BC Boards

Dress code for trialing?

gcv-border

Plenty of handlers wear (clean) jeans, a t-shirt and baseball cap at local trials. I don't feel that is disrespectful because we are simulating farm work. I like to pick out a shirt that supports Border Collie Rescue, local sheepdog groups and other causes, so that is one reason I sometimes am in more casual clothing. I would dress up for a finals round, if it wasn't freezing or pouring rain.

Plenty of handlers wear (clean) jeans, a t-shirt and baseball cap at local trials. I don't feel that is disrespectful because we are simulating farm work. I like to pick out a shirt that supports Border Collie Rescue, local sheepdog groups and other causes, so that is one reason I sometimes am in more casual clothing. I would dress up for a finals round, if it wasn't freezing or pouring rain.

I think it depends on the trial and the venue, really. For smaller events, especially, I've seen plenty of people show up in jeans and a nice T-shirt and they look just fine. Plus I'll darned sure wear a ball cap if it's too windy for my straw hat. Like you, mine will have something to do with Border Collies. :)

I think there's just a difference between looking neatly casual, and looking like you just crawled out of sleeping in the hay loft. I've seen a very few people, over the years, show up looking pretty frumpy and give-a-hoot, and that was just ... tacky, IMHO.

~ Gloria

Oh, good lord! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Is that Derek! Toooo funny!

~ Gloria

Derek has been know to wear "boy cut" Speedos at the luau trial and, of course, his signature ukelele. Not everyone was amused but if the theme is "luau"...

Sometimes I am crawling out of a sleeping bag and getting putting on cloths that are wrinkle resistant, mostly resistant anyway. Those of you with campers sometimes forget how lucky you are. Some day I will have one as well, though I don't foresee myself stepping up to the post in an evening gown. ;)

For our trial's double lift finals the handlers always dress nicely. Some of the men wear ties-this year Jim Martin wore one with sheep on it.

As a trial host, I've never considered people wearing jeans & t-shirts a slap in the face. You'd be hard pressed to find me in anything but that.

Laura

Archived