BC Boards

Flick

sea4th

"There are others, this much is true, but they are they. They aren't you"

I go to the door to let the dogs out - or in. When they are, I still stand there holding the door open for the one who isn't there, the one I wish like h-ll would be, should be. Today, I said "C'mon Flick" and gave myself a mental dope slap. 2 yrs ago today, Flick died.

That spot on the bed that was hers --- it's empty, but damn, it feels like she's still there.

Every now and then, when I'm sitting at the computer, like now, or in the recliner, watching TV, I'll start, thinking there is a dog, namely Flick, at my feet, when in fact there is no dog there.

And then I wonder if I'm losing it, that the death of a dog should affect me this way. And then I think, I don't really care. If I were to lose it, my mind takes the memory of this little dog with it.

And then I think something needs to grow out of the pain of her loss. And my thoughts then gravitate to wanting to see other dogs, especially the throw-aways, whether they are border collies or not, be given a chance to be what Flick was to me and that there are those out there who deserve, who need a Flick in their lives. Everyone should have a Flicka in their lives, if only once.

I miss her so.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=588...mp;id=588060522

My thoughts are with you Vicki, - it's very hard when that special one leaves you - I found this quote - I think Flick is very much with you always

One last word of farewell, dear master and mistress. Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loves us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.

Eugene O'Neill

Vicki, I don't think you're losing it. I think you still miss a beloved companion who was there every time you looked around, for many years. I think you miss the particular sense of 'rightness' in the world, every time Flick looked at you and wagged her tail.

I think you miss your heart's outpouring of love, when you heard her sigh, or when she nudged your hand, just to remind you she was still there.

You're not loosing it, you're remembering what wonderful joy you had with Flicka, and you miss her like crazy.

Ruth

Even with four dogs in the house now - I still think of my sheltie Jake (03/15/08) and get choked up. I try to redirect my thoughts to all the wonderful times we had together. Does it ever get easier???? I am afraid not..... but better to have known that special dog than not.

I know you never really "get over" them. The loss of her daddy, Pete, who is in my avatar was another stunner. With Flick, it's as though she died yesterday, that sometimes she still feels so close that I can touch her.

Each dog takes with it something unique, but they also leave something behind that's uniquely themselves. It's just harder with some than others, isn't it.

So, life goes on and you go on doing what life demands and you never forget them.

Thank you.

Oh Vicki, it's been two years already? I remember when Flick died. I cried along with you--for your loss, and for the loss I knew would eventually come to break my heart. Scooter will be six in December. Didn't we just get him as a puppy? The time has flown by. This section is always a reminder to us that their lives are way too short and their death could come at any time. Knowing that, we still willingly give our love wholeheartedly to these wonderful animals.

And no, you're not losing it. You're keeping it. In your heart and in your memory. And that's as it should be.

Peace to you on this anniversary.

Pam

I still miss my "original" guys. It has been many years. I still have their daughter and a grandson. Many times I get the feeling that they are still watching over me. It makes me feel good.

My thoughts are with you today. Nothing wrong with mourning them. But I find it helps me to follow it with the good memories. And it makes me glad that I was blessed to have been given the opportunity to share my life with them.

Archived