BC Boards

Puppy Stuff

Gotta put my mind someplace else for a while and I think some shopping is in order very soon.

I haven't had a puppy in 12 years and I'd love input from those who have more recent, or more extensive, experience on what you recommend that one have on hand before puppy comes home. Almost all of Speedy's puppy stuff is long gone, but I have a few things.

I'll be borrowing an appropriately sized crate from a friend with a beagle for as long as he is small enough to use it.

I have a buckle collar I can use while he is young. I have a food bowl. I have two bouncy (and hopefully tough) rubber toys at the ready.

I have Nature's Miracle type stuff.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. What did you find indispensable? Useful? Just plain good to have on hand? Or what did you not have that you wished you had?

And what kinds of toys are good and safe for a puppy to use for chewing?

Dean and Tessa should leave most of the puppy stuff alone - neither of them are super destructive with toys and mostly stick with their orange Chuck-it balls for play, but I will avoid anything small enough that one of them might have an issue with it, just to be safe.

An x-pen. It protects the pup from getting accidently squashed by the older dogs and it gives the older dogs a break from the little monster.

Toys: Kongs and nylabones.

Tons of papertowels

I would not count on the older dogs leaving puppy stuff alone. Bringing a puppy into the house will rock your dogs' worlds' and you may see uncharacteristic behaviors from the older dogs

I will say that, in retrospect, I reeeeaaaaally wish I'd had an x-pen. It would've made life a lot easier. If you don't have an x-pen at least get a few baby gates so you can block off rooms and section off areas to contain the little monster. ;)

This is a really small detail, but having a loud ticking clock (I think I got one from Walmart for under $5.00) near the crate at night helps the puppy relax a bit. I've heard it simulates the heartbeat of his momma'. However, if you sleep with him in bed or he's with the other dogs, it might be a moot point for you.

Now I'll be thinking about this throughout the day... I'll edit if (likely when) I think of other stuff!

I have been considering an x-pen. It's something that I have kind of wanted for quite some time. There have been times when it would have been very handy with the number of dogs I've had when we have been on trips. It is something I could even have outside in the shade when we are out in the yard in the summer. The yard is fenced, but there will probably be times when I will want to keep a closer eye on him out there.

My house isn't really set up to be able to gate off rooms, so if I want to contain him in the main room where we hang out, or the kitchen while we are cooking, but not have him in a crate, an x-pen is really the only option. It seems like a good investment.

The clock tip is a good one. I do plan to have him sleep right next to me, but that might be good for other times.

These is great input!!

Ditto on the ex-pen. I haven't used mine in a while, but they're so much help with a puppy.

This is so exciting, and I hope it will help you heal maybe just a little faster. It's sure to keep your mind busy at least. :P

Be sure to post pictures of the little tree, or whatever he turns into after he gets to you.

I had a single Kong and only one stuffing for it. I think 3 is a better number and I've learned about layering food, yogurt, and other things and freezing it since then.

If all your leashes are the 6 foot variety, a longer leash so it is long enough for tethering and working on a recall. And nasty tasting spray for the things you pup shouldn't chew on, like that leash.

I know having the new puppy here will help. A new little guy to get to know and introduce to so much. I'm glad that after the first few weeks, I'll be on summer break and we will have the whole summer to play and get to know each other. It will be bittersweet in a lot of ways, but some new life is exactly what we need. And training a puppy is going to be so cool.

And I will definitely share tons and tons and tons and tons of pictures, and videos. Maybe a better camera should be on my supply list. :P

He will remain a tree at first. Name is one area where my husband and I cannot agree!! He hates every name I suggest and I hate every name he suggests!! There are a couple of maybe's on our short list that we would both be OK with, but neither of us are terribly excited about any of them. So, we are just going to see what we see. We'll call him by his tree name, or "Puppy" until we figure something out.

I like a harness for those first few weeks when I am trying to leash break a pup. They tend to do stupid things like rush to the end of the leash and not realize it will hurt when they hit the end.

Puzzle toys are good. Kong, Kibble Nibble, Busy Buddy Linkables

This litter is really into toys with a high pitched squeaker, Holee Rollers, Jolly Balls, leaves, my pants and sheep skin slippers. :rolleyes:

I don't leave anything but sturdy puzzle toys in the crate with an unsupervised pup. Too much potential to shred bedding or stuffed toys and eat them. They are already chewing on chemical free, USA made rawhide rolls.

I like to have a 6ft leash and 10 ft leash. That comes in handy when traveling and trying to get a pup who isn't yet leash broken to potty.

Zero Odor is the best puppy accident cleaning solution ever. Worth every penny.

If you have an x pen, a heavy duty tarp to put underneath and protect the floor is good to have.

Christine,

Thanks for starting this thread! I also appreciate having these great suggestions in one place.

Once the pup gets to the chewing stage, I found that if I wanted to tie out my last pup, I needed a cable or chain tie-out since he could gnaw through any type of rope, climbing rope, leash, etc. within about 15 seconds. Then he was off to the races !... just blasting around and having a great time. Good thing he had a good recall and I usually carried treats with me.

Liz, I was wondering about a harness. What size?

And I would love a DSLR after seeing all the great pics on these boards, but not sure that is going to make the list. :(

I second the x-pen (they are just so useful and adaptable) and the heavy-duty tarp to put under it. I got ours through Amazon, great price and free shipping. I just could not beat that anywhere else. DD has one with a built-in gate and I don't know how good that would be for a pup but I sure loved using it compared to my multiple-clips-or-reach-over ones without a gate. And that reminds me - use multiple clips to secure the opening, starting from the very bottom to the very top (I use at least three, one top, one bottom, one middle) or a clever pup/dog will figure out how to wiggle out or, worse yet, climb up and get stuck. And I alternate the clips, one on the diagonal from upper left to lower right across the horizontal, and the next on the diagonal from right to left, so there isn't any play between the panels.

Enjoy!

Sue, I bought new x pens for this litter, including one with a walk through gate. Worth it! I used to always have puppy escapes with the old pens. I can shut the door quickly to contain the beasts this time. It is lighter than my old pens, which means it may not hold up to older pups as well. I also overlap the edges a little to make my pens sturdier.

They do make x pen lids to help prevent escape, but I have never trusted an x pen to contain an unsupervised pup outside.

Not sure of harness size. I bought large H style cat harnesses years ago for use on pups. I've had the same ones for many, many pups. Once they outgrow them I put them in storage and use them again the next time I have an ankle biter. I like the cat H style harnesses because they seem to fit better and be less likely to allow the pup to slip out and escape.

x pen for corralling but not crating puppy or for use blocking off areas

several Kongs because its much easier to fill a few and stick them in the freezer and have them handy than to fill one every time you want one

bully sticks for safe chewing (ymmv, but I found bullies consistently liked, hard to rip chunks off of and when bought in bulk they are not so bad)

extra crates so you can have one in the bedroom, one in the main area of your house and maybe one for the office/sewing room/craft room if you spend a lot of time in such a room where theres too much to get into, allowing puppy to hang with you with a chewy but not chew cords, glue bottles, sewing pins, etc

harness with a loop on the back and drag lines so puppy can be caught without chasing him down in the yard, etc. Errorless learning!

I like a harness for those first few weeks when I am trying to leash break a pup. They tend to do stupid things like rush to the end of the leash and not realize it will hurt when they hit the end.

I wouldn't have thought of this! Good idea.

Puzzle toys are good. Kong, Kibble Nibble, Busy Buddy Linkables

This litter is really into toys with a high pitched squeaker, Holee Rollers, Jolly Balls, leaves, my pants and sheep skin slippers. :rolleyes:

That is so cool! I've never had a dog that liked Jolly Balls!!

I don't leave anything but sturdy puzzle toys in the crate with an unsupervised pup. Too much potential to shred bedding or stuffed toys and eat them. They are already chewing on chemical free, USA made rawhide rolls.

What kinds of puzzle toys do you get to leave in the crate? If you don't mind my asking!

I like to have a 6ft leash and 10 ft leash. That comes in handy when traveling and trying to get a pup who isn't yet leash broken to potty.

Zero Odor is the best puppy accident cleaning solution ever. Worth every penny.

If you have an x pen, a heavy duty tarp to put underneath and protect the floor is good to have.

All good input! Thanks!! :)

I second the x-pen (they are just so useful and adaptable) and the heavy-duty tarp to put under it. I got ours through Amazon, great price and free shipping. I just could not beat that anywhere else. DD has one with a built-in gate and I don't know how good that would be for a pup but I sure loved using it compared to my multiple-clips-or-reach-over ones without a gate. And that reminds me - use multiple clips to secure the opening, starting from the very bottom to the very top (I use at least three, one top, one bottom, one middle) or a clever pup/dog will figure out how to wiggle out or, worse yet, climb up and get stuck. And I alternate the clips, one on the diagonal from upper left to lower right across the horizontal, and the next on the diagonal from right to left, so there isn't any play between the panels.

Enjoy!

Thanks!! All excellent information!! I know I will refer back to this!!

x pen for corralling but not crating puppy or for use blocking off areas

Definitely not for crating!!

several Kongs because its much easier to fill a few and stick them in the freezer and have them handy than to fill one every time you want one

bully sticks for safe chewing (ymmv, but I found bullies consistently liked, hard to rip chunks off of and when bought in bulk they are not so bad)

extra crates so you can have one in the bedroom, one in the main area of your house and maybe one for the office/sewing room/craft room if you spend a lot of time in such a room where theres too much to get into, allowing puppy to hang with you with a chewy but not chew cords, glue bottles, sewing pins, etc

Oh yeah!! There will be no going into my classroom to tell one of my students that my dog shredded her homework this time around. :P

harness with a loop on the back and drag lines so puppy can be caught without chasing him down in the yard, etc. Errorless learning!

I actually did use the x-pen (along with the crate) for confining Dan when he was a small pup. The x-pen was clipped to the crate (a three-gated 36" crate) to the left of the long side crate gate (which was securely clipped to the x-pen so it couldn't swing shut on him unless I unclipped and shut it) and then to the rear right end of the crate. There was furniture and a fireplace raised hearth that provided support on two sides of the x-pen, and the two ends were firmly attached to the crate with multiple snaps, so the x-pen was very solid. A heavy-duty tarp was under it all, and a black construction pan with shredded newspaper was there for a litter box (like the one his litter had used when they were smaller). It would not have worked for a very determined pup (or dog) or a climber, but Dan was excellent and this served as his "puppy palace" from eight weeks of age to about four or five months of age or so. Celt, Bute, and Megan were all crated next to the palace so he never felt alone.

Puppypalace_zps83956fe5.jpg

Why did I do it this way? Since I worked and Dan would be confined from 7 am until about 2:30 pm, when the neighbor boy would get off the bus and take Dan outside and potty him and play with him, and then again until I would get home from work around 5 pm, I didn't want him to not be able to get away from his sleeping area if he had to relieve himself. So I gave him more room and the litter box, which he was accustomed to from his litter home. And, from nine weeks of age on, he actually never once relieved himself in his x-pen or crate - he's a very clean boy, not wanting to do his big stuff anywhere near the house but liking his "privacy".

So, you figure out what works for you.

Congratulations on a new puppy! I am also about to pick up my (first ever) puppy, so I am eagerly reading the suggestions.

I second the question of what height does everyone recomend for the x pen? Does anyone have preferences for a long line for the puppy to drag in terms of weight and length (or suggested material - leash vs. twine vs. biothane)?

And this will probably sound like a silly question, but about what size crate does everyone start out with? I know you can use dividers, but for a typical border collie puppy, what should the crate size be from the beginning?