BC Boards

Sources of running "Aframe" training

I have been giving a lot of thought to my youngsters contacts and decided that I will train a stopped contact on the dog walk and a running Aframe, BUT I can't find any current info on training a running Aframe, Rachel Sanders DVD is the only thing I can find and that was published in 2008 and there has to be a wealth of knowledge about what works now as it has become so much more common place.

All the online courses are really about a running dog walk which is a very different set of criteria.

So any suggestions? You all helped me find a great foundation course so hopping I might get lucky a second time.

As you probably already know, the S Trckman running DW training says the AF "comes for free", but I don't have any personal experience with that. I have the Rachel Sanders DVD and started the training, but never followed through. I was pleased with the progress when I was training with her technique - even more so because, at the time, I was a novice handler with a green, pushy dog. I know you know enough about the different agility training techniques that you could use the Rachel Sanders DVD as a starting point and put your own spin on it.

Thanks ladies, I have been unsure about Rachel Sanders DVD as it was published 9 years ago at the start of the running contact craze and there seems to have been so many developments and ideas on how to get the perfect running contact.

I don't want a running dog walk as I have ended up with another large border collie and as a short middle aged woman I don't stand a chance without a stop, so Ms Trkman is out.

Kristi can you tell me anything more about Dawn Weavers techniques on the frame, does she use stride regulators? It is an expensive book so want to make sure it is a good investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Dawn uses a cardboard box, a mat, and a hoop for the running contact training. If I recall correctly - I don't have the book with me right now, but I did read through it and it seems those were all of the items used.

I still haven't decided.

I have ordered Dawn's book which at least will give me some new ideas. The trainer I occasionally work with in England has offered to walk me through the process online if I don't find anything organized. She trained her youngster the concept in 2 months and had it proofed and solid in 4 using stride regulators.

Planning on starting his running Aframe around 14 months and will probably begin his stopped contacts in the next month (he turned 11 months yesterday)

Kristine's comment about using a hoop reminded me of one instructor who thought that Torque could be forced into hitting the contact zone on the DW (running) if she placed the tunnel at the end of the DW - and touching the DW - and added a hoop so he couldn't jump the contact, forcing him to go low and stride through the contact.

Umm no. Torque was slick enough that he could still stride over, not through, the contact zone despite being 'flattened out' by the presence of the hoop and the tunnel. I had to laugh because I didn't think this strategy would work for Torque, but she insisted it would because it worked for her speedy working-bred Lab.

Border collies are just different.

With Dawn's progression, the hoop comes much later in the training. By then the dog should have a very solid idea of the actual criteria for the contact. If I recall correctly, it is a tool used in the transition to more independence, not to train the actual running contact.

Whether doing stopped or running through Dawn's process, you start with the cardboard box and the mat.