BC Boards

Can BC's Live in an Apartment?

Mirage lives in an apartment, and she's happy here. I'm a SAHW and my husband has a pretty much 9-5 job, so we have plenty of time to spend with her. She has a cat, 5 rats, and a guinea pig to stimulate her too! LOL

ETA: I would also go with a rescue. We got Mirage from a breeder, but I normally prefer rescue.

- Brooke -

I bought my house with about 1/4 acre yard, in part because I knew it would be ideal for a dog. After 2 years fixing it up (hazards and construction everywhere) I got my dog and promptly put in a $4,000 chain link fence so he'd have a safe place to run.

And where do we stand?

Buddy will NOT poop in his own yard, so I have to walk him come hell or high water.

And he will not stay out in the yard entertaining himself - wherever I am, he wants to be.

So... I may as well live in a studio apartment. I say go ahead and get the dog. You'll end up spending your life giving him exercise either way. :rolleyes:

Mary

I live in a very small house with two border collies. I have a lot of room to roam but no fenced yard. Both of my dogs have disabilities (one blind, one deaf) and can never be offleash for their own safety. I have access to a fenced yard but my blind dog gets scared and obsesses about where the gate is. The deaf dog just runs up and down the fence compulsively and refuses to interact with me in a fenced yard. Neither enjoy fetching, so all I can really do, is walk and walk and walk these dogs. Luckily, I happen to enjoy walking so it works well.

The one thing that has helped me has been sticking to a schedule. When they get walked when they expect to be, my life is calm.

Some time ago, someone on this forum posted an excellent article about the myth of BC in apartments and the real need of exercise and stimulation before space. I had it in my favorites in my old PC, but I lost it and I couldn't find it searching in here or by Google. Does anyone remember it? :rolleyes: