BC Boards

Something is wrong with Dylan

Dylandog

Dylan is a 3 year old neutered bc who has an unknown problem with his legs. His hips were x-rayed just over a year ago but 2 different vets said they looked normal. Neither vet could find anything wrong while examining him and said that the problem may go away by the time he is 3 but it’s getting worse. It’s hard to explain but one back leg looks stiff when he walks while to other seems to wobble and twist a bit. He has started to move both back legs together when he runs and it looks like he puts more weight on the stiff leg when running but I may be wrong. A year ago the vets they had trouble seeing the problem now random people are asking what is wrong with Dylan’s legs. Maybe 4 times in the last year Dylan has been incontinent (urine) after lots of running around.

He also limps intermittently on his front legs. He has done this since he was about 6 months old but from about a year old he would take off the skin on his front pads repeatedly so any limping was put down to that, but he is still limping even though his pads are now fine.

Dylan never sits unless told to. He does not even sit to scratch he ear. If he is made to sit for a long time he moves badly afterwards. When walking I sometimes hear his back claws dragging and he sticks his tongue out a lot (this is getting worse I think), like he forgets about it, however, his bottom jaw is too short so its hard to tell the cause.

Dylan also suffers with colitis triggered by food. He becomes intolerant to new foods if he has them often. Every NSAID we have tried has made him very ill with colitis and done nothing for his legs.

Dylan is due to have more x-rays done soon, what else should I ask for/about? No one I have talked to seems to have any idea what is wrong so any ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks for the replies.

I'll ask the vet for x-rays of his knees and back, and for a blood test for tick-borne diseases (I assume this is still relevant for the UK). An MRI has been mentioned so if the x-rays don't show anything we'll do that. Anything else?

I am so very glad he is insured!

This from Intervet -

Ticks are most prevalent in woodland, heath and moorland,

often in areas populated by deer or other livestock. British

hotspots include Thetford Forest in Norfolk, the New Forest in

Hampshire, the Lake District, the Yorkshire Moors, the Scottish

Highlands and the uplands of Wales.

Bear in mind though that they give no indication as to the actual incidence of TBDs as it will suit them to scare people into buying their products.

Anecdotal only but I can't think of any dog I know coming down with a TBD, and I live on the edge of the Lake District and there are plenty of deer in local dog walking areas. Sheep everywhere.

Of course it could be that the dog people I mix with are on the ball and do their best to prevent or remove ticks as they are aware of the potential danger.

In 13 years and 6 dogs I have only found 2 sheep ticks several weeks apart on the same dog and I don't religiously treat mine preventatively. I do, but not monthly according to manufacturer's advice.

I couldn't say whether most vets would routinely consider testing for a TBD in the case of such unexplained symptoms but I suspect not if they don't come across them very often. Could be wrong of course.

It makes sense that if vets don't see TBDs they'd be reluctant to test. Here in the US there is such a variety of TBDs that no location (except the extreme northern areas that stay frozen most of the year) is safe from them. Vets are often still reluctant to test, but really a TBD screen is a good idea for any unexplained lameness or odd grouping of symptoms for dogs here in the US. Testing is also relatively inexpensive, so it makes sense to rule something like TBDs out before going to more expensive diagnostic tools, like MRI (assuming symptoms fit a possible TBD). So I usually throw it out there, especially when I don't know the location of the OP.

I wonder what the incidence is in the UK? I guess I need to pay more attention to the locations of the people who post to Tick-L. :)

J.

Thanks.

Mum24dog, I live on the edge of the Forest of Bowland which is likely to be an ideal tick habitat according to your quote from Intervet. So I will ask the vet about TBDs but I have only ever found 1 sheep tick on Dylan and it was not yet attached.

Julie, if a TBD has even the tiniest chance of been the cause of Dylans problems I will get it checked before paying for an MRI!

Someone I met in the park today suggested an autoimmune issue because of the colitis so I will ask about that too. There is also going to be a seminar by a McTimoney Chiropractor at my local dog club. They are doing consults after so if the vet agrees I will take Dylan and see if that helps.

This link to the tick page might help. This page from Gil. Ash is especially helpful.

The ticks that are most likely to transmit disease are at a growth stage where they are generally very small and therefore very difficult to detect (which is why they are most likely to transmit disease--dog owners just can't see them).

It is possible for dogs with TBDs to be misdiagnosed with an immune-mediated anemia.

J.

Thanks for the links Julie they are very helpful.

Indira I had to google Cauda equina, I will ask the vet about it. Pain seems to be the most common symptom and as Dylan is very good at hiding pain I have no idea how much pain he is in, if any. Although I do worry that he is in pain as he chews at his back legs and will start chewing at his hips if he is rubbed there.

Mum24dog, I'm in Longridge near Preston, Andrew Hutcheson was the vet who did the x-rays and is our main vet however, Paul (I think!) is the vet we are now seeing for Dylans problems at the same surgery. We got a second opinion from Oakhill Vets in Goosnargh and use them for are other animals (pet rats).

Mum24dog, I'm in Longridge near Preston, Andrew Hutcheson was the vet who did the x-rays and is our main vet however, Paul (I think!) is the vet we are now seeing for Dylans problems at the same surgery. We got a second opinion from Oakhill Vets in Goosnargh and use them for are other animals (pet rats).

I thought you might be on the northern side of the Trough.

If it turns out to be a suspected orthopaedic problem I can highly recommend Simon Roch's referral practice near Milnthorpe.

http://www.kentdalevets.co.uk

He's one of the top surgeons in the country and so nice with owners and dogs. A half hour consultation can easily double as he gets really enthusiastic about explaining things. I counted myself very lucky that we had him only a few miles up the road when Ross ruptured his cruciate.

And if you need Physio or Hydrotherapy Myerscough College is the place.

Pam

I will look into that vets Mum24dog, it would be nice for Dylan to see someone who has a clue what is going on and explains things.

We took Dylan to Myerscough college open day when he was a puppy but I believe there is somewhere nearer for hydrotherapy. We will go there if Dylan needs physio as I think its the nearest place to us that does it.

• 1 month later...

An update on Dylan.

We saw the chiropractor at the weekend, and it has left me feeling very sad. She saw instantly that Dylan has major problems and refused to touch him (other than cuddles!) due to his level of pain. The chiropractor recommended a vet and suggested that Dylan needs pain meds.

The chiropractor watched Dylan moving and listed a number of things that are not right. I may have forgotten some but here's the list:

Short stride on back legs-hip pain

Lame on both front legs

splays toes on all four feet

Stiff shoulders

Stiff neck

Something about his wrists not been right but I can't remember what she said

The chiropractor was more concerned about his front end than his hips and back legs. While I am really glad that she saw the things that I know aren't right when vets haven't, I just wish it was my imagination!

Dylan has been prescribed Tramadol 50mg capsules, does anyone know if it is ok for Dylan to chew them? The vet said it was but the info for the drug said it isn't ok for humans to chew them but doesn't mention dogs at all.

That really sounds like my Tommy when her polyarthritis flared up big time. Her's started with her jaw hurting. Then she was limping on her left fron foot. Then she just kind of stiffened up all over and it was painful for her to walk or really even move.

Vet took fluid from her front wrist and it was full of white blood cells - typical of poly arthritis. She was on Tramadol and prednisone and immuran. It took a while but she did get better. (She was also on about 10 days of doxy just in case of tick disease).

She seems just fine now. She runs just as hard as she can and jumps and doesn't seem bothered anywhere at all.

That is a shame that you can't get definitive answers. Hopefully a vet will take you seriously soon and actually get to the bottom of things.

The front end problems could be caused by compensating for the backend issues or vice versa. Basically when one end is hurting they use the other more often causing extra stress on those joints.

At least the chiro has given you come information on what they see wrong that you can pass onto a vet. I know that sometimes at a vet visit the dogs don't show the same symptoms for whatever reason so maybe try and get some video when Dylan is really showing the problem. This way the vet can watch and even slow down the video to get a better understanding of what the dog is doing while walking, trotting, etc... Video can be a huge help. Get different views (front, both sides and rear).

I am with the others though that I would think about a tick-borne disease or something autoimmune.

Hope you will find answers soon.

Tommy Coyote- I am glad Tommy is better now. Arthritis symptoms include swelling of the joints which Dylan has never had, so unless it's an atypical case I don't think it's that.

2 Devils- Dylan never walks normally, not ever. The vets are missing it because they don't know what they are looking for not because it isn't there when I take Dylan to the vets. I will try to get some video of Dylan running but I don't have a video camera and I don't think the one on my phone is good enough.

Our vet referred us yesterday to someone who should at least know what to look for, hopefully we can get an appointment for next week. I have already spoken to the new vet on the phone and he was very concerned that Dylan had all these problems at 3 years of age. When I see him I will mention every idea that has been put on this thread.

Thanks for all the replies, you have all been very helpful and I am very grateful.

I have good news!

We saw the new vet ealier this week. Dylan has/had pain in his left hip which has caused him to use muscles in his back to walk. Using these muscles causes him pain making him put more weight on his front end resulting in problems with his neck, shoulders and front legs. The vet thinks that the incontinence is due to numbness caused by Dylan using his back to walk.

We have been given loads of exercises to help get Dylan to walk normally again. The vet said that the way he walks could be habit after an injury or due to something else wrong with the hip. The foot dragging is due to Dylan not wanting to lift his feet and is not neurological.

Getting Dylan to walk normally is going to take a long time I think but will be worth it. He is not allowed to run or jump until the vet says he can and is only allowed 3 x 20 minute walks a day.

I feel so relieved to finally have answers and I am so happy that Dylans problems seem to be fixable. It feels like he has a future again.

Archived