BC Boards

Hi all
I'm new here, but have been reading through a lot of this forum. I guess, the main thing I need to know is if there are any "quick fixes" for bc's? I mean, any specifics I can do to get good results quickly....

Let me back up and give some background. My bc mix, Brick, was a craigslist puppy. Met him, he played nicely with the kids (9&3) right off the bat and claimed him. (I knew nothing about border collies at the time. Wrong of me, I know. I was "licking a wound" getting a dog and didn't take the time/effort into going about things properly. Lessons learned). The original owner was going to keep him for the six weeks between my finding him and us moving to the family farm from our apartment. A week and a half in I got a call saying that he had been hit by a car and his leg was injured. When I asked when they were taking them to the vet I was told they would not and that I needed to pick him up asap. I picked him up immediately. He was not putting any weight on the leg, even though he was in good spirits. Got him into the vet the next day- two breaks in the leg. Missed the growth plate, barely. The vet made it very clear (ortho surgeon confirmed) that the injury was not due to a car and I could consider him a rescue from an abuser. She also mentioned his anxiety level (and the fact that he had already attached to me) being something that was going to be a challenge.
It has been.

I had to move to the farm ahead of my family, with Brick, due to the apartment landlord not giving any leniency given the circumstances. Being a "family" farm, that meant all the work for getting the place ready to live in, was on me (something i was not expecting. Wouldn't have gotten any dog, at that point, had i known.). Its initial state of being has lead to potty training issues with Brick. The previous tenant had let cats and dogs use the whole house as potty grounds. I had to pull all the carpet out (I sealed the floors for health matters). I do wonder, inspite of sealing, if this play any part in potty-training trouble.

Another factor is that we live with my father-in-law who has some sort of small mix dog that has never been potty trained. He constantly marks corners and anything left on the floor. My fil has made it where if I complain about his dog, ask him to clean up after him, etc., he threatens all animals being gotten rid of... He also has no "animal behavior" sense, so to speak. When his other male dog was still alive, he would freak out on Brick when Brick would sniff/lick at his dog's genitals after urinating, calling him a "sicko" and "perv". I explained to him why dogs do that, but he isn't the kind of person to listen to reason. Also, Brick will be calm as can be, even sleeping on the floor, and the moment my fil comes home, Brick goes crazy. It's like he senses my fil's energy (high and not always positive) and runs with it. I can't change my fil, so trying to train Brick to sit/stay whenever he comes, instead. (Not sure if that's the right thing to do!)

Basically, between my lack of training him with everything else on the plate (that I did not expect to have to take care of when looking at getting a dog) and the issues with other animals and people in the home, i'm in a tight spot. My fil and husband are at their limits with Brick and threaten weekly to make me rehome him.

I can't honestly say he's a bad dog. The separation anxiety (extreme salivating, diarrhea, crying, pupil diallation, metal crate destruction, etc) is a huge challenge. Although, I am a stay at home mom and only gone a few hours one or two nights a week, if I'm not home, he causes trouble. I can be home for several days in a row with no bathroom incidents, leave Brick at the house for an hour with my hubby and kids and he will defecate indoors.

He likes his crate, so long as the door is open and he can see you. He sleeps in it at night and goes in on his own accord or with a "go to bed". I did read the post about Patricia McConnell's book, I'll Be Home Soon!. I've read that and intend to crate train as she directs.

He is a car chaser. I know. Bad. My solution was to not let him outside off lead. My thinking was that we needed to allow enough time to go by, without him having the opportunity to chase, to allow him out of the habit. We live in the country. We get a car ever 2-4 hours, maybe. No consistency. Not sure how to "train" with that being the case. Brick never left our property prior to lead restriction and never "ran off" (other than when after a car). Since restriction, if he "gets out" off lead, he bolts and there's no getting him back. (for some reason I knew this would happen, but just hoped it wouldn't. not sure why I thought that, but here we are).

I think the main challenge I'm running into is Brick's personality. He's smart. Definitely meets the bc standard there, but he's got a lazy streak in him like i've never seen (we think he's mixed with basset hound based on dwarfism in legs, huge paws, floppy ears and temperament). He lays down to eat, refuses to do more than 2 or 3 chases of a ball for fetch, and once his tongue can't reach the contents inside a kong he's done with it. The one time my husband took him on a run he laid down in the middle of the road and wouldn't budge until he was good and ready. (hubby came home saying, "never again".) This makes keeping his attention on anything positive (like described in the book) a challenge. It makes training sessions challenging (trying to end on a good note is baffling!). It makes exercising his energy out of him a challenge. Just need some direction on dealing with this, in general.

I know I need to be more consistent with training. Fixing me and how I'm handling him is the main thing. I get that. I'm willing. I just don't know how, especially with this lazy streak attached. It's not been all for loss. He's great with the sit command. He came with resource aggression and that was the first thing I tackled, involving both my kids. My 3 yr old son can walk up to him and take any toy/treat from Brick without any sign of aggression from him at all. He used to plow the kids over going down the stairs. He now sits at the top and waits for their release once they are at the bottom. He is not allowed in or out of the house/car until we are through and he is called. He is not allowed out of the door on his own without a sit/release (prior to lease restriction and still). He goes to bed when told (usually). He, now, gets off the bed when told. He still jumps up, which I'm not a fan of, but at least he gets down right away now, once told. I used to have to shove him off with the command, in order for him to budge.

My heart was Brick's from day one. With the rough start and challenges ever since, my husband does not care for him one bit. I have never rehomed a pet for any reason other than necessity and have no desire to do so now. Sorry for such long post. Just wanted to "get it all out there."

Any and all advice, positive criticism, etc., very welcome.

Pics from when we first met him (5 months old we think)

post-16767-0-54665900-1427254690_thumb.jpg

post-16767-0-34006100-1427254708_thumb.jpg

My gosh, I'm so sorry that you've come here on such a bad note! He's a beautiful pup.

Is is possible to rehome the FIL? :blink:

I'm afraid I don't have much help here, I only wish to offer my sympathies for your extremely frustrating situation. It sounds horrible for everyone involved.

I would say that I wouldn't let him off leash anymore. I'd always keep him on a long line. It'll make the car chasing and running off much easier to deal with since it won't be able to happen! It's not a fix, but he needs to stop practicing the behavior before it becomes even more ingrained.

Haha! Rehoming the FIL is the long-term plan. A work in progress. That cracked me up!

Thanks for your response, King. Will definitely be keeping him on leash for his safety. Wish i could get him as interested in ANYTHING else as he is in chasing cars :)

Sympathies appreciated. I just have this really high hope, especially after reading about bc's on here, for a happy, stress free future with Brick. I think the potential is there....just gotta get over some of these hurdles.

My gosh, I'm so sorry that you've come here on such a bad note! He's a beautiful pup.

Is is possible to rehome the FIL? :blink:

I'm afraid I don't have much help here, I only wish to offer my sympathies for your extremely frustrating situation. It sounds horrible for everyone involved.

I would say that I wouldn't let him off leash anymore. I'd always keep him on a long line. It'll make the car chasing and running off much easier to deal with since it won't be able to happen! It's not a fix, but he needs to stop practicing the behavior before it becomes even more ingrained.

You mention he doesn't seem to have the issues as much when you are home, so I'm going to ask a difficult question is you husband or fil abusing him when you are not home? I only ask because you mention neither of them like the dog.

Potty training is near impossible with another dog going to the bathroom inside or the messes not getting clean with a cleaner designed to remove the smells. I know you do not want to clean up after the other dog, but you may not have a choice if you want to fix him. If the other dog is always going in the same spot try puppy pads. As for your dog do not let is out of your sight when you are home. Tie him to you if that is necessary. When you are leaving put him in the crate in another room from everyone else, and leave him there no matter how much of a fit he throws ignore it. Eventually he will just fall asleep, so only let him out once he is quiet.

Car chasing is horrible, but there is a book called control unleashed that may help you with that. My trainer uses it as the basis for obedience training.

Good luck!

I just have this really high hope, especially after reading about bc's on here, for a happy, stress free future with Brick. I think the potential is there....just gotta get over some of these hurdles.

Just keep that last in mind. You may, indeed, have a long, lovely future together. Just not in the short term. One day at a time. Meanwhile, just love Brick and be a responsible owner - meaning doing what needs to be done for Brick's health, safety, wellbeing (including discipline and education). The rest will likely come in the fullness of time.

I truly don't believe my fil or hubby could hurt a fly. They are both kind spirits, more passive than anything. I wonder if the passivity of their personalities is part of the issue? It seems Brick needs a strong leader to feel secure. For instance, my husband will call the dog in a harsh tone, say it several times, Brick will shirk away, rather than come and hubby will get annoyed and walk away. Brick knows he doesn't "have" to listen. Not sure that makes sense.
As for the negative behavior, I see it as negative. They don't interact with him in a positive way and talk to him in voices that are "annoyed" and "angry" even when he isn't doing anything wrong.
I think the other thing that plays a part is the male vs. female aspect. I believe it was the male of the couple that had him that was abusive. He was extremely bonded to the female, I think out of security. Seems that has carried over?

Cass C, based on your response then about crating him when I'm away, i guess that means crate training should be my next major focus then. Any ideas on treats/toys that keep attention without being too "challenging" for the lazy pup?
Also, seems like I need to bring the other dog in on the potty training. Do dogs potty train after 6 years of age? Worth a try, either way, I suppose. I will definitely check out the book you mentioned in regards to car chasing. Thanks for that :)

Gah. Your fil. I'm sorry...

I too would wonder about the possibility of abuse or just negative behavior from the men in the house when you're away. Can you crate Brick in a quiet room so he's out of the way, safe and quiet while you're away?

You mention he doesn't seem to have the issues as much when you are home, so I'm going to ask a difficult question is you husband or fil abusing him when you are not home? I only ask because you mention neither of them like the dog.

Potty training is near impossible with another dog going to the bathroom inside or the messes not getting clean with a cleaner designed to remove the smells. I know you do not want to clean up after the other dog, but you may not have a choice if you want to fix him. If the other dog is always going in the same spot try puppy pads. As for your dog do not let is out of your sight when you are home. Tie him to you if that is necessary. When you are leaving put him in the crate in another room from everyone else, and leave him there no matter how much of a fit he throws ignore it. Eventually he will just fall asleep, so only let him out once he is quiet.

Car chasing is horrible, but there is a book called control unleashed that may help you with that. My trainer uses it as the basis for obedience training.

Good luck!

Wow. There are so many issues to deal with, but the fact that he will respond to training (wait at the door, let your son take a toy from his mouth [although I don't think I would keep testing him like that], etc.) indicates that when you put the time into training, he does respond.

I will only respond to a couple of points you raise so as not to overload.

First, I would NOT call him a lazy dog. I think it just sets up expectations in your mind (and also the minds of your FIL and DH) that affect your future interactions with Bandit. Based on your descriptions, I think that he may be insecure, so some of his lack of trying (what you call 'lazy') is him being unsure of what you want. Appropriate positive-reinforcement training techniques can help tremendously in boosting a dog's confidence.

Running with your DH: First, I would never take a dog out for a 'run' until he was at least over a year old. Yeah, if the run was 5 minutes, maybe, but a run of 20 minutes or longer is not good for a dog's joints until the growth plates have closed - 12 or 14 months or longer (different growth plates mature at different times). Also, like a human being, a dog that is not used to running should NOT be expected to 'go for a run' until extra care has been taken to increase their stamina. And secondly, there will be a training period involved. A dog does not automatically know how to run at a steady pace next to a person. I know my dogs don't. The few times I have tried it, they run to the end of the leash and pull forward or sideways or want to stop and sniff. Again, appropriate training. And if you think Bandit is not physically able to go for a run (if he is part basset hound, he may have a hard time with a run), I wouldn't blame him.

Improving in-house relations: Is there any chance that FIL or hubby will throw him treats once in a while to try and change his mind about them? And maybe they will start changing their minds about him when he responds well to them?

Peeing/Pooping in the house? Seriously tackle potty training (crating, tethering, multiple trips outside with reinforcement for eliminating outside) And yes, an older dog can be potty-trained - but don't forget that until ALL of the elimination spots are cleaned with an enzymatic cleaner specific for dog messes, you will be facing a losing battle despite your best training efforts.

But in general, until you can get to training the misbehaviors, I would be managing him to prevent any unwanted behaviors. When you go away, is he OK with being crated? Again, prevent him from eliminating inside by management techniques until training works.

I know that you have other issues, these are what I thought of first. Good Luck.

..I agree with Jovi (Gcv- border)'s comments. Also if he previously had a broken leg, perhaps some of Brick's unwillingness and apparent 'laziness'is due to pain.

As well as askng your OH and FIL to throw treats, perhaps you could also ask them to be less harsh when they call Brick to come to them? IMO there is nothing macho in a guy being unduly tough towards a dog (but then I'm a Brit).

Would you willingly walk towards someone you perceived as a threat? To lower the pressure, perhaps you could also suggest that to call Brick to come, they turn to the side, not give direct eye contact and crouch down slightly while tapping the thigh. As soon as Brick gives any indication he is thinking of coming then throw a treat.

Good luck

Jovi & Maxi

Very much appreciate your comments. They make perfect sense. I have so much to learn. Having a bc is definitely pushing me in the dog knowledge department. I had a pit mix several years ago that I got as a one year old, who is an angel in comparison to this boy. Thought I had a pretty good grip on being a dog owner with her.... Brick is proving there is plenty of room for me to learn and improve.

I will refrain from the "lazy dog" mentality. Honestly, I hope it is a confidence thing that can be improved upon and I will concentrate on being clear and consistent with my communication with him. I think that gives me hope for a brighter future with that.

The running with hubby aspect.... kind of feel like doing a face palm. He is 14 months now. I had been considering doing some bike riding with good weather approaching. I will take all you said about the running into consideration with the biking. Heavens knows I have to start out slow myself. He and I can "get fit" together.

As for the house relations, this is where I feel the most limited. I can't have a conversation about Brick with either men without it being negative/hostile. Even when I try to share progress he is making or point out a good response, etc.
I think though, with Maxi's details on that, I will start doing what he suggested with Brick myself, with them present. Maybe, they'll catch on? Have a bowl of treats on the kitchen counter, available for just that? Here's to hoping. I think the dog is easier to deal with/train than they....
(I did just get brave and share that I was getting helpful advice and would he care to hear suggestions for the men dealing with the dog. He agreed and i copy and pasted) *crosses fingers*

I will "get serious" on the potty training with both dogs. I think this will help with house relations, too. Heck, I know I'm sick of it being an issue.

Brick does NOT do well in a crate with me gone. A friend actually did some welding on the crate I had due to the damage Brick did when he was left in it. I think nailing down this issue would help with many others.

Thank you!

I truly don't believe my fil or hubby could hurt a fly. They are both kind spirits, more passive than anything. I wonder if the passivity of their personalities is part of the issue? It seems Brick needs a strong leader to feel secure. For instance, my husband will call the dog in a harsh tone, say it several times, Brick will shirk away, rather than come and hubby will get annoyed and walk away. Brick knows he doesn't "have" to listen. Not sure that makes sense.

As for the negative behavior, I see it as negative. They don't interact with him in a positive way and talk to him in voices that are "annoyed" and "angry" even when he isn't doing anything wrong.

Border collies can be very sensitive animals, my own dog would not listen to anyone who spoke to him in a harsh voice, he is extremely well behaved and responsive but raise your voice and he turns in to a slinky wreck. This is a dog who has never faced any abuse in his life, occassionaly an exasperated husband who gets cross when he does not respond due to said husbands cross tone. I would not call my self a strong leader, I provide secruity, guidance, protection and loads of love and that is what most dogs are looking for.

I have no idea how to get your husband and FIL onboard, I know I threatened death if my spouse raised his hand to my puppy!

Border collies can be very sensitive animals, my own dog would not listen to anyone who spoke to him in a harsh voice, he is extremely well behaved and responsive but raise your voice and he turns in to a slinky wreck. This is a dog who has never faced any abuse in his life, occassionaly an exasperated husband who gets cross when he does not respond due to said husbands cross tone. I would not call my self a strong leader, I provide secruity, guidance, protection and loads of love and that is what most dogs are looking for.

I have no idea how to get your husband and FIL onboard, I know I threatened death if my spouse raised his hand to my puppy!

This is also my experience. Molly gets a harsh tone and she drops her head, drops her ears, wags her tail and submissive grins. Possibly would also submissive pee. She's been with me since 8 weeks and definitely no abuse. She just really wants to please and is upset if she thinks she's made you angry.

Not a state where she's going to learn or a teachable moment. She's just SAD and trying to appease.

I just want to suggest that the challenges with Brick may not have much to do with him being a BC/BCX. It sounds like he came from some tough, probably abusive circumstances. You've saved his life; but now he needs a period to normalize. Rehab, if you will. So much of how our dogs experience us is through the attitude we don't even know they are sensing. Try to remove any thought that Brick is a problem because he's a BC. For that matter, try to think in terms of challenges or his 'needs', rather than problems. The semantics in you head may make a difference to him, believe it or not. I think that's true for your husband and FIL, as well. They may not change, by the way, until time has passed and Brick has shown real improvement and he's grown on them a bit. I had a dog who was the love of my life for 12 1/2 years. A hard headed, emotionally needy and demanding Aussie/sled dog mix. My wife did not like her at all for about two years. After that, things got a lot more tolerable; but Pazzy was always more obedient and cooperative with me. I'm sure part of that is because she always sensed a bit of anxiety or antagonism in my wife; and never in me. I didn't brook any truly wrong behaviors; but I just never had a negative emotion about her. I was just too crazy about that difficult girl. In the end, my wife cried when we put the old girl down.

Regarding 'sensitivity'. Golan is SUPER sensitive. We call it a 'soft personality'. Never mind reprimands or corrections (which we could do with our old Lab and sled dog); if we just look at Golan cross-eyed he is crushed. But he doesn't disobey. If anything, he overreacts, slinks, and cowers. So we quickly learned not to be harsh with him at all when disciplining him. A rare occurrence, in any case.

I don't know if Brick is 'soft' without meeting him; but it does sound like you should treat him as coming from a difficult, even abusive previous home. That has its own requirements. Although it may mean not being harsh; it may also require a firm-while-gentle approach. Unlike a very soft dog like my Golan, who cooperates most of the time, and isn't in fear of anyone. An abused dog's responses a driven by a different set of considerations based on their previous experience. It is something you may need to learn about; but you will be that much richer for the education.

Medic
I think you're on to something. I've been thinking a lot about how the attitudes of the people, including myself, may be playing a big part in Brick's behavior. I think Brick may pick up on me being defensive towards DH and FIL regarding him. It's hard not to feel defensive! I really like your thought on looking at his "problems" as needs. The problems are just the symptoms of his needs, for sure. I'll do my best to focus on how to "help his needs" rather than "deal with the problems".

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with Pazzy and your wife. That's encouraging :) I'm still really hopeful for a positive future! I think I will focus more on my thoughts and feelings and do my best not to let that be tainted by others'.

I just want to suggest that the challenges with Brick may not have much to do with him being a BC/BCX. It sounds like he came from some tough, probably abusive circumstances. You've saved his life; but now he needs a period to normalize. Rehab, if you will. So much of how our dogs experience us is through the attitude we don't even know they are sensing. Try to remove any thought that Brick is a problem because he's a BC. For that matter, try to think in terms of challenges or his 'needs', rather than problems. The semantics in you head may make a difference to him, believe it or not. I think that's true for your husband and FIL, as well. They may not change, by the way, until time has passed and Brick has shown real improvement and he's grown on them a bit. I had a dog who was the love of my life for 12 1/2 years. A hard headed, emotionally needy and demanding Aussie/sled dog mix. My wife did not like her at all for about two years. After that, things got a lot more tolerable; but Pazzy was always more obedient and cooperative with me. I'm sure part of that is because she always sensed a bit of anxiety or antagonism in my wife; and never in me. I didn't brook any truly wrong behaviors; but I just never had a negative emotion about her. I was just too crazy about that difficult girl. In the end, my wife cried when we put the old girl down.

I think Brick is "soft". He just seems to "shut down" if I raise my voice unintentionally. I've noticed this even when calling for one of my kids from upstairs/downstairs. I think I'll go ahead and dig into learning more about working with an abused animal.

Regarding 'sensitivity'. Golan is SUPER sensitive. We call it a 'soft personality'. Never mind reprimands or corrections (which we could do with our old Lab and sled dog); if we just look at Golan cross-eyed he is crushed. But he doesn't disobey. If anything, he overreacts, slinks, and cowers. So we quickly learned not to be harsh with him at all when disciplining him. A rare occurrence, in any case.

I don't know if Brick is 'soft' without meeting him; but it does sound like you should treat him as coming from a difficult, even abusive previous home. That has its own requirements. Although it may mean not being harsh; it may also require a firm-while-gentle approach. Unlike a very soft dog like my Golan, who cooperates most of the time, and isn't in fear of anyone. An abused dog's responses a driven by a different set of considerations based on their previous experience. It is something you may need to learn about; but you will be that much richer for the education.

Ok. You guys have been giving great feedback. I think, as I'm re-reading ideas and suggestions, I need a game plan.

1. I need to get my thought processes and emotions in check. (ie he's not lazy, but needs confidence built, meeting needs, not dealing with problems, getting tough skin in re to other ppl in the house and not being emotionally defensive towards them and getting educated on dealing with previously abused dogs)

2. Get serious about the potty training (feeling intimidated by this as it seems to be a "marking territory" competition between the two dogs)

3. Begin crate training (feeling unsure about going about this with kong being a bust)

And I think i just figured out where some of Brick's lack of confidence is coming from.....

Would these be the best places to start and do you have any specifics on dealing with these 3 topics if they are?
A game plan will help my confidence and in turn Brick's, I'm guessing.

Thanks all! You've been so helpful. Sorry to ask for more.

I just got McConnell's Way to Go: How to House Train a Dog of Any Age and How to be the Leader of the Pack...And Have Your Dog Love You for It.

Crate training is hard, but you can start with crate games. Make it fun being in the crate. First get him to go into the crate on command and give him a treat. Next start closing the door giving a treat if he is quiet then open the door and let him out. Slowly increase the time in the crate until he will lay quietly in the crate while you sit in the room and read a book/watch tv or something. Then start leaving the room at first for a couple of seconds then return with a yummy treat. Do not return until he is quiet, and if he barks when you return immediately leave without a word.

The big thing is do not reward him if he is whining, throwing a fit, or barking. Only reward a quiet calm dog.

As far as potty training any dog can learn no matter how old they are. The big thing is make sure to get rid of the smell even if that means you need to carpet clean or steam clean the entire house with enzymatic cleaner. It is not a territorial thing it is a 'this place smells like a toilet' thing. If a dog smells another animal's potty it will think going to the bathroom inside is fine. Just make regular outside potty trips and make sure when the dog uses the bathroom outside it is the most exciting thing that ever happened.

Welcome. You've gotten some great advice. I just want to reiterate a couple of the comments that were directed toward laziness. Any animal with dwarfism isn't likely to be a great candidate for running, bike riding, or similar activities. Dwarfism isn't just about having shorter legs--if he's truly got dwarfism, then his limbs are also somewhat (to a greater or lesser degree) malformed. As a result any long distance repetitive motion exercise may just be at best uncomfortable and at worst quite painful for him. I can't see him, so some of this is just speculation, but something to consider.

Regarding not liking loud, menacing, harsh voices, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a dog's previous treatment. My old dog, who was raised by people I know, used to be a real conundrum for me. If I raised my voice just to get enough volume to call the rest of the pack at a distance (for example, when we were walking on the farm), it would frighten her. One time she ran off and it was interesting trying to call for her without using a tone that she would consider frightening. Fortunately she was a working stockdog and so I could at least use a recall whistle. My main work dog doesn't like harsh, loud voices either. I've told this before, but at the Bluegrass one year we were setting sheep for one of the novice classes and a particularly loud/strident handler was running her dog. My dog disliked her yelling so much that he actually, while holding sheep with me, stood up and turned his back to her so that he was facing upfield. He wasn't going to leave his job, but he made it very clear that he was NOT happy.

I don't have a solution for you regarding hubby and FIL and the way they speak to your dog. If it were me, I'd just try to minimize the interactions as much as possible. You're probably not going to change them, so I'd just try to reduce the number of times Brick has to be subjected to them. IME I have never been able to take a dog who doesn't like harsh voices and make them happily respond to them. That's not to say that maybe your husband and FIL will come around in time and maybe lighten up, but I think I'd just operate under the assumption that it's not likely to happen.

J.

Thanks, Cass!

Crate training is hard, but you can start with crate games. Make it fun being in the crate. First get him to go into the crate on command and give him a treat. Next start closing the door giving a treat if he is quiet then open the door and let him out. Slowly increase the time in the crate until he will lay quietly in the crate while you sit in the room and read a book/watch tv or something. Then start leaving the room at first for a couple of seconds then return with a yummy treat. Do not return until he is quiet, and if he barks when you return immediately leave without a word.

The big thing is do not reward him if he is whining, throwing a fit, or barking. Only reward a quiet calm dog.

As far as potty training any dog can learn no matter how old they are. The big thing is make sure to get rid of the smell even if that means you need to carpet clean or steam clean the entire house with enzymatic cleaner. It is not a territorial thing it is a 'this place smells like a toilet' thing. If a dog smells another animal's potty it will think going to the bathroom inside is fine. Just make regular outside potty trips and make sure when the dog uses the bathroom outside it is the most exciting thing that ever happened.

Thanks, Julie

Re: dwarfism. The ortho surgeon we saw over the broken leg said it was a mild case. He has shorter legs, but they are straight..no bowing, etc. Brick loves to run on his own. We have about 5 acres of open field that he has access to. He's fast. Faster than any other dog I've had/known. That being said, is it something I should limit? Or, is free running different enough that that's ok, where on leash may still be an issue? Certainly don't want to cause harm or allow him to harm himself.
I like the idea of limiting interaction with the others. I think it's best, overall, until we've got some of these needs of Brick's met. :)

Welcome. You've gotten some great advice. I just want to reiterate a couple of the comments that were directed toward laziness. Any animal with dwarfism isn't likely to be a great candidate for running, bike riding, or similar activities. Dwarfism isn't just about having shorter legs--if he's truly got dwarfism, then his limbs are also somewhat (to a greater or lesser degree) malformed. As a result any long distance repetitive motion exercise may just be at best uncomfortable and at worst quite painful for him. I can't see him, so some of this is just speculation, but something to consider.

Regarding not liking loud, menacing, harsh voices, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a dog's previous treatment. My old dog, who was raised by people I know, used to be a real conundrum for me. If I raised my voice just to get enough volume to call the rest of the pack at a distance (for example, when we were walking on the farm), it would frighten her. One time she ran off and it was interesting trying to call for her without using a tone that she would consider frightening. Fortunately she was a working stockdog and so I could at least use a recall whistle. My main work dog doesn't like harsh, loud voices either. I've told this before, but at the Bluegrass one year we were setting sheep for one of the novice classes and a particularly loud/strident handler was running her dog. My dog disliked her yelling so much that he actually, while holding sheep with me, stood up and turned his back to her so that he was facing upfield. He wasn't going to leave his job, but he made it very clear that he was NOT happy.

I don't have a solution for you regarding hubby and FIL and the way they speak to your dog. If it were me, I'd just try to minimize the interactions as much as possible. You're probably not going to change them, so I'd just try to reduce the number of times Brick has to be subjected to them. IME I have never been able to take a dog who doesn't like harsh voices and make them happily respond to them. That's not to say that maybe your husband and FIL will come around in time and maybe lighten up, but I think I'd just operate under the assumption that it's not likely to happen.

J.

Aandi, training dogs is a cakewalk compared to training people. Especially when the people are dead certain of their superiority/intelligence/experience.

Here are some suggestions for getting different results from Hubby and FIL.

1) Reframe it for yourself - think of it as 'getting different results' rather than 'getting them to change'. A subtle distinction, but an important one.

2) Exactly as you think of ways to prevent bad behavior and reinforce good behavior on Brick's part, do the same with the humans.

Prevention of bad behavior for the humans is probably a bit dicey. They are adults and might not like being told what to do. But reinforcing good behavior is as easy as saying 'wow, Brick is really calmer around you' or 'Thanks for doing (fill in the blank) with Brick, it's making a difference'.

And keep some of that reinforcement for yourself - you're doing a lot of things right. You're asking for help, you're working hard to make things better for everyone, and you're going about it in a very sane manner.

Way to go!

Ruth and SuperGibbs

Hi Ruth

Thanks for your input. I will work on your suggestions.
And thanks for pointing out the things I'm doing right. I tend to be my own worst critic and lose sight of the good, at times. :)

Aandi, training dogs is a cakewalk compared to training people. Especially when the people are dead certain of their superiority/intelligence/experience.

Here are some suggestions for getting different results from Hubby and FIL.

1) Reframe it for yourself - think of it as 'getting different results' rather than 'getting them to change'. A subtle distinction, but an important one.

2) Exactly as you think of ways to prevent bad behavior and reinforce good behavior on Brick's part, do the same with the humans.

Prevention of bad behavior for the humans is probably a bit dicey. They are adults and might not like being told what to do. But reinforcing good behavior is as easy as saying 'wow, Brick is really calmer around you' or 'Thanks for doing (fill in the blank) with Brick, it's making a difference'.

And keep some of that reinforcement for yourself - you're doing a lot of things right. You're asking for help, you're working hard to make things better for everyone, and you're going about it in a very sane manner.

Way to go!

Ruth and SuperGibbs

Welcome to the forum. You have come to a great place for help, as you have already discovered.

It is so true that it is harder to train people than dogs! I think the suggestion that you positively reinforce any gentle, calm, quiet interactions that your husband and fil have with the dog is a good one. Maybe even point out how different he acts if someone speaks to him in a soft voice asking him to come as opposed to a harsh tone. If they see the results, maybe they will change their ways.....after all, speaking harshly isn't working! Thanks for taking on this dog and I hope that we can be of assistance to you.

Thanks, D'Elle. I like it here. I spent a lot of time reading before i was able to post. Was very much looking forward to meeting you all. It's obvious there are many here who are very knowledgeable. I'm enjoying learning and it's making a difference in my outlook and relationship with Brick, already.

Welcome to the forum. You have come to a great place for help, as you have already discovered.

It is so true that it is harder to train people than dogs! I think the suggestion that you positively reinforce any gentle, calm, quiet interactions that your husband and fil have with the dog is a good one. Maybe even point out how different he acts if someone speaks to him in a soft voice asking him to come as opposed to a harsh tone. If they see the results, maybe they will change their ways.....after all, speaking harshly isn't working! Thanks for taking on this dog and I hope that we can be of assistance to you.