BC Boards

Strange lumps!

Macsmum

Hi everyone,

I have just found two lumps on my 7 month old pup and I am hoping someone can provide some reassurance while I wait to get to the vet! The lumps are squishy and move around, both on his side, behind his ribs. One is small and roundish and the other is longer and can sort of be 'squished up' into different shapes. They don't seem to be uncomfortable as he is quite happy for me to feel them. There is no sign of any breaks in the skin that I can see. About 5 days ago he tried to jump a cattle stop and fell hard enough to have a limp for a few minutes, could this be some kind of strange swelling from a knock like this? I am wondering if I wait a few days and see if they disappear or if I need to get to my vet tomorrow!?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Nat (and Mac)

They sound like just some sort of fatty tumors, probably benign, but I would definitely get him in to the vet, just for peace of mind. If he fell between the bars of the cattle grids. that the swelling could be from that. But if they are not painful and not growing or changing, I'd say you're safe in waiting a few days. But don't wait too long, just in case.

Best of luck!

~ Gloria

I wouldn't touch them anymore without consulting a vet. If there is any bacteria in them, you risk spreading the bacteria throughout the body. Take him in to be on the safe side. Throughout the years, I've had quite the experience with dog lumps and always got them checked out to be safe. Good luck!

Don't mess with them and squish them around. You run great risk, doing that, if they are infections or tumors. Take him to the vet right away. Most likely they are fatty deposits and harmless but you need to find out.

Please let us know.

One of my dogs once crashed into the corner of the barn (took a curve too tight, that kind of dog). Resulted in a limp and a squishy swelling like you describe. So I think it might be traumatic. In the case of my dog it took quite some time but at the end of disappeared completely.

Thanks for the help guys!

Don't worry, i definitely didn't squish them beyond the first inspection! Vet said he thought they were most likely haematomas, even without me yet having volunteered the information that he had fallen earlier that week, so I am reassured it's nothing sinister! Taking him back in a month to double check they are going down and no other changes have occurred! The little critter has just pulled all my washing off the line and dug a hole in the lawn so clearly not feeling off colour! Time for a trip to the beach I think!