BC Boards

peeing on bed and couch!

Ive had my border collie Cameron since he was 8 weeks, and hes been house trained since he was 10 weeks. He is almost 7 months old now and the only time hes had an accident since is when he was sick with dirreah. In the last week, he went into my room and peed on my bed, then 2 days later when i was in the washroom he peed on my leather boy couch, and this morning my boyfriend got up for work let him (sometimes hell be outside for half an hour an not pee i dont know if he did this morning) and as soon as my boyfriend left for work my bc jumped on the bed (where i was still sleeping) and peed!

why is he doing this! 3 times in a week and im starting to loose my patience. never when my boyfriend is there either. He knows hes not allowed to do it because he hides under the table or in his kennel and wont look at you.

YES he was let out to use the washroom shortly before every incident im getting frusterated i cant figure out why a 100% house trained dog is doing this and how to make it stop.

post-15329-0-54572700-1380538935_thumb.jpg

post-15329-0-46468100-1380538936_thumb.jpg

Have him checked for a UTI and anything else your vet might think is relevant. It is important to rule out a physical cause before taking any action to change the behavior. Even though he is young, a physical cause is still possible.

why is he doing this! 3 times in a week and im starting to loose my patience. never when my boyfriend is there either. He knows hes not allowed to do it because he hides under the table or in his kennel and wont look at you.

Imagine if you had an infection that meant you couldn't hold it. How would you feel if someone you ought to be able to trust got angry with you for something you couldn't help?

He hides under the table because he knows you are ticked off, not because he feels guilty for doing what is wrong in your eyes. He's just a dog and they don't think the way humans do.

Scaring him, even if you don't mean to, is only likely to make it worse.

It could be hormonal as well as he is just coming into adolescence and his behaviour will almost certainly change anyway.

As Root Beer says, get him checked out for a physical cause, and in the meantime prevent him having access to the places he has peed - your bed and your couch. You don't want him to get into a habit and that's the simplest way to prevent it. It probably won't be necessary to do it for long.

Go back to square one with the house training too. Go outside with him to make sure he does something and reward him for doing it. Put a command to it so he will do it when you say. BCs in particular are well known for forgetting to toilet if something catches their interest.

i was considering a uti as well, so ill have to get my vet to check it out for me.
Im also wondering if because my neighbour has decided to keep their dog outside on a lead during the day (something i dont agree with ) and they love to play and my dog doesnt need to go on a lead because he comes when called and doesnt wander and is always supervised, maybe hes too distracted with going over to play with his buddy to adress using the washroom/

My young dog, who has been castrated most of his life, somehow found a hormone reserve just after his fourth birthday and started marking & mounting. He'll also get so distracted he won't pee when he goes out. The rule in my house is no playing until you pee (within reason, obviously). The boys have to put down the frisbee/stick/whatever and pee before playing. For a while with Hoot, that meant he went out on his own first. Once I determined the marking was behavioural, he went back to puppy-style boot camp for a few days (ie, constant supervision or in a crate) and he knocked it off.

If you think the neighbor's dog is distracting him and preventing him from doing his business, then maybe he needs to be on lead and walked in the yard (using a potty command if he has one) to be sure he pees/poops before he goes to visit the neighbor. Aside from a possible UTI, it's entirely possible that there are much more interesting things to do in the yard when he goes out and if no one is there to get him to focus on the task at hand (going potty), then he may just not get around to it.

I would certainly look at possible organic causes (e.g., UTI) and human management issues (e.g., not making sure he's doing what he's supposed to do while he's outside) before blaming him.

J.

Like others have said, UTI, or hormones. A vet visit is probably not a bad idea.

Also consider at 7 months old he is still a growing, learning puppy. This may be a behavioral setback of some kind which is far from abnormal.

Whatever the reason for what he is doing, you have to go back and treat him as if he was an untrained puppy. Block access to the places he goes, confine him when he can't be supervised, supervise outside time and ensure that toileting happens, reward toileting when it happens where its supposed to and clean the places he is going with appropriate stuff so he won't be tempted to go there again.

Resist the urge to punish him for going in the house, both because its probably not teaching him much and because you can inadvertently train him that you get angry when you see pee and he won't pee in front of you which will make housetraining harder.

Hang in there...he will grow up someday.

One of the best things I have ever done with any of my dogs has been with Gibbs. He was 3 yrs old when he came to us, and pretty well house broken. We have a small back yard with just enough room for him to chase a ball a little.

I play ball with him, maybe 10 or 12 tosses at a time, a few times throughout the day. This is in addition to daily visits to the dog park and other fun stuff. So, one day I told him to potty after we'd been playing a few minutes. He obeyed.

The light bulb went off for me. I knew that if I took him inside, he'd learn that pottying on command made the fun stop. So I grabbed his ball and we played fetch for another few minutes. He liked that a lot.

The next time I took him out, the same thing happened. Play fetch a few times, cue potty, he relieves himself, and we played fetch again.

The 3rd time I tried it, he wouldn't relieve himself. The timing was right for him to need to potty, but he wouldn't. So we went inside. An hour later out we go again. Fetch for a few minutes, cue potty. He relieved himself, we played fetch for several more minutes.

So that's our routine, and it works nicely. He relieves himself when asked to, and the fun continues. He doesn't need to relieve himself? Well, he must want to go back inside then.

I do have to watch my timing, so that I get him out before I need to leave in time for a little bit of fetch at least. Works for us, and he potties on command about 90% of the time I cue it.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

My pup can get pretty distracted in the yard and much prefer playing over peeing. Early on I taught him to ring some bells on the door when he has to go. When he rings the bells he goes out on leash to potty only. Then back inside. If he rings bellls and we go out and no potty we just go back in the house. They can learn pretty quickly that ringing the bells doesn't just mean go outside. If we are going out to play, no leash. Kai knows the difference. If I put the leash on he is very calm and walks quietly outside to potty. If no leash he is pretty excited. We now have a wait command at the door so he doesn't just rocket through the door.

We taught to go potty on command and then she would get a treat...one day, she was going potty quite a bit (waiting at door, runs outside, squats, then come back and treated) and we figured out she didn't need to pee but wanted a treat.....we started to only treat at the last potty time at night after that but this method works for us now.

I would check for a UIT, vet visit, see if there are stress going on in your life, put him on pee time with no distractions and maybe crate time.