BC Boards

Canine Vesticular Syndrome

Tommy Coyote

One of the dogs I take care of just came down with vestibular syndrome.

He is drinking but not eating so far and has meds for nausea. I haven't been over there yet today but the owner says his head isn't tilted but he is having trouble walking. He needs assistance getting around, going down the stairs outside, getting settled up on the couch.

Anybody have any information or ideas that could help dealing with this?

Sorry. I can't correct the title to correct the spelling.

Most of the time vestibular disease is seen in older dogs. It usually comes suddenly and then lasts for a bit. No one I have spoken to can pin point the cause. The eye 'twitching' movement can be different, the more movement the more problem with mobility. Dogs that I have dealt with eat well if you either elevate the bowl for them so they are able to eat while standing or eat while laying. I have hand fed some dogs as well.

I have done blood work on dogs with vestibular and most of the results have come back normal but it is always good to rule out other possible complications so an adequate treatment plan can be formulated.

Good luck. With time and nursing care he should recover and be almost 100%. Most people notice a lingering head tilt or balance being a little off. You might need to hand feed him with something extra tasty. The vet I work for always mentions that it could be a brain tumor and not vestibular but in that case the signs worsen. Odd thing, we've seen three cases of vestibular where I work in the past two weeks.

Shoshone had it a couple times. My vet told me to use Dramamine, can't remember the dosage, but it was related to her weight.

it took less than a week to go away. I did have to help her balance as she went to the yard. She didn't want to eat very much, but as her dizziness subsided, her appetite came back. No ill effects.

Ruth & Gibbs

My 16 year old cat has this. He has had a few episodes but always fully recovers in a week or two. Its been about a year since he has had one. Its rough looking for a few days but he always recovers. Not much the vet said to do other than make a comfy spot for him with food/water near by and let him ride it out. Once recovered no one would have any idea he has it.

I didn't know cats could get this. That is the first time I have heard of that.

Got a text this morning that he is better. Head not so tilted and he kept his food down.

Thank you for the input. I just keep forwarding it on to his owner. He just looked so miserable that any good news helps to hear.