BC Boards

Recall and hearing loss

So having refreshed the recall on my elderly dog, and having her do quite well, I noticed a regression again relatively recently. This isn't because she's being 'bad'- it's because she's gone quite deaf and can no longer hear you talk.

She can hear loud television volume, a big slam or something, but when I shout for her loudly the other dogs interpret it as 'angry', as does she sometimes. And it can be hard for her to hear it if she is farther away.

Any tips? Vibrating collars are a bit outside my price range, might check a pawn shop for them. I was thinking of getting a small torch to shine at her feet as a recall. I'm training a 'one arm raised high in the air' recall but something handier for night-time would be good, since this time of year it's dark early. Inside the house she follows hand signals. Outside she's often a bit farther away, there are more distractions, she may not be able to see them etc.

As she gets older the walk becomes a bigger part of her life, she can still smell just as well as she ever did so she loves her off-lead rambles. She doesn't tend to wander or run away, either, and we often walk in fenced-in areas where there may still be other dogs and people. I'd just like to be able to get her back to me quickly, or have some way to alert her that we are still walking and she needs to come with. I don't want to take away what she loves.

Anything else I will need to watch out for? I know she's easier to startle, so I'm stomping my feet before approaching her if she's lying down/facing away from me.

Edited to add: she can still see very well, is active etc. I did consider a laser pointer either but wasn't sure if it would be big enough for her to see- and I don't think I would ever hit her eyes accidentally, the idea would be to shine it at a space in front of her that she could see, but it is a risk to consider. She does a lot of smelling and stopping which frustrates our other arthritic dog, so I will often walk one on- and one off-leash in a quiet safe area.

I have a deaf dog.

My suggestion would be if in doubt re: safety, use a long line. It's danged hard to be SURE with a deaf dog because even if they're perfectly trained they have to see you to respond.

That disclaimer out of the way, I use a flashlight to recall my deaf dog in the dark. It's just loaded like a clicker and used just the way you described - I point it at her feet or near by. It does not do a blasted thing if the dog is turned away from you since you can't shine it in front of the dog easily, but otherwise it's pretty good. Bottom line that signal (the flashlight/torch) means "THERE ARE TREATS!" and there always are, for that.

I have and use a long line, and she would always be on lead around roads or any kind of danger. I also have a flexi-lead (I know, I know, but it took 14 years before she ever had one on!) which is good for areas where I could have let her off before. Walking multiple dogs, the long line can get a bit difficult to manage.

I rely a lot on voice signals- I use a 'let's go' instead of tugging the collar when on-lead, I call the dogs to me to get their leads on if another dog is passing etc. So this is a big adjustment.

Try clapping. I have the same issue with raising my voice and making the other dogs worried. Clapping has always helped get the oldersters' attention. I also have used a flexi for the geriatrics in places where we could get separated (sheepdog trials and the like). If there's a chance that *you* could lose sight of your dog, try using bells on her collar or a flashing collar (for low light) so YOU can see where she is and go closer to her to get her attention.

J.

I find it best to start training for deafness before it takes too strong a hold.

Even the one that has always had the worst recall has learned to respond to arms high and wide followed by a treat but I trained it as if they were starting out as a pup.

Most dogs will check in visually from time to time as long as their vision isn't too poor and that's the time to "call" them.

We don't go out in the dark. One needs to be watched so she doesn't get lost but the others can be trusted and will come back even if they go out of sight.

Currently have three that are pretty hard of hearing.

I will also say that with my deaf dog I see a lot more watching and checking in. She's always been stone deaf, though, so that MAY not be something your girl picks up. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she *does* start doing that, though. They're smart cookies and dogs rely on body language more than words, anyway. Once they realize you're 'talking to them' with your hands or body, they REALLY key in.

Like CptJack I've noticed the deaf dogs I've had checked in and watched me more closely. I've always used hand signals with all my dogs and it came in handy for one of mine who went deaf early and for those due to age. Having multiple dogs, I found that even when my deaf ones were not looking my direction on walks, they would look around to see where the others were and cue off them to come back to me.

She's pretty good on hand signals for the basic ordinary things ('sit', 'stay', 'up', 'find it', pointing for directions, 'crate', 'lie down', 'good dog' and 'bad dog', 'time to play' I do a rather embarrassing little dance for but luckily that's only done at home.)

She can get a fright when she gets really distracted by a scent, then looks up and you're not where she expected you to be, hence the recall thing. And sometimes I want her to come over before another dog sees her, so I can be beside her and then point out the other dog and stick a leash on her. She can get a fright when another dog comes up behind her, and it took a lot of work to get her not-reactive around other dogs even before the deafness.

Thank you Sekah! I've seen electric collar fence systems for sale in the pawn shop, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I might find a second-hand vibrating collar there too. Nothing for it but regular checking, looking at different sources, and hope.

My girl is 15, she is now deaf, she only has one eye and that eye is cloudy. She still responds to clapping, even at some distance. She moves slower than molasses so I don't worry about her getting too far away from me fast. When I clap she stops what she is doing and starts to look around for me. When she looks at me I wave my arms and she starts toward me.

Not sure how handy you are, but my go to with out-of-price-range things is always to try making them:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-a-simple-Radio-Control-toy-to-a-Dog-Caller/?ALLSTEPS

Edit:

Also this one, using a remote control vibrator. :lol: Hey, whatever works right?

http://www.ehow.com/how_6533249_homemade-vibrating-collars-dog-training.html

My deaf oldster, who is trained to whistles, doesn't seem to hear them anymore. IME with five or six older dogs now, the deeper or sharper (but not high pitched), more resonant noises (like clapping or a low, loud voice<--hard for me because I have a fairly light, higher pitched voice) seem to get a better response.

If clapping means "stop what you're doing," then that might well be a suitable cue for the old dog to stop and look around, unless you're worried it will affect everyone else.

J.

• 3 months later...

So I got a little torch I can click on and off, and she seems to be getting the hang of it. BUT it's not visible in daylight.

I noticed it also has a laser pointer on it. This will go even farther, right? So I tried it. Once. She immediately reacted as if it was a living prey object, unlike the beam of white light. So we then spent the rest of the lesson rewarding her for not reacting to it, and I'm going to tape over that particular button.

Yes, I know, I know, listen to the boards members in future. This is the least OCD dog ever. Holy crap. Do not ever do anything as stupid as what I almost did.

Like Julie and jvw, I clap these days to get Jester to come in. If that doesn't work I slam the door a couple of times. Sometimes I have to go get him and maybe one day that will be what I have to do all the time. He doesn't hear me calling, or a whistle (either by my mouth or one I blow into, both of which he had a very solid recall to before he went somewhat deaf). I have thought about using the porch light at night, off and on, but I think he's too likely not to notice that.

I don't know what your budget is, but there are some very affordable vibrating collars on amazon 30$ or so. Then again, not sure how good they'd be and probably not waterproof, so I guess it depends on your dogs normal routine. Maybe a whistle, or something outside the normal range of sounds? If she can still hear somethings, a nice loud whistle may not be interpreted as angry like a raised voice. Or she may have loss of hearing only of certain frequencies...