BC Boards

Book & video recommendations

SunDogs

Hi all,

Can anybody give me some I deas for some good training materials. Is there a list somewhere?

Has anyone read Talking Sheepdogs by Derik Scrimgeour? It is a bit spendy so I thought I'd get some real reviews before decide to invest.

Thanks,

BC Lover

Everything I've heard about the book is good, but since I haven't read it yet myself, I don't feel quite comfortable recommending it.

A video might be your best bet to start, because this is all so visual. I think "Starting Your Border Collie on Cattle, Sheep or Ducks" is a good basic video -- Rural Route Videos produced it, and you can find it at http://www.ruralroutevideos.com/ or at some of the other border collie vendors. Of course, Derek Scrimgeour has a video also, and it in combination with his book might be a good choice. Maybe someone who's familiar with them will comment.

Let me just say that I am in love with Derek Scrimgeour. Yes, I am a groupie! Ha!Ha! I have his video and have watched it numerous times. I liked it so much that I got the book when it came out. Then I accidentally left it at a friend's house and had to pry it away from her! So I haven't finished the book, but it does seem to have good, easy-to-understand explanations of what he does in training, complete with diagrams. I have enjoyed reading what I've read so far.

I just happen to like the way he trains. He's quiet and what he does makes sense to me. You could get the video first, and if you like it, then go for the book.

The other usual book recommendations are Bruce Fogt's "Lessons from a Stockdog," and Vergil Holland's "Herding Dogs: Progressive Training." Holland's book is geared toward all herding breeds and Fogt's deals with border collies. If you can borrow them from someone first then you might be better able to decide what's good for you. But then again, the price you'll pay for these books and videos will seem quite small in comparison to what you'll spend once you are truly bitten and then sucked in to the world of sheepdogs and trialling!

Eileen,

This question/answers might be another good one for the FAQ forum.

J.

Course there's always the tried and true set of three videos made by H. Glyn Jones, starting with "Come Bye and Away"...I am a Glyn Jones groupie, BTW!! (g). he also wrote a great book called "A way of Life" which I think he told me is being reprinted with revisions??

I too can recommend Virgil Holland's book...it is GREAT for troubleshooting specific problems.

I think Julie Simpson has a book out this year called something like The Natural Way? I've not read it...has anyone else?

Sue

I *really* like Derek Scrimgeour's book. I think it is packed with useful training and trialing insights, presented in a very easy-to-follow and well-organized progression. Derek shares some of his own training and trialing experiences along the way, and how they've shaped his perspective. He also talks about the various dogs, both past and present, that have been particularly significant, and how the sort of dog he looks for has evolved over the years. It all makes for a very good read, not to mention an excellent resource.

I would highly recommend Derek's book. Besides all the good training diagrams and information, it was also nice, as a novice handler to read Derek's feelings about his dogs, their good and not so good points. Not to mention that the book is beautifully illustrated and would make a great coffee table book, except that it is being used all the time. Would also recommend his video, A Hill Sheperd trains his border collie, because you can see where to position yourself for whatever excerises you are working on and the progressive training. Derek trains without alot of shouting and running at the dogs, which has worked well for me.

I also have liked rural routes video on starting your border collie on ducks sheep and cattle. I also liked Mike Hubbard Stockdog Fundamentals, which discussed among other things, raising your pup till you take it to stock, it also showed very clearly what is meant by square flanking, which was a difficult concept for me to see when I first started training.

I like H Glyn Jones book, which I pick up and read frequently and his 3 tapes.

Nancy O

Thanks everyone!

Looks like its a thumbs up on Scrimgeour.

I already have Virgil Holland's book and wow! Did it help to read about what I was trying to do.

Holland has said some things that were contradictory to what my trainer has said/done so I'd like to read some other opinions.

Where can I get the video (Scrimgeour's)? I didn't see it on the BCIA site...maybe I missed it?

Thanks again!

BC Lover

BCiA does sell it. Go to http://www.bordercollies.com/ , scroll down the bar on the left-hand side to "Videos," and then scroll down to the last item.

This reminds me that there's a list of magazines, books, etc. at http://www.bordercollie.org/biblio.html . It needs updating, but it does tell you how to subscribe to the magazines "American Border Collie" and "The Working Border Collie," both of which have a lot of good info in them -- training articles, trial and clinic schedules, etc. Also, if you scroll down through the list to the bottom, it gives contact information for some of the vendors, like Border Collies in Action and The Dog House.

Guest totallyterry2003

Mark,

Although I am not NEBCA, a lending library is a great idea. Think I will suggest it for the Michigan Border Collie Assoc.

We were fortunate and spend a couple of days at Derek and Helen's home when we were in England which was before foot and mouth. He loves showing his dogs and pups and rightfully so. It is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen.

Been going to order the book and these posts have given me the incentive.

Good luck at Oatlands.