BC Boards

When is your dog's bedtime and get up time ?

Just wondering how it varies from household to household.

Xena has acclimated to our schedule, since I work part time second shift a couple days a week I am used to getting up around 9 - 10 AM even on my off days.

Xena usually wants to go in her crate to take an evening nap around 6:30 - 7:00 PM but looks forward to coming out again about 10:30 - 11:00 PM for about 30 minutes to an hour to go potty first and then spend some time with us on the bed after which she goes back in her crate on her own and is content to sleep till about 10:00 in the morning.

Xena is only about 1 1/2 years old so maybe as she gets a little older she might want to stay up later and not need an evening nap or is that usual for most dogs to sleep that much reguardless of age ?

(some evenings she is a little reluctant to go in her crate for an evening nap even though she seems tired enough for one after an active day :)

Oh, gosh, once the sun goes down, pretty much all my dogs do is sleep! :) They are ages 4, 5 and almost-6. They nap before supper, potty after supper, (@ 7pm) then have another nap until about the time we go to bed, (@10 or 11 pm) upon which they want to potty again, and then they go back to bed and stay there until about half an hour past sunup. Unless of course someone has to do an early AM potty.

I think most well-adjusted grownup dogs tend to nap a lot when there's nothing else to do. :)

~ Gloria

Mine is 2 and she goes to bed when I do, so anywhere from 9 pm-2am. She lays in front of the couch and sleeps off an on all evening unless I go into another room then she follows. Some times she will come over and tell me it's time for bed about 10 pm.

She has her choice of sleeping on my bed or on her bed but I don't crate her. She will sit by the bed and wait for me to tell her it's ok, then up on the bed she comes. If she gets hot she will get down and go to her bed.

My alarm goes off at 7:30 and she is always back on the bed before I wake up. On weekends she is content to stay on the bed with me until I get up, anywhere from 8-9:30 am.

NO matter what time I go to be, I always let her out to potty before we hit the hay.

My GSD is the same way, but he doesn't sleep on the my bed. He is 6 and about 95 lb.

Ziggy (11 months) goes to bed at 10 every night and we go on his first walk at 8 in the morning on most days, although the morning schedule will vary depending on my class schedule and whether or not I have an exam that morning. This is going to change drastically over the summer however when I have 8 weeks of rotations, so it will be similar to having a job. I guess we'll cross that road when we get to it though :)

We get up at 4:30 or 6:30am depending on which job I work that day. On 4:30am days, they go out to potty then go back to sleep until Dad gets up around 8am. On 6:30am days, they potty while I get ready then we go for a walk before I leave for work.

Bedtime is usually around 8pm.

Bear sleeps most of the day; he's old. Meg naps here and there, in between walks, play (with people or by herself), car rides, staring at passersby, playing through the fence with the neighbors dog, chasing birds, etc.

Our nighttime schedule varies depending on what I'm doing. And no matter what the time, there's always a last potty break before bed. Mornings are more routine, and I get up between 5:30 and 6 on weekday mornings. Since that's the schedule, if I move around in bed anywhere near that time *any* morning, they all get up thinking it's time to, well, get up. If I'm desperate for me sleep, I will let everyone out briefly and then we all go back to bed for a little while.

J.

My dogs get up when I do, be that 5am or 10am. They're usually snoozing by 9pm and will either lay where they are until I go to bed or go in on their own. Last potty is usually 9:30-10:00pm unless I'm up especially late. Even then the only one who wants out is Faith, my youngest.

Mya has an evening walk and play and then usually crashes at least around 7:30 to 8:00. She naps until we get ready for bed. Whichever one goes to bed first which is usually my husband she goes off with them and is let out for her potty break before bed. Then she usually is good at sleeping until one of us gets up, again whichever is first. If my husband has an early morning, she goes out to potty and once he leaves she comes back to bed with me until I get up.

Mine sleep when we aren't doing anything. I feed right before bed at around 10pm then let them out one more time. When they come in they all head for where they sleep, the kid's room or mine, depending on the dog. The BCs go out in the morning when my husband gets up at about 5am. The JRT goes out whenever I manage to shake my teenage daughter out of bed, might be 7am, might be 2pm, depending on the day.

Thanks for all the very interesting replies thus far, it does indeed seem that overall most dogs will usually easily adapt to the bedtimes and get-up times of their respective households. (or simply decide to go to bed when they are ready :)

(probably the usual exception is when the dog is a very young pup, I remember when Xena was very very young she would need to wake me up for an early morning potty time before my normal get-up time, but now she is ok till my normal get-up time :)

The first night we brought Shep home and crated him at bed time; he started crying. He is a year and they claimed he was potty trained so we said what the heck and risked letting him out that night. He slept the entire night. We got him a bed the next day and he's slept next to our bed ever since: 12a-7:00a during the week and till about 9a on weekends. We always make sure to potty just before bed and he wakes us up if he needs to go out earlier, but it's pretty rare.

• 4 weeks later...

Nelson gets his last walk anywhere from 9-11PM, depending what time I go to bed... I think he really has the biggest bladder ever, because if it is raining he won't go outside. He will go outside, look up in the sky and walk right back into the house. The only time in 2,5 yrs he has ever whined to go outside was when he had diarrea.

He is definitely not a morning dog. If I wake up at 9:30am, I walk into the living room and he will gladly stretch out and close his eyes again. He has stayed in his bed until 11:30ish before. He has done this every since he is a puppy. He loves his bed more then I love mine (I am a morning person).

Lazy beast!

I have to ask do your dogs sleep in a crate? My puppy is 5 months old and he is very quiet in his crate and will get up to go out to potty at 6 am 7days a week. His crate is always dry but for the life of me I can't get him potty trained yet. It's very grewling to take him out so often. From 9 weeks of age get goes out about every hour. I give him playtime after he goes potty in the house and sometimes outdoors. Unfortunately he only gets 15-30 minutes before I need him to put him in his x-pen. I know this is more of a house training question but I would love to have more indoor time with him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

We're up for the day by 5:00 am on weekdays, 7:00 am on weekends. The dogs, naturally, get up when we do. And most nights we're in bed between 10:00 pm and 12:00 am at night. We always do morning chores shortly after getting up. Evening chores are always shortly before dinner, but depending on the day and what else we have going on that can be anywhere from 4:00-8:00 pm. Other than that they don't have much of a schedule; they're expected to relax and/or entertain themselves without being destructive when they're not otherwise working. Mostly they nap, sniff around the yard, nap, chew on a bone, nap, get a drink and have a pee, nap... it's a rough life.

I have to ask do your dogs sleep in a crate? My puppy is 5 months old and he is very quiet in his crate and will get up to go out to potty at 6 am 7days a week. His crate is always dry but for the life of me I can't get him potty trained yet. It's very grewling to take him out so often. From 9 weeks of age get goes out about every hour. I give him playtime after he goes potty in the house and sometimes outdoors. Unfortunately he only gets 15-30 minutes before I need him to put him in his x-pen. I know this is more of a house training question but I would love to have more indoor time with him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

IIRC, my boy (and all of the other dogs, as well) were still peeing quite frequently at that age. Seems when they're up moving around it gets things moving internally as well. Which is why they can go for several hours at night when they're laying around, but then pee every hour when it's playtime.

Thanks for the reply. Atleast I know its not just my pup who does this. Like this morning I took him out potty and he peed and pooped. It was raining so we didn't go for our normal morning run/walk. I allowed him to play around with my other dog for about 20 minutes and then he ran down the hall and pooped :wacko: . I'll keep trying.