BC Boards

OT: Tunneling Spiders?

I've been noticing these holes outside my bf's apt in the outskirts of the yard areas and such...well, this morning as I was walking Rune I was curious so I leaned over to peer down one. I saw something with many legs scoot down and out of view. I believe it was a spider.

What concerns me is that the hole was big enough for me to easily put my fist and arm down, and the spider big enough to fill up the hole with it's *cramped* body and legs. Thoroughly freaked, I backed off....but what the hell was it??? Are there REALLY tunneling spiders that HUGE here in the suburbs of KY??? Anyone heard of this?

Donna! I second that....PLEASE, PLEASE warn that a spider picture is being posted...Give me a snake anyday!!! :rolleyes: Oh, BTW, just so you guys don't call me silly...my brothers...ALL 4 of them...are worse than me :D

Kris Bugs don't bother me but hey I still let hubby get them. :rolleyes: Hubby has his own special style for killing bugs ( flies, wasp,spiders whatever). He catches it usually in toilet paper then drops it into toilet. Then he pees on it and last but not least flushes it. LOL The boys have taken to doing the same when they get a bug. Me I just squash the buggers. But hubby fusses about me doing that. Apparently squashing a bug is gross. :eek:

What? Karrie, you mean to say that YOU don't pee on them first? What is wrong with you? Why, anyone might think you had two X chromosomes or something! :rolleyes::D (Actually, I completely love the description of your DH's technique involving peeing on the bug before flushing it - seems like such a totally guy thing to do.)

Do they have Cane Spiders out there SA? Nope...I just googled it. Looks like we only have them in Hawaii. Luck you!

Those buggers are BIG. The big abdomen is bigger than my fist on the full grown ones. When we lived in Japan they were everywhere! You could hear them running around! You could hear each "foot" as it walked accross the floor.

SHIVER

I don't like Cane spiders, but they do eat the bugs - roaches, etc.

Swifter came in handy when killing Cane spiders, but I won't tell you about the "popping" sound. !!!!!

Denise

It could be a tarantula. There are many species found throughout the U.S. and most of them dig tunnels. This is what my dad (retired wildlife biologist) told me when my sons insisted that they caught a tarantula at my folks place in the foothills of No.Calif. I didn't think we had tarantulas in this area, but apparently we do (I really could have done without knowing that :rolleyes: )

Personally, I'd prefer snakes or crawfish myself. Spiders and ants in particular gross me out. Spiders because of the way their legs move and ants because of the way they swarm. Yuck!

My guess would be a wolf spider, or a fishing spider, which are pretty similar and get as big as your fist. Wolf spiders are actually a close relative of the turantula. I dont know if they burrow tunnels, but they do hunt their prey (ie. they dont build webs).

You know what? I might need to rethink this whole NC get-together thing. I had come to terms with the whole tick thing, but you all have some really freaky spiders down there!!! *shudder* I really can't stand the little buggers...

BigD - I am *really* happy I didn't know about the cane spiders when I was in Hawaii - I had a hard enough time dealing with the little "happy face" spiders...

I am so pleased I live in England !! i would totally freak!

I freaked when we went to America on holiday and were sitting in a disney park and all these little lizard things were running about near the rocky area !!

The to top it off when I went to Blizard Beach water park I was chilling on a sun lounger and this huge dinosaur came walking accross the path!! Apparently it was an iguana but Im positive it was a dinosaur !!

Hey guys, no need to freak. :rolleyes: Wolf spiders, though they are big and scary looking, and guaranteed to make you shreak when you come across one in the kitchen, they are completely harmless. Well, maybe not completely, but they arent poisonous.

ACK, ACK, ACK.....I hate spiders...I don't care if they are the most useful of all bugs! BTW, even if the spider isn't poisonous, you can get a nasty reaction. We don't have poisonous spiders here, but any time my dad was bitten (usually while logging) his arm would swell up!

Kitch....no big giant spiders up North....so travel North...not south although, the dam* blackflies are out now :rolleyes: swarming, biting little buggers! but they only last for a few weeks. Oh...and we don't have many ticks in this area either

And, we have great camping, and beautiful lakes and you could met up with Jo and Tex too Am I tempting you (anyone) yet??

My guess would be a wolf spider...[they]get as big as your fist.
You see, we have wolf spiders up here, too. And they look like mean and nasty dudes...if you go to kill one and you miss, watch out. Most self-respecting spiders would run for their lives at this point, but not wolf spiders, no. They come right back at ya! And the biggest one I have ever seen was about the size of a quarter. I am still trying to wrap my mind around one that is as big as my fist! :eek: :eek: *shudder*

This fear of spiders is really bizarre considering my job. When I was in consulting, I was the only female scientist in the company. The owner of the company (and my boss) was never quite sure how to treat me - he looked on me like a daughter and sometimes had trouble adjusting to me doing field work and getting all dirty. After a year or so of seeing me do field work and not even batting an eyelash when the vibration of the drill rigs would send mice and snakes scurrying up out of their hiding places and running in a blind panic - often into my feet and legs when I was kneeling on the ground - he decided that I no longer needed protecting. Then he happened to be in the equipment garage with me when I was decontaminating some sampling equipment. I was just about to dump the equipment into the wash sink when I saw the previously mentioned largest wolf spider EVER hanging out in the bottom of the sink. :eek: I am embarassed to say I screamed like a little girl. My boss got a good laugh out of it. He kept saying, "Just last week you had a rat run across your sampling cores and it didn't bother you! And your upset over this tiny little spider?" To which I reponded, "Of course the rat bothered me but I didn't see the need to freak out over it when the drillers were already panicking - but did you see the size of that freaking spider?!? It is as big as the State of Rhode Island! Now stop laughing and kill the damn thing!!!" He never did let me live that down.... :rolleyes:

Kris - Big fan of northern camping. I go to the Adirondacks every year. We have about 2 months of black flies here - May and June and we also have mosquitoes that can carry off a mid-sized dog so I tend to go camping in the fall, after the first frost when all those little stinkers are dead. Hopefully Kingston in August won't be too buggy!

Well, fist wasnt really the right word. How about 'big as your palm in circumfrence'. I had some pictures of a really big fishing spider I found in the wood pile last year. But Im sad to say that I lost the file. . .bet you guys are soooo disapointed. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by prosperia:

Well, fist wasnt really the right word. How about 'big as your palm in circumfrence'.

Yeah, see, that visual isn't really helping...

:rolleyes:

If I do go to this get-together, I'll be sleeping in my tent - so if anyone hears some panicked screams during the night, that'll be me... :D