BC Boards

Differences between Border Collies & Aussies?

I have lived with,worked, and bred both breeds. I really get tired of this kind of stereotypical myth stuff being passed around.

Lots of dogs have saved lives - including a number of mutts. It is not a breed specific thing. The act of dogs to save their "packs" has been well documented.

Aussies more physical, BCs more mental? Well, when you don't have any eye or real power, body slamming the stock does seem like the only option left doesn't it? Do I want my stock handled that way? Ah..no! There are better ways via better dogs.

There are few quality working Aussies left due to the bad breeding (the kind with emphasis on pet, show, color, and non-effective working techniques like chase and bite stuff that arena's "title" class's reward). Of those, there are some good ones. If you can find one more power too you - train it well and count your blessings because you aren't likely to see many more in your lifetime.

The only difference between what has happened to the Aussie and the BC currently is time. It is helping the the BC's purpose remains strong, and it's major competitive herding venue (USBCHA) is fashioned around real, usable, working skills for the farm.

Well, when you don't have any eye or real power, body slamming the stock does seem like the only option left doesn't it? Do I want my stock handled that way? Ah..no! There are better ways via better dogs.

:rolleyes::D:D Too true!!!

A

We've had several Aussies but had one terrific Aussie, farm-bred, from western NYS. Mac used presence and confidence to work in the fields (no good at gathering but excellent at wearing and making sure every cow made it through the gates - well, except the silly little calves as he adored them and was useless working them). He had bark, bite, and courage to work in the pen and chute.

He had a terrific off-switch that the cows and calves could read so, when he was outside with me but "off duty", they were comfortable and relaxed in his presence (and the little calves could sneak up from behind for a sniff of this intriguing creature). He would have been a much better and more useful dog if we had had a clue how to train him properly, so his limits were perhaps largely our fault.

He was something none of our Border Collies have ever been which is a family/home/farm/livestock guardian. Our home and our children were safe when he was around, and no stray dog (or neighbor dog, with whom he was normally best friends) could enter a pasture when his calves were in it.

He was no dumb "bark, bite, body-slamming" Aussie whose background was too removed from real working dogs. It's hard to find an Aussie like him nowadays. Too many have been bred for color, show, "versatility", and arena venues at best, and not to do a good stock job well.

We still needed a more useful, adaptable dog and that's how we came to get a few Border Collies. These particular dogs are not very well-bred but they are much more helpful in more situations than almost any Aussie I have met.

I like Aussies very much but I will always prefer a good Border Collie for stockwork and companionship.

He was no dumb "bark, bite, body-slamming" Aussie whose background was too removed from real working dogs. It's hard to find an Aussie like him nowadays. Too many have been bred for color, show, "versatility", and arena venues at best, and not to do a good stock job well.

Just wanted to add that I have some great stories of him saving me from the bull as well. Oh, and a good one about the time I gave myself a concussion and he spent several hours gently prodding me awake until my folks got home...