BC Boards

Does agility class build confidence?

Cody has done one agility class - seemed to enjoy it. He was able to work totally off leash because he behaved to well. It is not convenient, we probably won't be competing in the future and it is not cheap. Cody has advanced a lot as a dog coming from rescue. He was really scared and skittish- now he is social, happy, etc. My husband thinks he is great within his little arranged world - but if to many things are different he can become unnerved. I will continue to bring Cody to class if there is benefit to him. Soooo- does agility help your dog build confidence or are we just assigning human emotions to my dog?

I think the confindence builder is being successful while interacting with you and building the relationship. Agility is certainly one way to do that, but it's not the actual accomplishment of learning a particular move. You can accomplish the same result by teaching tricks at home in the yard.

In my personal experience with scaredy-cat dogs, herding brings out the most confidence - if you find the right person to help let your dog blossom, i.e. not someone who may start whacking with a flag or noisemaker when your dog's still leery about the whole thing. Agility classes and trials can be overwhelming at first with all the action and noise.

This is what my dogs get out of agility.

For me it is a place to proof all our training, work on confidence building as you can decide how much you want to interact with all the noise (being a certain distance away) confidence on equipment training that i may not be able to do at home and something to give me to train at home that keeps my dogs active (mentally) and stops them from turning into the obsessive border collies i hate. For them it is all a big game and means the place to earn reinforcement while doing something they grow to absolutely love. It is the chance for them to work with their mum and builds our relationship. It is their chance to run and jump and be border collies. It is their chance to overcome fears and anxieties and really show me what they are capable of. It gives them the chance to make me the proudest mum in the whole world when my girls finally work off leash for the first time, when they can stand next to a seesaw banging and not be scared, when they can finally go over a dog walk and trust that it won't collapse beneath them.

For me it is the best thing i have ever done. Whether you compete or not it it is the little things that count. Maybe he will never perform the equipment but it is amazing to see them grow. We have been working on our seesaw because at first Myla was very tentative, now if she she's it out she will go flying over it and just be like "I can do it" because there was so much reinforcement there, toys and food she absolutely loves it and has no fears now. I know i may sound like they are my kids, but dogs have fears too, they are scared as well and most of all they want to be with us just as much as our kids do. Agility lets them for that hour build that special relationship and most of all have a blast!

I think it depends entirely on the approach taken in the class. Agility can absolutely help a dog grain confidence. But if too much pressure is put on the dog, then it can either not help or even exaggerate issues.

I am using Agility with Dean right now as one piece of his confidence building. It is working out really well because I'm moving at his pace. Right now we are working on helping him understand that the ring is a comfortable, safe, and fun place to be. Once he understands that, we will incorporate more of the nuts and bolts of Agility into that framework. If I were in a class with him where there were a lot of pressure to progress, it would not be building his confidence. I'm pretty lucky to be in a place where I am encouraged to take things at his pace and keep his comfort level as top priority.

I will say that one of the biggest confidence builders for Dean has been Rally. We aren't even in a Rally class - I homeschool him in Rally. I learned the meaning of the word "confidence" when I competed with him for the first time. He knew what his job was and he was genuinely happy to do it. He was "glowing"!! He hasn't gotten there in Agility yet, but I think he will someday.

Chase is a different dog when he's in agility class! If you didn't know his background, you would never think he had any kind of fear issues. Because of his issues, I was very careful and selective about choosing where I wanted to take him and under what instructor and how things were introduced to him. We must have done something right. He has blossomed. The instructor knew of his issues and was so patient, understanding and helpful. Whatever he tried or attempted was just great with us. When things became overwhelming and he needed a break, we took a break. We took it slow in the beginning and as someone else pointed out, there was no pressure on him at all. I also take him to obedience classes and think that has also had a positive impact.

He is so much more confident about himself.

I have had many people tell me that agility would help build Chase's confidence and I was skeptical because his issues seemed so severe to me, but was willing to try anything to help him. They were right, it has helped Chase :rolleyes:

My girl Nem was a very undersocialized and frightened little girl when I first adopted her. It took a long time to get her accustomed to my home environment . Once we did that , we took obedience classes . She really started to open up and feel better about things. I would take her to my indoor agility classes and she would sit in the car , not ready to come out yet. Which was fine , I didnt want to rush her . When she was "ready" she told me , she pulled towards my other dog who was with a friend and on his way up the stairs to the class. It took a couple of weeks for her to get her nerve up to walk up those stairs , but once she did , we had to overcome the noises and fast moving dogs and handlers.

But it didnt take too long for her to realize this was something she would like to do. If it has anything to do with me ( her mom ) and running , she was down with it. :D

We are getting close to our first MACH and our accomplishments are huge . She loves agility and Im so happy for her to have overcome her fears . She puts her total trust in me and I will never let her down ..

I know agility has helped her overcome alot of her fear issues . At agility classes there is alot of handlers shouting directions , dogs barking , teeters slamming , and poles dropping. And of course some good friends to critique your runs. :D And mostly ( I know at my classes ) there are people who are willing to work with you and your dog if you have problems. I really dont think you can get this type of atmosphere anywhere else.

If your dog is doing well at these classes , try to hold on for a few more sessions. Its good exercise for both of you and since you said it is helping , why stop ? I know its a expense , but taking other classes will add up as well.

Your dog is exposed to alot of different noises and people and dogs , in a controlled setting. Nowhere can you get this ( in my opionion). If your dog stays well focused and is physically capable of doing agility , stay with it. Youll be amazed how fast your dogs fear will subside .. :rolleyes:

Helping Cody get over his fear issues is the best thing you can do for him. Letting him "live" in his" own little world ", in my opinion , isnt fair and is only shortchanging him of a better life.

Good Luck .. :D

Agility is often a big confidence boost for shy or insecure dogs, provided you keep things fun and as Kristine says, avoid putting pressure on the dog. I got into agility with my first Sheltie who was genetically phobic because I had heard the sport was good for shy dogs. It was one of the best things I did for him. If I had left it up to him, he would never have chosen to leave the yard or possibly the house. He had every potential of turning into the Howard Hughs of dogs -- living in a darkened hotel room with long curling toenails. :rolleyes: Anyway, agility allowed him to shine both in the ring and other areas of life. It was important not to push him faster than he was ready to go. We repeated beginners class and after that he really took off in the sport.

Not every dog loves agility like my guy did, but I think most dogs find it fun, given the right attitude on the handler's part. When I used to teach agility classes, I loved watching the shy dogs blossom as they mastered new skills. I think it is definitely worth pursuing with your pup.

I agree with it being a confidence builder if it is appropriate for the specific dog.

I took a young dog that was the bottom of the pack and she blossomed.

Several other dogs in class had issues and were quietly worked through them.

All positive and fun. I also do agree that the biggest benefit is from the working with the handler in a successful fashion.

Certainty that what they are doing is "right" is what gives a dog confidence - it could be agility, it could be something else.

I found clicker training was the key for my most fearful dog.

He also liked agility and was more or less able to shut out his fears while doing it.

There is no blanket answer - it depends what a dog is worried by and how much it enjoys an activity. I have one that is very worried by over excited dogs after being attacked as a youngster. If he was more obsessed with agility it might override his fears, but he isn't so agility is not going to help in itself in the long run.

Pam

I also agree that it can be a confidence booster, relationship builder, etc, if it's appropriate for the dog. In other words, it's not more than he can handle and most importantly, he's having fun there. As others said, kept very positive and fun, I think it could be a good thing for an insecure dog.

To second what every one has added, there is a sheltie in our class who started as a shy velcro dog who was nervous of all the equipment but the tunnel. They had done a lot of obedience and been very good at it but her partner thought they both needed more exercise so tried agility. Their first training facility, where they had taken obedience classes just scared her with the A frame, but they tried again and now she is out ahead and jumping a full 16" with a big grin and a wagging tail, something none of us thought we would ever see. It has taken a long time to get this point, they are never going to compete but man and dog are having fun and both have lost weight. In her home life it has also given her more confidence.

If Brandys experience is anyting to go by, I think the key is finding a trainer who is patient and realizes that not every one is going to compete.

It really depends on the dog.

Freeman is a very shy dog, but no one would ever know in the context of agility.

The sounds don't phase him.

The masses of people don't phase him.

He actually happily greets strangers and happily accepts stranger greetings at trials, which is not his norm.

On the other hand,

I have a friend whose border collie loves running agility courses, but her dog never got completely comfortable with the trial scene.

I don't necissarily think there is magic to agility, but there is magic to finding something the dog is over the top crazy about and putting the dog to work doing it.

I don't necissarily think there is magic to agility, but there is magic to finding something the dog is over the top crazy about and putting the dog to work doing it.

Exactly! I think the majority of dogs, given the right approach, have a lot of fun in agility. For my shy guy, agility was so much fun for him that he forgot his fears. And I do think they get a sense of mastery in doing the various obstacles and learning to work with you as a team mate. But I've seen a couple dogs that seemed to have more fun in obedience. Then there is Flyball, Disc Dog, Dock Dog, Freestyle, etc.

Hi IPSY- I don't think Cody has a lot of issues- I think he is amazing. But, since my DH thinks that outside of his well organized world he can get a little stressed - I think we will continue agility. Some women get their nails done - I guess I will attend agility class. One great point I did get though - to keep it fun. I have such high expectations of Cody ( I believe that he could do anything - well not sheep, he is a big chicken) that I might have been pushing to hard his first class having him redo stuff that I thought he could do better. I will keep it like a field trip in the future. Thanks everyone for all your input.

One quick funny story- I found that I could have Cody jump all five jumps quickly in a row if I stood at the end and waited until he looked at me with that wonderful Border Collie stare. Once I had that all I had to do stare back and whisper his name and he would fly over the jumps to me. I thought he was wonderful. Then the instructor told me that you cannot position yourself in the middle of the jumps and stare down your dog. That your dog had to be getting instruction from the side. Oh well - that wonderful BC concentration- I thought I had found a shortcut :rolleyes:

Good to hear you will be doing agility with Cody. Hooray for you both !

Keep working with him . Sounds like he found his calling. I think with enough encouragement he will be a fantastic agility dog if you decide down the road to go for it. You were just in the wrong place when he took the 5 jumps , thats all . You can line him up again , and stand to the side and give him your cue , he'll figure it out , he's a BC ya know :D I think in no time , you will be running a full course and having a blast doing it. :rolleyes:

Keep smiling and keep breathing. (Some people forget to do those minor things) when running agility)

And always let him know your happy with him , no matter what.

Have fun girl !

One great point I did get though - to keep it fun. I have such high expectations of Cody ( I believe that he could do anything - well not sheep, he is a big chicken) that I might have been pushing to hard his first class having him redo stuff that I thought he could do better. I will keep it like a field trip in the future. Thanks everyone for all your input.

I've found that with some dogs, keeping it fun is an art in itself. My idea of keeping it fun is not always Dean's idea. Sometimes even things he adores at home stress him in a class situation.

I've used: letting him jump up to love on his human friends during class (either they are in the ring or he is released to the sidelines), restrained recalls, sending him away from me, and different toys (a tug, a ball, a frisbee), among other things to help keep it fun for him. A lot of times what he finds fun on a given day depends on his mood, although I can always count on letting him jump up to love on people as something he will enjoy.

There were times in the past when I put pressure on him to find things fun that he didn't on a given day. I've learned (the hard way) to listen to him when he's not interested in something.

Focusing on his comfort level has - in the long run - made Agility fun for both of us. It is different from playing with a dog who doesn't get stressed or fearful, but it is highly rewarding.

One quick funny story- I found that I could have Cody jump all five jumps quickly in a row if I stood at the end and waited until he looked at me with that wonderful Border Collie stare. Once I had that all I had to do stare back and whisper his name and he would fly over the jumps to me. I thought he was wonderful. Then the instructor told me that you cannot position yourself in the middle of the jumps and stare down your dog. That your dog had to be getting instruction from the side. Oh well - that wonderful BC concentration- I thought I had found a shortcut :rolleyes:

When starting jumps, this is exactly what I did. If you try to start off working from the side, the dog is just going to go around the jumps. First teach him that going over is what you want, and if you need to stand in the middle of the jump path, then that's what you do. My guy was started this way and now jumps at masters level (I don't have to stand at the end of the jumps anymore :D )

Positive reinforcement based training has done wonders for my nervous pup. We started with just basic obedience, then silly tricks and now we are doing agility. But her confidence was built through the process of training using positive reinforcement no matter what the particular behavior.

My Tempe has confidence issues. She is trained in flyball and just recently seems to finding it more fun than scary and has been competing in tourneys. She is 4 yrs old and it has taken alot to get her to this point, including she gets daily melatonin which seems to work for her. It seems to take just enough edge off.

Anyways, we also took some agility classes which I believe helped her confidence. I am not an agility person but Tempe probably would love to be an agility dog. She was picking up things pretty quickly. I had to keep it fun and keep myself high-energy/happy when working with her. She loves to tug so I have a place to start on what her comfort level is. If she will tug with me then she is in a decent state of mind. If she won't play tug then I know I have to work harder on making her comfortable. She was afraid of the teeter but one of the helpers knowing Tempe personally worked with us on the bang it game. Tempe still does not like it but she will do it. If Tempe missed an obstacle then we kept on going like nothing was wrong. Then we worked towards making her go back and actually do things if she missed them. We kept it all very happy and she could do no wrong.

I am thinking about signing her back up for some agility classes this spring. It has been awhile but I am sure she will be happy to play again.

So yeah I think it can help build confidence.

Thank you so much for everyone who shared their experience with me. We did our second class last night - Cody was so excited it was like he was going to camp. He did the A frame, the tunnel, the tire, the plank ( not sure if that is what you call it). He loved it. We had a little trouble with the shute tunnel - he did it okay the first time and then wanted to jump over it.

The instructor wanted us to go through a mini course - A frame, tunnel, 5 jumps, curved tunnel, tire. I was sitting with Cody as she explained it. I laughed to myself - thinking there was no way he was going to be successful. None- no way, not a chance. Our turn - he ran up the A frame (staying on through the yellow) throught the tunnel- over 4 of the 5 jumps, through the next tunnel, through the tire. I was so excited that we were both jumping up and down when he finished. We were told to do it in reverse - did it perfect. I cannot tell you how shocked I was. Cody was hopping his funny kangaroo leaps- fun was had by one and all.

Like lots of others have said, it depends on the dog. My late Meg , although well socialized from birth, was shy. Not fearful, not aggressive. For her, agility was just something she would do because I asked her to. But turn her loose where she could herd anything from ducks to cows and she was a completely different dog - she was in the zone and nothing bothered her! Each of my bc's has been different - Sara was confident at any activity. Katie, although exposed to herding, obedience, agility, flyball, etc., loves kids and is the happiest when she's on a play date!