BC Boards

I think Riven has some Brittany in her .. or some kind of dog like that. She points at stuff outside. Tail straight out, nose out, paw up. Although, I think she's thoroughly confused.

She saw a cat yesterday. She pointed at it with her front left paw, then her front right paw. Took a few steps and pointed with her back right paw! LOL it was hilarious! I'll try to get a picture.

Think she could be?

IM000676a.jpg

well.....like border collies herd, pointing dogs point. Instinct more then anything. She could just be doing it because she can! Or perhaps she does have some kind of hound/pointer in her - but I don't see it. All I see is a cute little black and white dog that looks like a Border Collie with a haircut! :rolleyes:

I love it how these rescues just keep you guessing!

My Border Collie points. Not quite like Pointers/setters do, but every time he is giving something the "eye" he will raise one foot. I thought he was pointing at first too but it's really just his way of eyeing something. He doesn't lower his head as much as most BCs do.

See, Riven lowers her head and gives me the eye if Im in the kitchen cooking. She never tries to herd, but she does give the eye. There was a difference in her eye and pointing. Maybe its just something she does? lol Incidentally I was googling Brittanys and they said black is a disqualification color with AKC.. lol thats ok though I dont care what they think lol

Kat - I am gonna pm with a training issue we've dicussed on here before. And thank you for saying she was cute :rolleyes: She really is and pictures dont do her justice. That picture was actually before the haircut!! lol

Borderlicious - I think maybe Riven could be eyeing and just happen to be pointing now that I know other BC's are doing it too.

I may be incorrect in this (and I hope someone points it out if I am) but I believe that some feel that the Border Collie does have some spaniel/bird dog ancestry many generations back.

As for your dog, I could easily accept some spaniel in her background from that picture. Whether or not, she's lovely!

Originally posted by Sue R:

I believe that some feel that the Border Collie does have some spaniel/bird dog ancestry many generations back.

That is what I always though - really long ago of course but it would make sense - they both have a kind of eye...

From what I have heard/read, to get the BC they mixed all kinds of different dogs - so they kind of have some of everything in them. Some sighthound, some spaniel, some hunting, etc. That may not be true, but it sure sounds impressive!

Originally posted by smileyzookie

That picture was actually before the haircut!!

LOL!!! I guess you can tell more on her body then her face! So sorry Riv! :D Your are still cute though. :rolleyes:

Ferg does the pointing bit when she's getting ready to pounce a frog. She can stand at the edge of the pond with one foot in the air for ages. I often have to prod her - and tell her that if she doesn't get that frog, the squirrel will. Our universal threat.

She loves it when the frogs go "Eeep, eep, eep!" and hop on water.

Wow I had no clue BC was a bunch of mixes like that. That would explain the pointing if that is the case! But it was hilarious to see her point with her back foot lol :D:D

This is post haircut lol - Too short IMO. All I wanted was her trimmed up, she had very uneven layers. She practically got shaved :rolleyes: I miss my BC ears!!! lol

IM000307a.jpg

It's more that the proto-Border collies had convenient stuff crossed into them from time to time. Actually, crossing continued well after the breed was establish, mostly to get poaching dogs - sheep herders by day, game dogs by night.

Just check my avatar and you'll see mine half-pointing - at a ball He does the full pointing thing and moving in slow motion trying to catch to rabits and squirells, too.

I always say my BC is a Jacke-of-all-trades dog: he's meant to be a herding dog (hasn't see sheep yet), he's a hunting dog, water dog, retriever, etc

Maybe it's something that all BC's have in them!

And I agree Riven is a cutie