BC Boards

Kayzie on Sheep

KelliePup

So, I put this video together to shown my non-herding students why they should be proactive in their training. In doing that, I think I gained a little more insight into the body language and interaction of both KZ and the sheep.

This was her 1st time actually working. She's about 8 months old to a year old. Fair warning, she was injured, though not badly, and it does show what I mean when I said she goes nuts when the sheep move. I was not handling her this time, and this was the instructor's first time ever meeting KZ let alone working her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UBIFa3YAEU

KZ looks like a nice dog with lots of potential. It looked a little wild, but I wouldn't say she went nuts. Although the sheep were standing still, they weren't settled, and KZ was still fully engaged with the sheep when the handler approached her. The instant the sheep moved, KZ reacted to stop them. A bit of an overreaction, but not a bad idea. When the handler layed KZ down, KZ released the pressure on the sheep and disengaged. Very nice.

I'd be very happy with that as a first time working sheep.

Glenn

Oh, I am very pleased. Her first time I was thrilled that she got the idea to get off the sheep a bit. Her down wasn't a complete fluke, it's really good, but in this case I think it was partly due to the ewe landing on her right back leg. Minor injury she has recovered completely from.

In many ways, she's shows a lot of self control (that and down were two of the first things she learned). I think she'll get better and more confident with more exposure, right now she still speeds up and overreacts when she lifts the sheep. It's hit or miss, she's had some great lifts and some not so great, but I think she is improving.

I'll have to see if I can get a vid for today's lesson so y'all can see her progress and what I mean...

KZ looks like a nice dog with lots of potential. It looked a little wild, but I wouldn't say she went nuts. Although the sheep were standing still, they weren't settled, and KZ was still fully engaged with the sheep when the handler approached her. The instant the sheep moved, KZ reacted to stop them. A bit of an overreaction, but not a bad idea. When the handler layed KZ down, KZ released the pressure on the sheep and disengaged. Very nice.

I'd be very happy with that as a first time working sheep.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn :D That confirms what I was thinking, and gives me more confidence in my reading!

I don't see anything over the top, especially for a youngster's first time on sheep. I rather like her enthusiasm/keenness. I think she showed a lot of restraint for a young dog. What she did going after the one sheep is typical, and although she caused it (caused the sheep to move by moving toward them as the trainer was reaching for her) the actual jump/grip is not something I would call "going nuts." I'd much, much rather have a dog who is willing to try to stop a sheep (and although it was off camera, it looks like she must have done the right thing when the second sheep left the bunch there toward the end--she brought it back nicely anyway) than one that will just let it go. During all that excitement her tail did come up, which means she had probably turned her brain off a bit, but overall I would have been very happy with that for a start. She also turned very nicely when the trainer stepped into her. A lot of good to work with there.

I'll be curious to see how she progresses. (Oh, and injuries are relatively uncommon, especially once a youngster gains self control.)

J.

Yeah, we might have to wait a bit for another vid. KZ went into season and was not her normal self for tonight's lesson. It was dive in or shut down. Not like her at all... I'll review the footage I have, but it really wasn't pretty.<_<

Archived