BC Boards

Puppy Mill BCs available for adoption NOW!

Columbia MO

Hi all,

I'm not affiliated with any BC rescue, but am one of the people that had stepped forward to foster a Border Collie from the group of 40 or so that were surrendered by Awesome Border Collies last week.

It turns out the the Missouri Dept. of Agriculture, in an effort to support puppy "agriculture," will not be offering any of these dogs to a rescue. Instead, the dogs/puppies are being offered unspayed and unneutered on a first come, first serve basis for $30 each. Commercial breeders are welcome to adopt, but anybody affiliated with a rescue is not. They started selling the dogs today, and were careful to NOT alert any of the rescue people that have been following this case. I have been told that most of the adopters have been local farmers (whether sheep farmers or puppy mill farmers is still an open question).

The dogs are being held at a Springfield MO area puppy mill auction place (http://www.onlinepetauction.com). They have already sold 11 of the dogs today, and there are two more buyers coming later today. I'm located 3 hours away and can't get there before they close, but am taking the day off work tomorrow and going to adopt at least one of these dogs myself. I'm hoping that every Missouri BC lover on this list who possibly can will join me in adopting one of these dogs.

The holding facility is located off Hwy 76 and the physical address is Route 1, Box 9D, Rocky Comfort, MO 64861. They are open normal business hours.

Note that MO Dept. of Ag. will ONLY sell dogs to people that are NOT affiliated with rescues and will NOT consider selling a dog to somebody that is acting as a foster home for a rescue. You must be willing to KEEP the puppy or dog that you adopt.

If you have any questions, you can call John Cupps, MO Dept. of Ag. at (417) 489-1214, or the puppy mill auction place at (417) 652-7540. Be courteous--both of these people were very nice when I talked to them on the phone. You can also reach me personally at k9shrink@prodigy.net.

Columbia, MO

Originally posted by Columbia MO:

The dogs are being held at a Springfield MO area puppy mill auction place (http://www.onlinepetauction.com). They have already sold 11 of the dogs today, and there are two more buyers coming later today.... You must be willing to KEEP the puppy or dog that you adopt.

UNBELIEVABLE!! AND SO VERY SAD!

Normally I'm cheering to see the states support the small family farm but UGH.

So, stupid question - how bad did it have to be that the state removed the dogs, only to turn them back over to OTHER commercial breeders? OR maybe they heard a rumor that Awesome was really a rescuer, which seems to be the only true evil in the state's mind? :rolleyes:

Reading that makes me sick to stomach and brought tears to my eyes. I was truly hoping to be able to offer one of these dogs a wonderful, loving forever home.

Seems like the MO Dept. of Ag. does not care about these poor dogs, or what is best for them. If they truly cared they would have released them to rescuers not to any this auction place the will give them to any old person that hands over $30.

I think I'll go hug my boy now...

Here's what I did for my part - and I hope it helps, if even one dog. I just forwarded the abbreviated story and Missouri state's contact information to every single person in my address book who might have a dog-savvy aquaintance or relative in Missouri. If we all do that, maybe people will hear about it, and the dogs will at least have a chance to be "purchased" by non- "commercial breeders". The thought of this makes me want to gag. Those poor dogs, out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Why the heck are they using this as a quick fix whenever the dogs have rescue people willing to help?! I don't understand this at all and I can only imagine that this sort of haphazard rehoming attempt will result in the dogs being returned later down the line by owners who aren't BC savvy.

This galls me. It really does...

What can we do? I don't know anyone in the states, but I have many online friends, many of whom are from the states.

Should I pass on this information to them, tell this story?

God, I just wish there was something I could do!

OMG!! That made me want to scream just reading. I have been through "smaller scale" experiences like this (rescues willing to help, government saying absolutely not) Makes me sick!! I'd like to type a few choice words right now..

Still sending good vibes to all those pups :rolleyes:

I just posted a question under the original Awesome Border Collies thread, maybe it should have gone here instead...what if everyone were to email the directors of the Mo. Dept of Agriculture and express their outrage? The email addresses are on the Dept's webpage- or check out my other post.

I don't know if it would make one iota of difference (generally once an idiot's mind is made up it's difficult to change it) but if enough people wrote, maybe it would get someone's attention?

edit: my sister and brother in law live in Kansas, so I emailed them to see if they know of anyone a bit closer who might be willing to "buy" some dogs...

>

No, I would guess the reason is that MO really is the puppy mill capital of the US, and the MO Dept of Agriculture sees puppies as commodities, dogs as breeding stock, and its role as supporting the dog farmer. That's why I think the media would be a more promising route, because there are probably a lot of people in the state (whether or not a majority) who would see it differently, and think this was a bad thing for their Ag Dept to be doing.

....sigh....this is such an up-hill battle. With folks like the $%#@! state of MO we will never win. How can people in a state NOT know that their dept of ag supports this? How can these people NOT vote against the laws that support puppy mills? How can the folks of this state not raise holy hell on a DAILY basis that their money is going to support this type of "business"?

Well, that just brought a horrible end to my already horrible day. I feel so bad for those dogs. Really, death is better than going back to another mill. How terrible...how horribly terrible.

:rolleyes:

There is a great deal I would like to say at this point But right now I am very drained from a VERY difficult week of dealing with this HANDS ON and I need time to recompose myself.

Surfice it to say that I know beyond any doubt that a great many of these dogs are in a much better situation then they were this time last week.

Pointing fingers at Missouri thinking it is to blame is really not looking at the big picture.

Sure Missouri is a battleground but its not the whole War.

Educate the people in Calif so they will stop shelling out a couple thousand bucks for a BC because they want a BC cause its the "IN" dog

do the same to the people of NY, really any densely populated area.

This is a War people, the battles are everywhere.

I have heard the talk and it has caused me to walk the walk at no small expense I will add.

It would be very easy for me to just go back to what I was doing a few short months ago,living my life,enjoying my wife,our farm, our animals, but knowing what I know now I could never live with myself if I turned a blind eye to this.

My foot has been set upon a path that for whatever purpose only by walking that path can i possibly hope to find where it leads.

"No one can walk backwards into the future"

Ani yunwiya

(walk with the Earth and not upon it)

Ironhorse -

We are all on the same side. And like you said, the battles are everywhere - including MO. So I will point my fingers as will others becasue MO is KNOWN as the puppy mill state. And any state that 'funds' puppy mills is wrong. MO or any other state.

We can all help and education one person at a time. And we can only hope that through all that we do that some day, some one might make a difference in the life of one dog. And hopefully that will carry on.

I hope and pray that the dogs WILL be in a better situation that they were in a week ago. But for the state to re-sell to known breeders (intact no less) and purposely AVOID the rescue groups that were willing to take ALL the dogs, right then and there...well, that just reaks of alterior motive.

It's sad and I can only hope that these dogs will not suffer ever again.

Denise