BC Boards

Control Unleashed

Ollysmom

Yes, love it. Do a search on this site for it and you will see several threads discussing training techniques from it (Rootbeer has some good posts).

One thing, it is my opinion (and not just mine) that the book is poorly edited, so if you read through it and are finding a hard time following, persevere and once you read more it will all come together.

One thing, it is my opinion (and not just mine) that the book is poorly edited, so if you read through it and are finding a hard time following, persevere and once you read more it will all come together.

Even if you don't have a puppy, I highly recommend that you get the new Control Unleashed Puppy book instead of the original CU book. It is much easier to read, and it has better descriptions of the exercises, plus it contains some exercises (like "Take a Breath") that are not in the original book.

But yes, I've had tons of success with this program - with four different dogs for many different challenges. The techniques are such a part of my overall approach now that I honestly can't imagine not using them to build focus, duration, enthusiasm, and an excellent working partnership with my performance dogs.

I will definitely opt for the puppy book then. My bc is 10 months old right now. He went to a family dog obedience class at 7-8 months and knows all the basics and a little more. He is very motion sensitive. He goes into a fit if he sees another dog running or playing and he can't get to them. He tries to chase cars on our walks and such. His fits always start with "the eye" which then changes to lounging and barking. So for now he is totally unreliable off leash because of these very dangerous distractions. I don't doubt that one day he will be controllable, just need to figure out how to get there. Does this sound like the right book for me in anyones opinion?

I will definitely opt for the puppy book then. My bc is 10 months old right now. He went to a family dog obedience class at 7-8 months and knows all the basics and a little more. He is very motion sensitive. He goes into a fit if he sees another dog running or playing and he can't get to them. He tries to chase cars on our walks and such. His fits always start with "the eye" which then changes to lounging and barking. So for now he is totally unreliable off leash because of these very dangerous distractions. I don't doubt that one day he will be controllable, just need to figure out how to get there. Does this sound like the right book for me in anyones opinion?

Yes, it can definitely help with both of those things.

Dean was very motion triggered, and I used the Look at That Game from CU to help him learn to remain calm and in his right mind around those motion triggers. He can watch dogs do Agility, or cars go by, etc. now and he is not triggered by them.

And the Whiplash Turn is an excellent way to build a solid recall.

Leslie McDevitt has her own yahoo group where she answers questions personally. Once you have read the book, you can join and actually as her, and others who know the program well, questions. I highly recommend it once you have gotten into the puppy book.

That's awesome she has a site where you can ask questions directly. Also encouraging to hear it has worked for you two. I'm definitely going to use these techniques, it would be nice to go for a walk without having to hold my dog back from cars, bikes and joggers. Even better, if I got him to the point where he would be trusted off leash at beaches, parks, trails, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Even if you don't have a puppy, I highly recommend that you get the new Control Unleashed Puppy book instead of the original CU book. It is much easier to read, and it has better descriptions of the exercises, plus it contains some exercises (like "Take a Breath") that are not in the original book.

Does the original cover topics that aren't covered in the second book ?

The puppy book is very good.

For the most part, what is in the puppy book is in the original.

There is some more discussion of the theory behind the program in the original (Chapter 2).

Also, I don't believe (although I could be wrong) that two of the parallel games - Out and Mats and the Car Crash Game - are discussed in the puppy book.

But the puppy book has Take a Breath, which is a fantastic addition, as well as better explanations of the core games in the program.

I'm interested in purchasing the puppy version but I can't seem to find it (I think, or is this the one) can anyone give me a link so I can purchase it?

Hi Heather Rae,

That's the original.

You can find purchase information for the puppy book here:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3080&ParentPage=whatsnew

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part, what is in the puppy book is in the original.

There is some more discussion of the theory behind the program in the original (Chapter 2).

Also, I don't believe (although I could be wrong) that two of the parallel games - Out and Mats and the Car Crash Game - are discussed in the puppy book.

But the puppy book has Take a Breath, which is a fantastic addition, as well as better explanations of the core games in the program.

Thanks, i'll stick to the puppy one for now, then :)