BC Boards

Samantha drinks too much water

Well, Sami has long been prone to drinking a lot of water and then bringing it all back up very shortly. I don't want to restrict her overall intake, as she is prone to bladder infections, (got one right now, as a matter of fact) and crystals in her urine.

Does anyone know of or use something that would slow down her intake? A bubbly thing or some kind of lick thing? I need to be able to have it in our kitchen. One of those dispensers with the upended water container wouldn't work, I don't think. At almost 14, she's a bit slow in her thinking, and I'm afraid she'd drink the whole thing dry in one go.

Ahh, old dogs, you gotta love em.

Ruth

Given her age and the fact that she has been to the vet, I will guess that she has been checked for diabetes. Perhaps you could put about a cup of water in her bowl and then maybe a handful of ice cubes. That way she would be restricted on how much she drank but as the ice cubes melted she would have water. But, if she likes ice cubes, maybe just put those in! :rolleyes:

Yep, just had a urinalysis Monday - no crystals this time, thank goodness, but a lot of white cells, some red cells as well. Good specific gravity, good concentration, etc.

She won't touch an ice cube for nothing. If I put one into her water dish, she totally refuses the water.

I interrupted her about 4 times this morning, only letting her get about half a dozen slurps of water each time. Poor thing, she just gives me these sorrowful looks.

I think it's more that she drinks a bunch all at once. When she drinks frequently, but smaller amounts, it's not a problem. Tiny sigh.

Ruth

I've been sitting here trying to figure out what I might do in your situation. Could you get a bunch of different small bowls and place them throughout the house. Each could have no more than one cup or so of water, so she wouldn't be able to drink more than that at one go. Take her around and show her where they are so she will always know there's more somewhere else. Do you see this working for Sam?

Ailsa

Sorry to hear of your problem. My pup had the same problem when we were on the road for a few hours, as we would stop and give him water he would gulp it up and toss it up if ya know what i mean. i ended up buying one of those lixit bottles from petsmart, which i also use in his crate now, keeps it clean and also he doesnt gulp it down as before. dont know if this helps, probably not, but it works for us. hope you find a solution soon.

Ailsa, I think I'm going to try just putting less water in the water bowl! (hits forehead with hand). Sheesh, sometimes the simple answers just don't appear at all till I ask for help!

The multiple bowls around the house would just be more c**p for me and DH to stumble and swear over. Don't need that so much. But a little water instead of a quart? You're a genius, girl!

Kibbles, if the smaller amount of water doesn't work, I'll get one of those lixit bottles and hang it on a cabinet door, I guess.

Thanks,

Ruth

Well, Sami has long been prone to drinking a lot of water and then bringing it all back up very shortly. I don't want to restrict her overall intake, as she is prone to bladder infections, (got one right now, as a matter of fact) and crystals in her urine.

Does anyone know of or use something that would slow down her intake? A bubbly thing or some kind of lick thing? I need to be able to have it in our kitchen. One of those dispensers with the upended water container wouldn't work, I don't think. At almost 14, she's a bit slow in her thinking, and I'm afraid she'd drink the whole thing dry in one go.

Ahh, old dogs, you gotta love em.

Ruth

I don't know if this will help but I'll offer the thought anyway.

We had a horse that would bolt his feed and we were always worried about choke. To slow him down we put some big rocks in his bowl that he had to move around to eat. Worked really well.

Could you try getting some tennis ball sized river rock (cleaned of course) and put them in her drinking bowl so she can't get her face down in there to gulp? If she typically drinks from creeks, puddles, etc. she shouldn't turn her nose up at it.

My sister and brother BOTH have dogs who do this. I only know because my mother watches them, and gets frustrated when they vomit up the water on her carpet.

Simple solutions are best! Both families just limit the amount of water they put in the bowl at one time. Maybe 6 ounces at a time? Whatever seems to be the lower limit that doesn't produce the vomiting. They're always a little surprised when I fill the water dish all the way, and Buddy only drinks what he needs. (I've got a camel for a dog.)

Mary

Ailsa, I think I'm going to try just putting less water in the water bowl! (hits forehead with hand). Sheesh, sometimes the simple answers just don't appear at all till I ask for help!

The multiple bowls around the house would just be more c**p for me and DH to stumble and swear over. Don't need that so much. But a little water instead of a quart? You're a genius, girl!

Kibbles, if the smaller amount of water doesn't work, I'll get one of those lixit bottles and hang it on a cabinet door, I guess.

Thanks,

Ruth

Ruth - :rolleyes:

My practical mind is getting a workout right now, what with trying to figure out how to get my old undershirt onto a very squirmy dog -- head first? feet first? two or one sleeve? safety pins, tying knots or tape? Argh.....

I hope Sam (and you guys) are doing ok; its tough dealing with older dogs, esp with your recent loss -- I remember it well, even though it was over 6 years ago.

best,

Ailsa