BC Boards

Getting a Male Puppy - Jack

Hello everyone, newbie here!

I'm so excited to be adding a Border Collie Puppy to our family in 6 weeks! Yup, I said it, 6 more weeks of waiting! :$

Anyways, luckily I'm feeling confident with our breeder we picked - we did almost 6mo of research to find them and have met previous litter pups - all is good there. :)

Question is this: they have told us we can come back by whenever we want to, to hold the pups, etc but WHEN is the best time? We get to help finalize our selection at 6wks old & then pick up at 8wks. But I have a hard time imaging falling in love with 'the one they chose for me' if I haven't met them previously. Should I go around a month old to see them? Perhaps to ease the excitement? Lol

Congrats on your new puppy. I hope s/he is lots of fun.

If you trust the breeder enough to buy a puppy from them, trust them to pick out the best puppy for you. They will know their pups better than you will since they will be seeing and interacting them every day. You will have only visited once or a couple times. Don't let surface characteristics like markings sway you. The important characteristic is how well the personality fits what you want.

From what I have heard from others who have puppies, the personalities of the pups keep changing when they are very young (4-7 weeks old) i.e. a fearful pup at 4 weeks may turn around into a more confident pup at 7 weeks. This is the reason many breeders do not choose the pups for their clients until around 7 weeks.

I have bought 2 pups from breeders long-distance and have let the breeder choose for me. We did have a good conversation about what type of pup I was looking for with regard to what type of personality I was looking for and what my future plans for the pup were. I have been very pleased.

Hello everyone, newbie here!

I'm so excited to be adding a Border Collie Puppy to our family in 6 weeks! Yup, I said it, 6 more weeks of waiting! :$

Anyways, luckily I'm feeling confident with our breeder we picked - we did almost 6mo of research to find them and have met previous litter pups - all is good there. :)

Question is this: they have told us we can come back by whenever we want to, to hold the pups, etc but WHEN is the best time? We get to help finalize our selection at 6wks old & then pick up at 8wks. But I have a hard time imaging falling in love with 'the one they chose for me' if I haven't met them previously. Should I go around a month old to see them? Perhaps to ease the excitement? Lol

Trust your breeder. :) I bought my latest pup (now 18 months) from a breeder clear across the country, so I never saw anything but photos of her until she stepped out of that airline crate. Trust me, you will fall in love. One look at that precious little face, one sniff of that puppy breath, one chomp of those little needle teeth on your trouser legs and you'll be totally smitten. :wub:

You don't have to prep yourself for loving a puppy. And you don't have to worry that they'll some how pick you an un-loveable puppy. That just ain't gonna happen. :P Best of luck!

~ Gloria