BC Boards

A hopeful Border Collie owner

Hi all!

I am thinking about getting a border collie later this spring, and was wondering if it was a good fit for me. I live in a house with 5 people all over the age of 14 and they will help with the dog. We have no other pets. I would take it for runs with me in the morning when it was at an appropriate age to do so, and would take it out a few other times in the day to play fetch and practice some agility training on weave poles. I would also try to work its mind every day by having training sessions for tricks. One thing I was hoping to find out are some things you all do to stimulate your BC's brain. I also like affectionate, cuddly dogs and have read that cuddling with border collies is a hit or a miss based on the dog. I've been doing lots of research on dog breeds and I think the border collie is just plain awesome! Let me know what else I could do for a BC and if it would be a good fit for me!

EDIT: After seeing replies, affectionate would definitely be a better word than cuddle. I would like the dog to want to be around me but not necessarily be on top of me. And one thing I have liked to do with dogs in the past is have them sleep with me in my bed, in my head that's what I think I meant by cuddling.

With 5 people in the house, you will have to get everyone on the same sheet of music. If you are trying to correct some type of undesired behavior, while someone else in the house encourages it, you will have problems. Consistency in training is a must.

As far as other activities for your BC, depending on temperament, therapy dog work is a possibility, as is search and rescue work. While I thought at the time it was a waste of a good BC, I seen them trained as gun dogs, flushing birds like a pointer and retrieving downed birds like a Lab or Golden. Pretty much with patience and the right temperament, a BC can be trained to do just about any canine job.

I think you can make it work in any situation if you're determined enough, but five people helping with one dog certainly won't be easy, especially if some of them are young as you said. Your age is also a factor to consider. If you're still living at home and can't support the dog financially yourself it can be hard. You may not get to make the choices about food, health, and whatnot, and when you move out it may be hard to find somewhere dog friendly. But you haven't stated your age, so we can talk more about that if it applies.

I'll be honest, I have never met a border collie who was as cuddly as some other breeds I know. I consider my border collie to be quite cuddly, he actively seeks me out to rub his face on mine and curl up in my arms, but if I reciprocate too much he goes away. That's typically what I think of when anyone says cuddly border collie, but maybe I'm wrong.

I find the easiest way to stimulate my dog's mind are trick/obedience training and "adventures", meaning off leash walks or hikes where he can sniff everything and explore everything. He doesn't need a lot, but needs at least something every day, or he starts to get crazy.

Read through old posts on this board. All sorts. After a while you'll start to get an idea of what border collies are like and what kind of maintenance they take. That helped me more than anything when deciding whether it was the right dog for me.

Agreed with chene but also want to address this:

I'll be honest, I have never met a border collie who was as cuddly as some other breeds I know. I consider my border collie to be quite cuddly, he actively seeks me out to rub his face on mine and curl up in my arms, but if I reciprocate too much he goes away. That's typically what I think of when anyone says cuddly border collie, but maybe I'm wrong.

My experience is similar. Molly can be 'cuddly'. She can be cuddly for maybe a whole half an hour out of the day. She likes to press the top of her head between my boobs and get a neck rub and lean against me. That thirty minutes is usually split with doing that 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes before bed.

She doesn't like too much physical affection. As a puppy she wanted even less. She isn't like my other dogs who want pet and scratched and loved on. She doesn't even voluntarily SLEEP with us - she'll spend a few minutes in bed at night, then gets up and sleeps in her crate (her choice). She's just not a touchy dog.

That said, my kids are 14 and 16, the 14 year old is autistic and she's fine with both them, my husband, and me. And please note, fine with means she greets them when they come home and otherwise ignores that they're alive, unless they have food. She's a very one person dog.

I have had Juno now for almost a year and a half and for me it has been a major commitment. I am retired and I have lots of time so the two of us do all kinds of things together. I am generalizing a great deal here, but it seems to me from reading these posts that there are two kinds of border collie owners and as a result there are two kinds of border collies. The first border collie type is a true working dog and I think the work keeps these dogs sane and focused. From what I read these dogs receive a lot of training on the job from experienced trainers and they are very happy. The second type of border collie is the dog that is trained to be a pet, a sporting dog, or some other type of endeavor. Again from my reading these dogs vary tremendously depending on their traits and their owners. I was a very inexperienced owner and as a result I found the training very difficult. All that said I have persevered and I now have a great dog that is truly special. My Juno is a pet and she is a partner. She often jumps on my lap and cuddles and she won't come out of her crate in the morning until I have given her a good cuddle. Many have made this comment on these forums, but a border collie can be a lifestyle change.

Bill

BC cuddliness is definitely not like other dogs. Gideon insists on attention, but it is weird things like scratching his bum while I'm in the bathroom, or he wants my hands on him, but not doing anything, just resting on him. Micah likes to come in after the lights are out at night and lie down on top of me or burrow his face under me, and he is always touching me with his cold wet nose at night, never during the day.

I'm in agreement that border collies aren't 'cuddly' and mine are on the more cuddly side of collie. Lily will cuddle for about 1-2 minutes at a time for about 30 minutes total cuddle time. They sleep next to me but do not want me to pet them, and if I do they usually leave the bed.

Compared to my mom's German Shepherd or my grandma's toy poodles who would be happiest if your life was devoted to doing nothing but cuddling them.

I think everyone has basically hit the main points and I'll just reiterate to add some support. If you want a dog that cuddles, then a BC definitely isn't the right choice. Like you mentioned, you discovered that it is a hit or miss. I'm in the group with everyone else here. My BC likes to cuddle occasionally. He might lay down on the couch with me for about 15min after a long walk/hike, but he usually gets up and goes to his favorite spot on the floor. Sometimes he will leave the room entirely and lay in the kitchen while I watch TV. Other times he will walk over and rest his chin on me, but this isn't so much to cuddle as it is to get my attention. I pet him for about 10 seconds then he backs away and waits for a toy (he is just telling me that he is bored and it is time to do something).

The living with 5 people and the ages over 14 doesn't really offer support for getting a BC. BC's tend to attach strongly to 1 person. Not saying that they won't work with others, but 1 person will generally have the BC's focus more then others. And like others have said, consistency is key with training and having 5 people manage the dog will make that challenging. Your age is also a factor because getting a BC, or any dog for that matter, at a young age can be a significant challenge. The dog may be with you for 12+ years. Do you know where you are going to be living in the next year or two? Will you have a job to support yourself and a BC? Will you be renting a place? Can you afford the likely higher rent due to having a dog? Do you still have any significant travel planned in the future (e.x. is it possible that you will be abroad for 3 months in the future)? Even a flight somewhere for a weekend becomes more of a hassle. Who is watching the dog? A friend? Do you need to board the dog? Can you afford boarding? Not being settled and secure in your future can make owning a dog extremely challenging for you and also difficult on the dog.

I've grown up with probably 10 different breeds of dog and not one of them came close to my BC. I am an active person, but getting a BC was still a significant lifestyle change. Some people think active person=great fit for BC, but this definitely isn't true, it helps, but it is not the key factor. People have asked me about getting a BC and I have never recommended it to anyone. I actually almost universally recommend a Boxer for people who want an affectionate and active dog. I grew up with a few and they are truly amazing dogs for a lot of people. Then of course labs and goldens are kinda the standard affectionate/active dog. Oh, and rescues. Lots of rescue dogs are amazing. But, as others have said on this board in multiple discussions, if you are determined enough then you can make it work with a BC. It is really good that you are doing your research and I would say to read some of the older discussions on this forum. There are lots of people asking about if they are a good fit for a BC and lots of good recommendations.

I had one very cuddly border collie. The rest have been much like others have just described. Oddly enough, my current purebred won't really cuddle with me (unless there's a thunderstorm or fireworks), but he's a therapy dog and will cuddle with just about anyone else. :unsure: I think to a large degree that's a work ethic thing for him. :wub:

That said, if you want a cuddly border collie, you might seriously consider going through a rescue and looking for an adult (even a young adult) whose personality is known. I volunteer with a couple rescues and there are often dogs available who are described as cuddly.

Also, don't confuse cuddly and affectionate. All my border collies have been affectionate (in their own ways, as others have said), even if not cuddly. ;)

I've grown up with probably 10 different breeds of dog and not one of them came close to my BC. I am an active person, but getting a BC was still a significant lifestyle change. Some people think active person=great fit for BC, but this definitely isn't true, it helps, but it is not the key factor

I kind of want to touch on this., because yeah. I think a lot of people think the key to keeping a BC happy is to exercise it forever, and that the biggest hurdles are in their energy level.

IME, not so much.

Yeah, they're active and athletic and need exercise, but my BC doesn't need any more exercise than my GSD mix or, really, even my chi mix. She can go LONGER if asked, but to stay sane and reasonable in the house? Nah. She can go days on end with minimal exercise and not get annoying about it, and most days I'd say she gets about an hour and is okay.

However, she's a weird, quirky, dog and not always easy and has definitely changed my lifestyle - and I came in owning high energy dogs and doing sports and things with them. She really, really requires more than anything a partner. There's no other way to explain that. She NEEDS a working relationship with *a* (yeah, singular) person. That doesn't need to be physical movement, but the dog has her nose in my back pocket and wants to participate in every single solitary thing I do.

And she doesn't really PLAY. I mean, I play. I play ball and frisbee and hiking and agility and tug. The other dogs play! They run and jump and chase. She's not playing when she is doing any of those things. Chasing a ball, catching a ball, catching the disc, chasing another dog, working on agility, working on tricks, tugging, hiking - She's not playing a game, as far as she is concerned. She is dead serious and 300% intense. I don't think I've ever seen her be goofy in her life and that includes as a tiny puppy.

And, um. Yeah. Please be aware that along with that intensity, seriousness, not being cuddly, and bonding strongly to one person, bc play styles often do not mesh with other dogs, what is useful for herding sheep is really just modified preydrive and can result in chasing issues (cars, cats, squirrels, whatever) AND reactivity to things can be a major issue. They can become fearful, neurotic, are often sensitive to motion/sound, 'soft' (sometimes) and obsessive. No, not always, but they're common enough to be worth mentioning.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Molly and I'm pretty sure I'll never own another breed (personally - my husband will) but they are hard (IMO) for reasons unrelated to activity level.

Affectionate but not too cuddly suits me fine. I like independence rather than neediness. A bit of fuss goes a long way and I would describe my two collies as companiable rather than cuddly. They will sleep on my feet or even on my lap but I wouldn't dream of giving them a hug like I would my hound or terrier.

Oh and also re: GSD remark.

Yeah. I couldn't get my GSD mutt (behaviorally he's a gsd, just bigger and more protective, even thanks to the pyr half) off my butt with a 2x4, I don't think. If I'm sitting still he wants to be ON TOP OF ME. Including when I'm peeing and failed to get the door latched. Love the dog, he's awesome, but he drives me slightly batty with the constant touching. And pawing. And nudging. And licking. And-

Yeah.

Personally, I'd look there for an active, affectionate dog. Their puppyhood can be hellish though, with the mouthing, so maybe look 2+ year old.

I'll second the rescue recommendations if you want a curly Border Collie. My female (rescue) is the cuddliest dog ever (I wasn't really looking for that trait as I prefer the standard BC affection level). Going for her therapy dog certification later this year because she like nothing better than getting loved on.

I had one very cuddly border collie. The rest have been much like others have just described. Oddly enough, my current purebred won't really cuddle with me (unless there's a thunderstorm or fireworks), but he's a therapy dog and will cuddle with just about anyone else. :unsure: I think to a large degree that's a work ethic thing for him. :wub:

That said, if you want a cuddly border collie, you might seriously consider going through a rescue and looking for an adult (even a young adult) whose personality is known. I volunteer with a couple rescues and there are often dogs available who are described as cuddly.

Also, don't confuse cuddly and affectionate. All my border collies have been affectionate (in their own ways, as others have said), even if not cuddly. ;)

Do you have any advice on how to train a dog to become a therapy dog? I'm very interested in this idea for my possible BC.

Do you have any advice on how to train a dog to become a therapy dog? I'm very interested in this idea for my possible BC.

Being a therapy dog, in my opinion, is 90% personality and 10% training. You can take a look at this if you want:

http://www.tdi-dog.org/images/TestingBrochure.pdf

It's pretty basic stuff like recall, sit, stay, leave it, in terms of training. What you really need is a dog with an unflappable temperament and a love of people. You would have no idea if you could do therapy dog work if you got a puppy (until it grew up that is), so your best bet would be getting an older dog that you could see had the right personality.

My BC mix is cuddly when she feels like it. Last night, for example, she was enamored with the sheep dog in The Labyrinth and watch the whole movie while tucked between my legs with her chin resting on my knee. She let me pet her the entire time and I rubbed her ears. *Squee* I loved it because it's pretty rare.

Most of the time , she'll come sit on my feet for a minute and snuggle me, but if I reach to pet her, she'll tolerate it for a few minutes and run off to play with her toys. She's a very affectionate dog, but on her terms.

And yes, like the above folks mentioned, BCs tend to be one-human dogs. Our fur-baby has definitely bonded with my husband, although she does let me do certain things that he's not allowed to do (like remove stolen items from her mouth without risk of injury - he gets snarls and teeth, I get puppy dog eyes).

Re: Therapy dogs, what Chene said (although I'd argue that there are easier groups to work with than TDI, which I left in favor of another one).

I adopted a 6 month old pup almost 3 years ago in hope of her becoming a therapy dog. Her personality seemed great; we met at a rescue reunion with lots of people, including kids, and other dogs. She seemed perfect. Then she became dog reactive at close to a year of age and we're still working -- with a long way to go -- to get her to where she might possibly be able to become a therapy dog. Realistically, it may never happen. <sigh>

So, yeah, I'd be looking at a dog at least a year old if you want to do therapy work. My next dog will be at least that old when I adopt her because therapy work is very important to me.

Whoops, good point. I definitely just used affectionate when I meant cuddly. My BC is definitely affectionate, but not very cuddly. The boxers I grew up with were definitely cuddly, they always had to be touching someone if they were laying around inside.

My BC is extremely cuddly. He's curled up asleep next to me (he has to be touching me while he sleeps) right now. And we woke up spooning this morning. Which happens very regularly....

My mom's isn't cuddly. He adores people and actively seeks out attention, but he wants his space. I think that's much more typical of most BC's.

It sounds like you might be better off with a more people oriented breed. BC's tend to be one person dogs, 5 people would be more of a hinderance than help IMO. I think you could probably make things work with a BC, but there are plenty of other breeds that can fulfill your needs. BC's are....weird. They have the potential to become very difficult, either due to lack of training or temperament tendencies. Lots of people here did things exactly "right" and still have dogs that are reactive, nervous, sound sensitive, etc. If the potential cons don't scare you off, then it's a wonderful breed. But a BC is a lifestyle, not just a dog. It sounds like you have a good grasp on the concept that it's the mental exercise that counts, not the physical. But I'll just reiterate it just in case. They can and will run ALL day and not be tired.

I don't know much about therapy dog work, but I would caution you against thinking "I'm going to get a BC and (s)he is going to be a therapy dog". It's not that easy for any dog, but especially a BC. The temperament can vary so wildly that I would say it's somewhat of a crap shoot as to whether or not they'll make a good therapy dog.

My best advice would be to go meet as many BC's as you can before you decide that you want one. A dog can seem perfect on the internet, and then be very much not up your alley in person. I always think I love heelers based on what the internet says and youtube videos, and then I meet one and remember that they're not my kind of dog. Border collies are awesome, you have that right. But that doesn't mean that they're going to be your cup of tea.

Also, I can't tell how old you are or what your situation is. Parent? Child? I'm not sure. But if you're young and living in your parents house, be sure that everyone is on board for getting any type of dog, but especially one as quirky as a BC. They aren't Golden Retrievers. Everyone has to be on board or you might find that your dog is chasing shadows only to find that one person thought it was fun to play with laser pointers. This might be "your" dog, but everyone else has to live with him/her too.

I think cuddly is a hit or miss. I have 3 right now. 1 I have to seek out to pet. On occasion he seeks us out but usually not. The other 2 are very good cuddliers. Dew won't sleep with me but she cuddles before slew sleep and wakes me every morning with lovies.

Faye is my cuddle bug. Can't get to close. Sleeps with me and seeks me out all the time.

I have had lots of working bcs. No akc or sport bred. They all have great relax buttons and I think I have encouraged the lovie ones to be that way.

I like to cuddle. But I also like my down time without hurting anyone's feelings.

Works for us.

good luck on your border collie quest!

Hmm, from experience I can say it's pretty difficult training a dog with five members of the family. Kieran started out just mine, but I had to move back to my parents' house unexpectedly, and I think it made training a tad more difficult because he's become the family dog. Don't get me wrong, he still learns quickly and he's my dog, I just find that I'm at odds with everyone sometimes.

I love his work ethic, though. When we're training, he's very focused and he can go all day if I wanted him to. However, he'll lie around like a couch potato if there's nothing to do without going nuts. I think he loves the partnership and tackling new challenges together. He wants to be involved in everything. He's very much afraid of disappointing me. It's made it a lot of fun as far as trick and agility training. We always impress my friends (dog and non-dog people) with all the things he can do :D. Although I don't know his background, I'm pretty certain he has border collie in him because of all the behaviors he shows. I had wanted a small dog, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes, it's hard to believe he's a dog because he's so much smarter than the type of dog I expected to get.

He isn't cuddly, but is very affectionate. He'll lie against me, but the moment I start trying to hug him closer, he's like, "I'm outta here, buddy!" More often than not, he prefers to sleep in his tent rather than on the bed with me.

Hi all!

I am thinking about getting a border collie later this spring, and was wondering if it was a good fit for me. I live in a house with 5 people all over the age of 14 and they will help with the dog. We have no other pets. I would take it for runs with me in the morning when it was at an appropriate age to do so, and would take it out a few other times in the day to play fetch and practice some agility training on weave poles. I would also try to work its mind every day by having training sessions for tricks. One thing I was hoping to find out are some things you all do to stimulate your BC's brain. I also like affectionate, cuddly dogs and have read that cuddling with border collies is a hit or a miss based on the dog. I've been doing lots of research on dog breeds and I think the border collie is just plain awesome! Let me know what else I could do for a BC and if it would be a good fit for me!

EDIT: After seeing replies, affectionate would definitely be a better word than cuddle. I would like the dog to want to be around me but not necessarily be on top of me. And one thing I have liked to do with dogs in the past is have them sleep with me in my bed, in my head that's what I think I meant by cuddling.

Boy, I'm not sure. That many people in a household with a pet border collie could be tricky. I've yet to see a big, busy household where EVERYone is on the same page about everything that their dog does, eats or is allowed. Border collies are super quick to pick up on who is the softer, more permissible person, or who might not be as on the ball about paying attention - or who is louder or a bit more scary.

What you may find out is that the dog will bond to one or two people, but the others are just kind of "there." My dogs are bonded to me and while they love my husband, they are definitely my dogs. Sometimes he has trouble getting their attention when he wants it, or they don't respond as quickly when he needs them to, or whatever. It's not that they're ignoring or disregarding him, it's more like he's the fun roommate that they don't have to take seriously. ;)

Also, border collies are often fun, happy dogs, but they don't always give their affections equally. As I said, they may bond to one or two people, but they're not like lab or a golden, who adore their entire families and lavish the same affection on everyone. BCs can be a little fickle: if they decide one of the teenagers is a little too loud or fast-moving or whatever, they may shy away from or avoid that person.

And if the dog is not equally attached to everyone and does not respond equally to everyone in the family, that can lead to someone deciding the dog "doesn't like me" and then they aren't as willing or happy to do things with or for the dog. That can lead to inconsistencies in how the dog is handled or what he's allowed to do around the house.

Border collies are great dogs, but they're not really known to be awesome all around family dogs. They can be quirky and different and a little eccentric. If your house is a loud or boisterous one with people (especially teenagers) coming and going, and stuff going on, or people visiting, a BC may find that disconcerting. They're not like most pet dogs. They form opinions and can develop eccentric little behaviors or phobias.

As for the cuddly, lovable stuff, you're right, that can be extremely variable. Of my three, the 6 month old is very loving and licky and cute - but only for a few seconds, then she's gotta go. The 5 year old girl is sweet and will sometimes come plunk her head on my lap, or sit and lean against my leg while I pet her up, but mainly she's a bony, gangly bundle of energy who can't be bothered for a lot of affection. ;) My 6 year old male's idea of affection is just to lay down by my feet. Sometimes he'll put his head on my lap and get pets, but hugging freaks him right out.

Work and play are usually their best modes of interaction, along with hikes and such. Physical affection just isn't always a strong point with these guys. Some are total cuddle bugs! I've a friend with a very needy male who would like to apply himself to you for hours and I know a young female who just turns to a boneless heap of love in your arms. But others ... not so much. And that goes for sleeping on your bed. Mine hop up in the morning for a quick snuggle, but they much prefer their own beds or the floor.

Anyhow, not to discourage you, but I just want you to really think and be sure. These are highly intelligent dogs and a household of 5 people, including teenagers, would really have to agree to maintain the same rules, behaviors and handling at all times, and adhere to them, because BCs will pick up on undesirable behaviors as quickly as the good, and I don't know how easy that would be in a household of your size. Best of luck, whatever you decide! :)

~ Gloria

I don't know much about therapy dog work, but I would caution you against thinking "I'm going to get a BC and (s)he is going to be a therapy dog". It's not that easy for any dog, but especially a BC. The temperament can vary so wildly that I would say it's somewhat of a crap shoot as to whether or not they'll make a good therapy dog.

To repeat, if you get an older rescue with a known, stable temperament and plenty of friendliness, I don't think it would be a crap shoot at all.

I adopted Bodhi when he was a year and a half to 2 years old. He's been everything I'd hoped for and more as a therapy dog.

And I'm aware of a number of border collies working as therapy dogs.

ETA: The young one I have who's not working out as I'd hoped is a lurcher, and not a PB border collie.

Boy, I'm not sure. That many people in a household with a pet border collie could be tricky. I've yet to see a big, busy household where EVERYone is on the same page about everything that their dog does, eats or is allowed. Border collies are super quick to pick up on who is the softer, more permissible person, or who might not be as on the ball about paying attention - or who is louder or a bit more scary.

That's exactly it! Thank you for putting in words what I was trying to get at regarding so many people in a household. My family constantly wants to feed him, even though I tell them that it'll make him overweight. Kieran knows my dad is lax on the "rules," so if my dad is cooking, he's all up in the kitchen with him. If it's me or my mom, then he waits at the border between the kitchen and dining area. He'll play rough with my dad, but he'll sit quietly by my mom. He'll step on my sister's homework or flat out lie on it (because she's much less confrontational), but he'll carefully walk around my laundry piles, etc.

To repeat, if you get an older rescue with a known, stable temperament and plenty of friendliness, I don't think it would be a crap shoot at all.

I adopted Bodhi when he was a year and a half to 2 years old. He's been everything I'd hoped for and more as a therapy dog.

And I'm aware of a number of border collies working as therapy dogs.

ETA: The young one I have who's not working out as I'd hoped is a lurcher, and not a PB border collie.

Older dogs of any sort are less of a crap shoot. You can STILL get dogs changing/developing issues that are unknown in a shelter or foster home based on things like stress from the shelter, a foster home that has lots of dogs so behavior is changed, not being IN a foster home long enough for stress to work out and dog to show all it's personality, an absence of, I don't know cats or big dogs or male dogs or men who wear hats or nearby bike paths - but it's pretty danged reliable.

Puppies though? Pft. You can get a rock solid loving one or one who's a spook machine. All raising does is let you move around the restrictions laid down by genetics and genetics aren't always as well known as you might thing, even in reputably bred people who track that stuff. Sometimes, all it takes is exactly the wrong (or right) combination.

Basically, I think everyone should always be prepared for dogs to turn up with issues about 3-6 months after adoption regardless of age and if that's settling out of the honey moon period or puberty.