbrush? i have seen these but they look a bit sharpe so i haven't tried one yet.

I think i need to try the undercoat rake as mentioned on here. :rolleyes:

I use the coat king on Dakota, it looks like some kind of weapon but it does wonders to pull out the dead, wiry coat on his butt and tail. It's a lifesaver. Then I just use a regular slicker brush or pin brush. Eve doesn't shed yet so she just gets brushed with a pin brush.

I tried the furminator and love it. It'll be my next purchase.

Hey BorderC I have that same green double sided brush. Small world, or we just shop at the same store :rolleyes:

I just use a regular pin brush on his back, sides, stomach, and butt then a slicker brush to finish off around the head, ears, and butt. It's makes him REALLY shine! It looks sharp but if you don't push to hard it won't hurt him. It did take Black Jack a few times of touch, treat, touch, treat, to get him used to how weird it feels. But now he loves it. Both of those together work really well and it only takes about fifteen to twenty minutes brush him.

Hey BorderC I have that same green double sided brush. Small world, or we just shop at the same store

Well I live in a pretty small town and walmart's pretty much the only place to get a lot of things. I'm guessing it's the same where you live :rolleyes: Walmart effectively took over here in Sonora, CA. lol

I am interested in the brushes used for BC's.

I use a brush similar to the photo BorderC posted. A double sided brush. Also i use a comb sometimes.

Holly sheds a lot of fur so i am looking at alternatives. She actually sheds way more than i originally though she would as her coat isn't very long. Since i got her though i have found out that these BC's normally do shed a lot

Does anyone use a slickerbrush? i have seen these but they look a bit sharpe so i haven't tried one yet.

I think i need to try the undercoat rake as mentioned on here. :rolleyes:

I have a slicker brush and it has made both my dogs to hide when it appears.They bvoth used to love being brushed with my super cheap double sided brush but they hate the sharp slicker one. It obviously HURTS I wouldnt recommend one even though it gets out alot hair .I think its prbably still attatched ha ha ha

The shedding blade works wonders on Millie's coat. It really gets fur out from her undercoat. She has a medium-length coat but it's very thick and there's fur to brush out and keep up with every day. Her other double sided brush -I can't remember what on Earth it's called at the moment- is good, but I always use it in combination with the blade.

I've not tried the furminator yet. *goes to get more info*

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...p;hl=Furminator

check the link :D

btw I :rolleyes: the furminator

you can get it cheap cheaper on costco .com PLUS it will come with the shampoo and other goodies, I have the small one and I think you can get it for 26.99 online at costco with the goodies and I bought it at petsmart for $33

I use among others a slicker brush on my 2. Except, not just the ordinary slicker. I actually went to a slicker I use for my cats (VERY LONG FURRRRR). It's specially made for cats sensitive skin, called a "soft pin"? The bed where the pins attach to the handle has a cushiony give, and the pins are not so dang sharp (I wouldn't want that on me either!!!), and they don't seem to mind the soft pin slicker. Another thing that helps is a leave-in detangler/conditioner with a slicker. Does wonders for the collie butts & tails!! (we like "T.H.E. STUFF")

I use a slicker brush and an undercoat rake on Jake. I have a furminator too, but I'm not really liking how it works on him. Maybe Jake's coat is just too thick, because it doesn't give very good results (the cats, on the other hand, create cat bodies of their own, lol). The undercoat rake works better than the furminator, or so I found. I think that it's just because of Jake's coat, though (really thick, and long to boot, which makes it harder for the furminator to reach down to the dead hair).

I use the slicker first, to get out the snags and to smooth out the coat, then I use the rake to remove loose hair. I use only the slicker on his tail because it's easier to get the tangles out (the rake just grabs at a tangle and yanks, while the bristles on the slicker have some give to them so the tangle can pull free from the brush before being ripped apart, lol)

I love my slicker brush and the dogs don't mind it at all. The thing to be aware of though is that there are several different types of slickers. Some are flat, some are curved, and some have different lenths of pins. I used to think I had a great slicker, it took out lots of hair but the brushing was hard work. After years of using it I broke the handle and my mom gave me one that she had bought but seldom used. I couldn't believe the difference! I find it so much easeir to work with (which really helps since I have tendon damage in my wrist and was finding grooming was becoming difficult) and it takes out even more hair. It's a Vista shedding slicker with 2 different lengths of bristles, and it's meant for longer haired, double-coated breeds. I think she got it at Wal-Mart, but I've also seen the sames ones at Paulmac's. The other thing I use is an undercoat/shedding rake and it also works well, but I find that the shedding slicker really cuts down the amount of time and effort I have to spend on grooming.

I love my slicker brush and the dogs don't mind it at all. The thing to be aware of though is that there are several different types of slickers. Some are flat, some are curved, and some have different lenths of pins. I used to think I had a great slicker, it took out lots of hair but the brushing was hard work. After years of using it I broke the handle and my mom gave me one that she had bought but seldom used. I couldn't believe the difference! I find it so much easeir to work with (which really helps since I have tendon damage in my wrist and was finding grooming was becoming difficult) and it takes out even more hair. It's a Vista shedding slicker with 2 different lengths of bristles, and it's meant for longer haired, double-coated breeds. I think she got it at Wal-Mart, but I've also seen the sames ones at Paulmac's. The other thing I use is an undercoat/shedding rake and it also works well, but I find that the shedding slicker really cuts down the amount of time and effort I have to spend on grooming.

I think that's what's different with my slicker brush. It's not as hard as some of them so it doesn't hurt him. I saw one a few days ago that was so hard I couldn't see how anyone could use it.