BC Boards

Samantha, the Best Good Dog

urge to herd

Samantha Chloe, the beautiful and sweet girl who introduced us to border collies, has died. She was 15 years and 3months old.

Sam came to live with us in March, 1996. We didn’t know how drastically our lives would change. I’d been without a dog for 7 years, and Tillie, my cattle dog that had died in 1990, was pretty old and slow by the time she went. I was used to tossing the Frisbee two or three times, and then she’d trot off to lay down in the shade.

Well. Everyone on this board knows that’s not quite enough for a healthy, two year old border collie. Sam would patiently stare at me until she got some more activity – a long walk, a game of fetch in the back yard, learning a new trick.

Sam had a sweetness that everyone remarked on. Even people who didn’t like dogs liked Sammi. One bc rescue person told me that if she could only have one dog, it would have to be a dog like Sam. We took her to the vet Tuesday, she was feeling poorly. As bad as she felt that day, and as much as she hated going to the vet, she tottered over to a stranger in the waiting room to say hi and offer her silky head for a caress. Every visitor to our home told her what a wonderful dog she was.

She took the addition of Shoshone in fall of 1998 and then Buzz in November of 1999 with mostly good grace. Sammi and Shone were never good friends, but we learned to set some boundaries and they did ok. Buzz was a party animal, and Sammi loved to wrestle and play Extreme Bitey Face with him.

These last few months have been tough. Sam’s evening walks got slower and slower, and a couple health problems plagued her. Thursday evening I fed the dogs and sat down at the computer. I heard a scrabbling sound and turned to see Sam frantically trying to stand up and flailing around on the linoleum in the kitchen. I picked her up and took her to living room, thinking it was just the slipperiness that had gotten the best of her, but she couldn’t stand up there either. We waited for a bit, tried again, no good. Carried her out to the backyard, set her down and put a towel under her hips to see if she could walk that way, but her front legs were as almost as weak as her back.

We said good by to our gorgeous, affectionate and loyal Samantha on July 1. She lives on in our hearts.

My sympathies to you and your family for your loss. It is clear that you have many memories of Samantha that will bring you comfort in the future. I'm sure she has her choice of "best good dog" playmates at the Bridge.

I lost a treasured friend today,

The little dog who used to lay

Her gentle head upon my knee

And share her silent thoughts with me...

She'll come no longer to my call,

Retrieve no more her favorite ball;

A voice far greater than my own

Has called her to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let her spend down here with me

And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join her there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For she will greet me with her bark.

~ Author Unknown

Via con Dios, Samantha. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

I am so sorry to hear that you lost Sammi - she sounded like a very special dog. While some would say 15 years is a long time - it's just not long enough. Run free Sammi, you have a lot of friends at the bridge to play with....

Something's Missing

There's something missing in my home,

I feel it day and night

I know it will take time and strength

before things feel quite right.

But just for now,I need to mourn

My heart- it needs to mend,

Though some say "it's just a pet",

I know I've lost a friend.

You've brought such laughter to my home,

and richness to my days.

A constant friend through joy or loss