BC Boards

Fireworks

I note that according to our town ordinances:

Fireworks may be used during private celebrations from New Year's Eve through January 1.

Please know the difference of each kind of firework and the laws associated with them.

Display Fireworks - ILLEGAL

Those that shoot into the air and may detonate are NOT legal for private use. Please see them at public displays or use with special permits. Fireworks made from a high amount of black power are not allowed: Black Cats, Bottle Rockets, Firecrackers, M-80s, and Roman Candles.

I have two dogs who are shaking and panic stricken from the firecrackers and aerial fireworks. Of course, the above mentioned fireworks are illegal to use, but perfectly legal to purchase. Go figure.

We have that issue here. Anything more than a sprarkler is illegal to use here, except for agricultural purposes. If you have fish in a pond, you may buy just about anything to scare the birds away from them. It's amazing how many people suddenly have bird problems around New Years and July 4th, but don't have problems with the birds any other times. What gets me is they have to sign a legal affidavit saying what the fireworks etc. are for. I guess I just have too much integrity for that. I'm lucky so far, my dogs are only slightly anxious about fireworks, and my horses haven't been hurt by anything launched onto my property yet.

Sorry I'm late to the party (pun intended) but maybe this'll be helpful another time.

2 of my dogs are frightened by fireworks and thunderstorms. I give them 3 mg. of melatonin (plain melatonin, nothing else added). It's not 100%, but it calms them enough that they're nervous instead of frightened, and I think that's a good improvement.

On other threads here, people have mentioned using L-theanine.

HTH

NY isn't as much of a problem here.We get some (including a few very large ones someone set off at 2:30 which is pretty obnoxious, imo) but its not the July 4 two week long barrage. They are not legal on NY like they are July 4.

My little old lady Papillon doesn't like them but isn't terrorized by them...she just won't pee if she hears anything even close to a boom anywhere, so I have to get up at 4 am to let her out. But otherwise, the fireworks roar is low.

Well, we survived the night, though foster boy Ceri* is glued to my side today. This was the worst New Year's night since we moved here six years ago. Both dogs were crated for the night in the bedroom with me there to calm them down during the major episodes.

Note*: Ceri was running the streets less than two weeks back, so I have no idea what he would have done if some kind folks hadn't helped him by contacting our rescue.

Well, Dixie must be way more jackal than border collie.

Fergie would have had generic benedryl - and still have hidden in the little downstairs bathroom or under a bed upstairs. Dixie is a very different dog!

When the first fireworks went off, she rushed to our French doors and hunkered down like she does when the 8-point buck or a fox comes to snack. She wanted to find the fireworks! When I took her out before bed, she wanted to hunt for whatever was left, although the bangs were over.

Heck, on July 4, she - honestly - dragged me down the hill to where the kids were setting off quite a display. She sat and enjoyed it!

NY isn't as much of a problem here.We get some (including a few very large ones someone set off at 2:30 which is pretty obnoxious, imo) but its not the July 4 two week long barrage.

I'm in the Southern Tier of upstate NY, and there's someone here who sets off fireworks every night for a month after the 4th of July. :angry:

Makes it very hard for my fraidy dogs.