BC Boards

Getting a second dog, what breed?

Hello all! My name is cklug2 and I'm a Border Collie addict... but on a serious note... I'm moving out of my family's house and getting my own house soon. My little guy, Eli, is a very sociable dog and enjoys being around the other dogs at their house and I can tell he'll probably want a new friend so that he doesn't get lonely. He's an INCREDIBLY well behaved dog and never gets destructive when alone. I'll be around most of the day and am read to get a new pup. So my question is regarding a second breed, what would you do? I've had my eye on Brittanies, Huskies, Shetlands and of course Border Collies. I kind of want to get something different, although I still love Border Collies and would get another in heartbeat. What do you guys think? Stick with the breed? Do you have any experiences with the others and your BC? Any and all opinions, input or suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

What makes you hesitant to get another Border Collie?

What are your favorite traits of your Border Collie?

What specifically attracted you to each of the other breeds you listed?

What traits can you not live with in a dog?

Good questions, above, to ask yourself.

Basically, though, I would say stick with the breed. In my experience, border collies, while they can be great friends with any other breed of dog, tend to like their own kind the best. I am sure there are many stories that put the lie to that statement, but that is what I have observed.

And your best bet for getting a dog that will get along well with your dog is to get one from rescue, because that way you can know the new dog's personality before you get him or her, and the two dogs can meet and see if they like each other.

Of course, I hope, as a rescue person myself, that you are going to go to a rescue to get your new dog in any case!

Best of luck, and stick around. You can learn a lot from the knowledgeable folks here.

If you want to mix it up, but still stay within the Border Collie spectrum, you might want to check out some Border Collie mixes in rescue. I have just about always had a mix of Border Collies and Border Collie mixes, and it adds some variety while keeping things rather similar.

To add to the questions Liz asked, what is it that you don't like about your border collie that has you thinking of another breed?

In my experience, border collies can get along with other breeds that they live with better than they do with some other breeds when they're out and about.

One thing you'll want to consider if you really want your dogs to be great friends is that border collies have a different style of playing than many other breeds do, so you'll want them to mesh. Border collies love to run and chase each other. Mine will wrestle in the house, but outside they'll rarely play with other dogs who don't enjoy chase games.

I'm with D'Elle in hoping you'll look into a rescue. Even if you're set on a puppy, keep in mind that rescues do get puppies from time to time, and older puppies and adolescents offer all the fun without all the extreme attention puppies need, especially if the dogs will have to spend a lot of time on their own while you';re at work.

If you really want another breed, keep in mind that a lot of Border Collies don't like the really upright breeds, many Huskies fit in that category, and many don't like the overly friendly breeds, like Labradors and Goldens. My BCs have many dog friends. The ones they get along with the best are other herding breeds and the very best are other BCs.

If your dog is like my Lily he may be a breed snob. I have yet get Lily playing with a non-border collie. Your best best if you want a different breed is to try and setup play dates with the breed you are considering and see how your boy reacts.

What makes you hesitant to get another Border Collie?

What are your favorite traits of your Border Collie?

What specifically attracted you to each of the other breeds you listed?

What traits can you not live with in a dog?

To add to the questions Liz asked, what is it that you don't like about your border collie that has you thinking of another breed?

In my experience, border collies can get along with other breeds that they live with better than they do with some other breeds when they're out and about.

One thing you'll want to consider if you really want your dogs to be great friends is that border collies have a different style of playing than many other breeds do, so you'll want them to mesh. Border collies love to run and chase each other. Mine will wrestle in the house, but outside they'll rarely play with other dogs who don't enjoy chase games.

I'm with D'Elle in hoping you'll look into a rescue. Even if you're set on a puppy, keep in mind that rescues do get puppies from time to time, and older puppies and adolescents offer all the fun without all the extreme attention puppies need, especially if the dogs will have to spend a lot of time on their own while you';re at work.

I love everything about the breed!!! I'd definitely get another one! :) I'm just someone who likes variety: never bought the same car, shoes, guitars, etc. I was just curious if people knew whether there was friction between two Border Collies or between them and other breeds. I'm sure Eli will get along fine with anyone, just looking for opinions. When all is said and done, I'll more than likely get another Border Collie. It's hard to find a dog that's so energetic, work-oriented, loyal, quirky, and affectionate at the same time. I will be getting a rescue, that I can guarantee. Just looking for opinions on whether BC's are better together, or proud to be the only one in the house lol! :)

If I couldn't get another BC I know I'd get another herder.

Partially out of personal preference, but Keeper prefers those types as well.

But man, there's something weird about how they just instantly "get" other BC's. Keeper will see one from a quarter mile away and just light up.

From my experience Border Collies really enjoy each other. My current dog is a singleton now and when we go out he does not play with other dogs, but if their is another border collie who is friendly, the games start. When we have house guests of another breed despite the best efforts of the visitor he will not play, but bring in another playful border collie, guest or foster and he will wrestle and play border collie games.

I have also noticed this at the agility club, the border collies play all sorts of games with each other which the other dogs do not seem to play, with a couple of exception and both those dogs live with border collies.

Welcome! What others have said is good advice, and I'd particularly listen to Gideon's Girl as what she mentions are very common experiences. Many Border Collies do not feel comfortable about very upright, flat-faced, staring dogs - think Boxers, Akitas, Briards, etc. They often don't like overly-friendly, in your space dogs - think Labs and Goldens.

There have been a number of times people have posted on these boards about what "breed snobs" their dogs are. I think a large part of that is that Border Collies tend to "speak their own language". It's a body language but it's *their* language, and they are more at ease around those that *speak* the same way.

That said, there are a number of people here with dogs of other breeds but, in large part, I think sticking with something at least somewhat similar is a best bet. Also, if you get a rescue, you have the opportunity for the two to meet on "neutral ground" and see if they do tend to hit it off (even though there are going to probably be some adjustments to be made in your everyday life with them once the new one is settling into your home).

Best wishes!

But man, there's something weird about how they just instantly "get" other BC's. Keeper will see one from a quarter mile away and just light up.

I've seen this over and over with my dogs over the years! It's pretty cool actually.

I have a friend who has English Shepherds. Bodhi and one of her dogs act the same way with each other when they meet and all of them enjoy each other much more than they do the other dogs in our therapy dog group, who are all friends and get along very well. I think border collies and English Shepherds would be a good fit, though many people wouldn't recognize the difference between the breeds. They are different in behavior (though with some similarities) and their working style.

I think these are all good points about border collies in general, but it really comes down to your individual dog. The best way you're going to know is to take him to meet some dogs and find out what he likes and doesn't like. I know that Aed will play with any dog that will run with him, and he doesn't have a preference between border collie/non border collie as much as he does between energy/less energy. I know a lot of people here don't like them, but if you have any dog parks around where you live, I would suggest taking him there and checking it out. Obviously it's no substitute for actually living in a house with another dog, but it should give you some idea of where to start.

Aed will play with any dog that will run with him, and he doesn't have a preference between border collie/non border collie as much as he does between energy/less energy.

Aed is still a puppy, and puppies are often less discriminating than adult dogs. He may always enjoy playing with any type of dog, but don't be surprised if you find him being more selective and appreciating some dogs' advances less as he gets older.

Molly hates border collies. I suspect if it was one WE owned/lived with that it would be different and she'd enjoy the similar play style but out and about? No. She's reactive in general but she reserves her really insane behavior for other herding breeds and especially other BC.

Why? I suspect it has to do with the direct staring.

That or she wants to play with them a lot and her frustration level with them is higher. I don't know and I"m not going to test it out any time soon.

But yeah, dogs have preferences and can definitely ave really strong ones.

Aed is still a puppy, and puppies are often less discriminating than adult dogs. He may always enjoy playing with any type of dog, but don't be surprised if you find him being more selective and appreciating some dogs' advances less as he gets older.

I won't be surprised, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't change, either. Border collies are individuals. They're pretty hard to generalize in situations like this.

Aed sounds like Keeper, who is also still young. But I suspect Keeper's going to remain very, very social. Obviously his favorites are BC's and other herders, but anything that gives him the silly eye and play bows is fair game to play with. Especially if they'll chase and chase and chase and chase. Or tug. Or wrestle. Or really just interact in any way.

Keeper's favorite thing is to play bitey face with the teeny dogs. He rolls on his back and lets the dogs straddle and chew on him. It looks a little obscene at times.

I have had Border Collies for 25+ years with a variety of other breeds including Siberians, Dalmatians, a Golden, and several Papillons. They all got along generally well.

383676_2892884567629_1710030454_n.jpg?oh

I think its more personality than breed. My current BC boy loves his Papillon brother..seriously, they are besties in a way I have never had 2 dogs be besties before.

10959823_10206108515578322_1937122049352

Like I said, personality more than breed.

Female sibling borderjacks. Only possible choice.*

I have a picture like that, Rushdoggie, of my cat and his labrador.

*I am joking, don't do this. For the love of god, please don't.

Edit: would it help to draw up a list of qualities you like, which would lead you to choose a particular breed? That way if you find a perfect dog that doesn't happen to be of the specific breed, or a dog of the right breed that doesn't have those specific qualities, you have something sitting in front of you you can use to help make the emotional decision.

I have this feeling that Aed and Keeper would get along really well together. They seem very similar.

rushdoggie, how did the dalmatian work out? I always figured if I got something other than a border collie it would be one of those.

I love hearing all of your inputs! I've got a family friend who volunteers at a shelter that may let me bring Eli in to see if he bonds with any of the shelter dogs there. Its never easy going there, I always have the urge to take them all home. I might try to be a pretty macho man most of the time, but every time that one of those ASPCA commercials comes on, I can't help it... darn you Sarah McLachlan... Anyways, I'm thinking he'll do best with another herding dog. He enjoys being super active, herding and goofy. I don't think he'd work well with breed that's known for being more... snooty? I'm not sure if that's the right word. He has a more laid back, care-free attitude, so he'll probably do better with someone like him in that regard.

I have this feeling that Aed and Keeper would get along really well together. They seem very similar.

rushdoggie, how did the dalmatian work out? I always figured if I got something other than a border collie it would be one of those.

I had 2 and they were both great dogs...I was really into agility when I had my 1st one and he was a great athlete. I found him as a stray and he was amazing and such a love.

Unfortunately I lost him to kidney issues, and my second went blind at age 6. I haven't been willing to try again.

Plus now I have a hard time seeing myself with any breeds other than my Papillons and Border Collies.