BC Boards

BC Puppy toys

Hello all,

I am new to this board so be patient! I have a BC puppy on the way next Thursday (see attached photos). My question is simple, what toys / basic training aids does everyone suggest I buy? I have a general idea of what I need however I was just curious to everyones opinions. Thanks!!!

post-9395-1232386947_thumb.jpg

post-9395-1232386956_thumb.jpg

Hello and Welcome!

What a adorable little pup you have coming. Be sure to share lots of pics with us.

I will put a vote in for a Kong or other toys of that nature. They are great for chewing on, freeze them for a good treat while teething, and they are also interactive for a busy border collie mind.

As for training, I personally think that consistancy is key and also making it fun!

What a cutie! What are you going to name him?

For toys, see what he likes. I know when Rush was a puppy she wasnt much interested in kongs (that was just her though, my other dog gladly took her kong lol), we have the same one still, she will catch it like a ball and bring it back. But every dog has different tastes, see what he likes! Squeaky toys in my experience are great at catching attention, if you arent careful they get REALLY annoying though lol.

I have specific toys for training specific things. I keep them up so my dogs cant get to them, but when they see them, they usually know its time to do that thing. Like in Agility I have a few different toys. Obedience I use fleece tugs or chuckit balls (the rubber ones). They vary, but they have those specific toys and then they have the toys they play with all the time. I do this mostly so they are more motivated to work, because they only see that toy specifically when its time for training. I think someone from this forum (or another forum) gave me the advice to do that, and it made everything a lot more fun for Rush.

Training aids, lol, a clicker is the only thing that comes to mind. But I agree with what was said earlier, consistency is key (in my opinion as well - living example of why consistency is important lol)

Hope you share more pics after you get him! he is a doll :rolleyes: Good Luck! I'm sure you two will be great!

Diane

• 2 weeks later...
My votes: Kong, tug toy, puppy size ball, and something that squeaks. I think that covers all of your bases.

As far as toys go, my bc loves kong ball filled with treats, small nylabones and a never ending supply of tennis balls! She wants to play catch, fetch, and a game of hide/seek with the balls all day long!!!!! Sometimes I truly believe she is ocd with the balls. I hide them in storage bins with pillows and other stuff on top and she works like crazy to get the balls out. It is becoming more difficult to outwit her everyday and she will be 6 months on Feb 6. Truly the light and love of my life. :rolleyes:

We've recently discovered Hol-ee Rollers, which are hollow rubber balls, that kind of look like a buckyball (chemists will know what I mean). They can be tugged by two dogs and are very strong, but they are also very lightweight and don't break things if you succumb to the temptation to throw them around indoors. Actually, I kick them around. When I yell "floor hockey!!" my two eagerly take up their respective positions in the kitchen and the game begins. These balls are light enough to be quite easy for a puppy to pick up and carry. The rubber is like Kong rubber, not gonna break.

Hol-ee Rollers