What about the ISDS?

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#42 jbridges

jbridges

• Registered Users
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Dogs. Hotrod cars. GMC motorhomes

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

Someone will have to ask for it to be added.

My initial concern wasn't 'who do and who don't' as far as registries go.  It was to inform people about the rather draconian laws that get passed, sometimes with the best of intentions. 

#43 Journey

Journey

Happiness is not having what you want but wanting what you have.

• Registered Users
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

Good grief...2 of those don't exist anymore.
Karen & the growing pack of spoiled mutts!
Posted Image

#44 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

Holy crap! This week?

The conversation I related happened in the early '80s. It's sad to think there's been so little progress in 35 years.

Sometimes (often actually) I despair for the human race. :rolleyes:

Me, too, GentleLake.

I had that same interaction not long ago with someone who kept insisting that "even dogs bred for working performance should have a standard that makes them all look alike".

I found it impossible to get it through that person's thick skull that such a thing is anathema to selecting for working qualities. Cannot select for both. cannot. Cannot. But that person just couldn't get it.

I gave up pretty quickly, as I knew I was talking to an ACK dog breeder. Not a Barbie collie breeder, not even a working dog breeder. But it is as if they have all been brainwashed or something. It's scary.

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#45 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,726 posts
  • Interests:Stockdogs, horses, chocolate

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

I had my Celt and Megan at the pet food store one day, back when they were both probably about a year or two old. Both are pretty "classic" - black and white with tradition markings, medium rough coats, Megan with tipped ears (set by her previous owner) and Celt with sort-of airplane ears. A woman asked what they were crossed with as they were not purebred Border Collies. I said they were purebred but working-bred not show-bred. She disagreed and said they must be cross-bred. The store owner chimed in that they were working-bred, and purebred, but that working-bred Border Collies did not tend to look like show-bred or even have any sort of consistent look because they were bred for work, not looks. She continued to disagree and tell us we were both wrong because she knew what a Border Collie should look like and neither of mine did. 

So, in spite of my knowing Celt's mother and father in person, and having his pedigree; in spite of having Megan's pedigree; in spite of anything the store owner or I could say, this woman knew better than either of us and that was that, because she'd seen Border Collies in shows (like Westminster) and mine obviously were not purebred since the ones in the shows obviously were, and they did not look the same. 

This was not the first time I had a purebred dog (the other was a farm-bred Airedale bitch, not registered but purebred) that someone knew better than I did, and told me so, because my particular dog did not fit the cookie-cutter mold of the show world. 

What is it about a little knowledge being like a razor in a monkey's hand? 

Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"When the chips are down, watch where you step."

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#46 Riika

Riika

• Registered Users
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

~Kailey~My blog. http://annesalpinesd...ts.blogspot.com<p> 

#47 Smalahundur

Smalahundur

• Registered Users
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

The rabbithole is even deeper Sue, I had a discussion with someone who said that a dog (whatever breed) cannot be purebred when it doesn't have papers. Even when both the dog's parents are registered pure bred dogs ( to be clear, of the same breed ;) ). She went so far to say that such a dog can't be called that breed....

"Milli manns og hests og hunds hangir leyniþráður"

#48 jbridges

jbridges

• Registered Users
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:02 PM

They're two fairly distinct sets of dogs.  What you see at conformation shows have no intensity or Eye.  What you see at Trials bears little resemblance to the conformation dogs.  Both types' fanciers need however to face the common enemy.  If we do not unite against the animal rights movement we will fall, separately or together.

#49 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,726 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

The rabbithole is even deeper Sue, I had a discussion with someone who said that a dog (whatever breed) cannot be purebred when it doesn't have papers. Even when both the dog's parents are registered pure bred dogs ( to be clear, of the same breed ;) ). She went so far to say that such a dog can't be called that breed....

Obviously an expert! Just like the guy who insisted Celt was a BC crossed with a Greyhound, and he's not even my lurcher-looking dog! 

Sue Rayburn - Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult, but not the brightest firefly in the jar.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything." - author unknown

#50 Liz P

Liz P

optimistic realist

• Registered Users
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

Tweed is a Sheltie x Great Dane cross.  :P

#51 Eileen Stein

Eileen Stein

• Administrators
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

Both types' fanciers need however to face the common enemy.  If we do not unite against the animal rights movement we will fall, separately or together.

I agree that we need to face common enemies and oppose common enemies.  I don't agree that we need to "unite" against common enemies.  If the AKC had known about this county initiative, no doubt they would have weighed in with their views.  Likewise, if the ABCA had known about this county initiative, no doubt they would have weighed in with their views.  I don't see any reason why the two organizations should unite to present their views.  Seems to me that would probably be less effective rather than more.

Support the ABCAHealth& EducationFoundation by using Amazon Smile

#52 D'Elle

D'Elle

• Registered Users
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

I agree with Eileen, above.

Protest from two separate registries would have more impact.

(and.....I'm not uniting with the ACK over anything, myself)

I have also had the purebred status of my BCs questioned, of course, although interestingly no one at a Freestyle event ever questioned Jester's lineage.

But people can be pretty weird about dogs, right? Like the guy I met who had a huge dog, maybe 60 pounds,  looked like a pit mixed with some kind of hunting or hound dog, who declared he was a "purebred Giant Jack Russel terrier". I should have kept my mouth shut, of course. But I muttered something about there being no such thing, and he almost hit me while yelling "I know dogs!!! I know a lot about dogs!! And that is what this dog is! He's a purebred Giant Jack Russel!"

D'Elle

and family.

Left to right: Kit, Jester, Boo, Digger

Mydogs12-2013Smaller.jpg
"You gonna throw that?" --Jester:  2001 - June 24 2016. Remembered with much love.
"I'm grouchier than you are" --Kit

"I love everyone!" -- Boo

(Boing! Boing! Boing!)--Digger

And not pictured, Benjamin the cat, who thinks he is a small border collie with superpowers.

#53 Sue R

Sue R

Bark less, wag more

• Registered Users
  • 12,726 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

Funny, if it wasn't so sad.

Celt, Megan, and Dan

#54 GentleLake

GentleLake

• Registered Users
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Funny, if it wasn't so sad.

Um, yeah . . . :rolleyes:

“I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive.” - Gilda Radner

#55 jbridges

jbridges

• Registered Users
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

Unite in sharing information about the common enemy.  Poor choice of words on my part, 'share information' would be better. 

--johnny

#56 terrecar

terrecar

Sheepdogger Wannabe

• Registered Users
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

I'm waiting for someone to tell me Jan is a Panda German Shepherd. Seriously though, my non dog owning next door neighbor (on my favorite side) just looked at her and said, "That's a nice looking dog".

#57 diane allen

diane allen

• Registered Users
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

I'm coming in quite late to this discussion, but back on the first page, there was a statement (which I can't seem to copy....grrr!), that the original intent was to (I'm paraphrasing) encourage responsible breeding and cut down on the dogs turned into shelters. 

Excuse me!  Who thinks that responsible breeding will cut down on shelter-relinquishments, stray dogs picked up by AC, or backyard breeders ignoring the law and getting away with it?  (I know - nobody here, but someone "in power" must....)

Sure there are purebred dogs turned in, found as strays, etc.  But they are not the majority of dogs in shelters.  The responsible breeder, of course, will take the dog back anytime during it's lifetime; but even so, not everyone would return to the breeder.

Anyway, onward with the  ACK discussion....I gotta go feed my two rescued border collies.

diane

#58 jbridges

jbridges

• Registered Users
  • 32 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

NAIA did a study a couple of year ago.  Using the shelters' criteria for breed, something like 10 percent of inhabitants were 'purebred'.

Our Kuvasz boy is normally accused of being a 'labradoodle' even more than a Great Pyrenees, times have changed.  Poodle (!) and "White Golden Retriever" also appear.  Don't even ASK about the two Border girls - one ABC and one From A Good Neighborhood, both from Phoenix Rising Rescue.

Instead of bashing registries, why not put the same effort into making your County Commissioner aware of the pitfalls of restrictive laws? 

--johnny

#59 Tommy Coyote

Tommy Coyote

• Registered Users
  • 2,795 posts

Posted Today, 09:53 AM

About 60% of the dogs in our shelters are pit bulls or pit bull mixes.  If they could get a handle on that problem the shelters wouldn't be so overburdened.

We still have a big problem with the puppy mills here.  A lot of their cast offs end up over burdening the rescue groups.

I just read an article yesterday about the dog sales at flea markets.  Now that the laws for puppy mills are getting stricter more and more of the puppy mill dogs are being sold at flea markets.  The rules don't apply there.

#60 Eileen Stein

Eileen Stein

• Administrators
  • 5,497 posts

Posted Today, 10:07 AM

Instead of bashing registries, why not put the same effort into making your County Commissioner aware of the pitfalls of restrictive laws? 

--johnny

I find I can spread my efforts on behalf of border collies wider than a single issue. For example, I can oppose misguided legislation, support health research, and still try to make people aware of the pitfalls of various registries.
Support the ABCAHealth& EducationFoundation by using Amazon Smile

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright: All posts and images on this site are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced or distributed in any way without permission. Banner photo courtesy of Denise Wall, 2009 CDWall. For further information, contact info@bordercollie.org.