BC Boards

returned dogs

Just had my first dog returned today and wanted opinions on how you guys handle these things.

The new owners have had the dog since Feb. and the woman had even called me last weekend to ask about having her bred, then suddenly she calls today to tell me the dog is not working out and wants to return her. Of course I took her back since the alternative was the dog being shot.

They asked about getting their money back or getting a future pup in return for the dog. What do you guys usually do if this happens? I have only sold a couple of dogs so am not sure what the policy is on dogs who do not work out.

Thanks, Lisa h

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LJS1993
Just had my first dog returned today and wanted opinions on how you guys handle these things.

The new owners have had the dog since Feb. and the woman had even called me last weekend to ask about having her bred, then suddenly she calls today to tell me the dog is not working out and wants to return her. Of course I took her back since the alternative was the dog being shot.

They asked about getting their money back or getting a future pup in return for the dog. What do you guys usually do if this happens? I have only sold a couple of dogs so am not sure what the policy is on dogs who do not work out.

Thanks, Lisa h

Isn't that a long time to have a dog then simply return it for not working out? Did they give any specifics?

Why are they returning the dog? What do they think is "wrong" with her? If she is a problem, why on earth would they want a similarly bred puppy in the future?

Did you give them any guarantee that she would meet some specific needs? I'd guess they should be happy to give her back. Especially if they would otherwise shoot her.

I dont see how the alternative can be the dog being shot. That's nuts. Unless the dog is threatening or has bitten someone you could possibly go to jail if you shoot a dog, where I live. Glad you took her back, obviously the people weren't right in the head.

People do this all the time. Some of my sister's inlaws did this, AFTER I told them that it was illegal. Some people are just idiots, and feel like they are doing the "humane" thing by putting it out it's misery- when in reality, all they really care about is THEIR welfare.

Julie

I dont see how the alternative can be the dog being shot. That's nuts. Unless the dog is threatening or has bitten someone you could possibly go to jail if you shoot a dog, where I live. Glad you took her back, obviously the people weren't right in the head.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Whether or not you owe the people any money or a new pup all depends on the reason they are returning the dog and what your contract stated about this type of situation. If they are simply returning her because they don't like her personality, or some other trivial thing like that, then I would say you don't owe them a darn thing. Send them on their way and don't even think about letting them have another one of your dogs ever. But if the dog has a health problem that was guaranteed against then you are obligated to do whatever you contract said you'd do in that situation. If there was no contract then I guess the call is up to you to make on your own. Personally, if the dog was physically defective (HD or the like) then I would replace the dog or return their money.Otherwise, I'd do nothing more for these people.

Of course I took her back since the alternative was the dog being shot.

They asked about getting their money back or getting a future pup in return for the dog. What do you guys usually do if this happens?

I don't breed dogs, but I do rescue BCs. If anyone EVER threatened to shoot a dog that I had adopted to them because the dog "was not working out," there is no way in hell I would ever consider giving them another dog. Never. Whether you should give them their money back depends on the reason for the return and what your contract says, as Debbie stated above.

Actually, let me clairfy. If anyone EVER threatened to shoot a dog that I had adopted to them for ANY reason, I would never have anything to do with them ever again. Period.

In Dante's Inferno, animal abusers are destined for the outer ring of the 7th level of Hell. They are immersed in Phlegethon, a river of boiling blood, to a level commensurate with their sins. The Centaurs, commanded by Chiron, patrol the ring.

Sounds good to me... :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more with Mary's comments.

I would be hard-pressed not to slap someone who said they were going to shoot any dog, let alone one of mine or one I had bred and I would never, ever let them have a dog again. I would also warn any other breeders/dog lovers I know about these people.

Phew! OK, now I have calmed down! I think a bit more information may help.

Did you sell these people a pup? Or was it a started or trained dog? What did they want the dog for? Worker, pet, agility etc?

What are their reasons for returning her? Other than she was "not working out". What did they mean by that?

As others have said, if the dog had a health problem then I would refund the money, but other than that I would tell them to go jump! And NOT to come back!

I agree 100%! NEVER NEVER in a million years would I give them another dog. They have just proven that they do not know how to care for dogs if they threatened to shoot it. You may have to give their money back, I do not know. But there is no way that I would give them another dog. People like that do NOT NEED DOGS

Cassidy

They don't have the right to own one of your dogs but had the priviledge. Notice I said "had"! No way would I let them have another pup.

You may have a tough time coming up with the money to refund but I would try as that way they will clearly get the point that you don't deal with folks like them.

Just my opinion....

They don't have the right to own one of your dogs but had the priviledge. Notice I said "had"! No way would I let them have another pup.

You may have a tough time coming up with the money to refund but I would try as that way they will clearly get the point that you don't deal with folks like them.

Just my opinion....

refund may be tough but strictly from a good business point of view isn't that good publicity too?

Personally, I would not do anything or give anything but if you feel you should maybe offer to refund 1/2 the money max... I would not place another dog with these folks unless they had darn good reasons to return the dog. It sounds to me they had issues with the possibility that the dog did not "take" to a breeding.

I have taken back 4 dogs in 9 years. One I had an agreement that they could try the dog for a month and it didn't work out so I took it back and later he bought another dog from me. The others I just went and got when the owners didn't want them anymore. I trained and resold three of them and and the other is out in the kennels now in the process of being trained. The only way I would give a refund is if there was a health problem or it was an agreed apon trial period. Giving a refund will not in any way help your business. If the person just didn't like the dog and you give a refund it will just encourage others to not work with a new dog through the break in period and aske for a refund.

I don't sell Border Collies as pets anymore because the nicest, most checked out people still call you one day and say the have to sell Fluffy because he makes Jr sneeze and do I want to buy him back. Then I say I won't buy him back but I'll come get him tomorrow and they always say Ok to that. Retrain the dog, and give some farmer that needs a good hand a deal.

Kevin

Yeah I was wondering that too. Wasn't she fixed before being adopted out? She should hve been.(Too many idiots out there wanting to breed for all the wrong reasons!)

Also, I would not give her a refund myself as most Rescues(& Human Society's) that I know of, do not do refunds. They will usually only exchange for another dog.

In her case I would say make sure that you get the dog back. And then I wouldn't give her NADA- Not even the time of day.

Yeah I was wondering that too. Wasn't she fixed before being adopted out? She should hve been.(Too many idiots out there wanting to breed for all the wrong reasons!)

Also, I would not give her a refund myself as most Rescues(& Human Society's) that I know of, do not do refunds. They will usually only exchange for another dog.

In her case I would say make sure that you get the dog back. And then I wouldn't give her NADA- Not even the time of day.

This was not a rescue dog. It was a breeder-bought dog. But, the concept is the same. Take the dog back and tell them to go away. They are obviously not deserving of a dog, whether it came from a rescue or a breeder. :rolleyes:

ETA: I do rescue and I do give refunds if the dog is returned for any reason within 30 days of adoption. That's just my policy, though. After 30 days, the dog still MUST come back to me if they don't want it for any reason, but they forfeit their adoption fee.

This was not a rescue dog. It was a breeder-bought dog. But, the concept is the same. Take the dog back and tell them to go away. They are obviously not deserving of a dog, whether it came from a rescue or a breeder. :rolleyes:

ETA: I do rescue and I do give refunds if the dog is returned for any reason within 30 days of adoption. That's just my policy, though. After 30 days, the dog still MUST come back to me if they don't want it for any reason, but they forfeit their adoption fee.

Welp ya gotta take um back dog, but if un they'd of shot um if ya didn't and asked you if another one comes up let um know. NEVER argue with a loaded gun take the number and file it in the don't do it again file if a refund is what there after partial cash or full credits the way I do business just hope ya never see um again !! :D

Wow I am so glad so many of you feel the way I feel. Okay here is the story:

This dog was a started sheep dog, she could go get the sheep, knew both flanks, had a down on her and a pretty good "that'll do" When these people called looking for a dog I had already decided to put her up for sale because she had too much drive for sheep and I thought she would make a perfect cattle dog. They represented themselves as people capable of moving her from sheep to cattle and since so many people around me use borders for cattle I was comfortable selling her as a started dog, but let them know she was ONLY started on sheep and even let them watch her work sheep.

We had no written contract as I do not do this as a business, but had agreed upon a trial period of a week, I did not cash the check until the week had passed with only positive comments from the new owners.

I did not hear another thing from them until last weekend when she called wanting to know if I had a registered male for her to breed this bitch too. I told her no and that was that until yesterday.

Suddenly the dog has developed all kinds of nasty habits, the list is way too long to go into here, she went on and on and on.

Her main complaint was that the dog would not work for her, and only brought the cattle back to her. I had explained that this was all she knew how to do with sheep when she bought her and she assured me her husband could teach her how to drive them away. Then she tells me yesterday that neither one of them knew how to teach her how to herd cattle!

This dog was supposed to be her husbands only and according to her bonded instantly and powerfully to her husband. In fact when he had to let my husband take her to our car yesterday and take her away he started to cry. It sounded more like a case of jealousy to me than any thing wrong with the dog, but I just took her back and told her I couldn't give her a decision on the refund/puppy thing yet.

She had no complaints about the dogs health, and said I had taught her very well to fetch the animals, lay down etc. But that the dog was just too unteachable and stubborn for them to keep.

I really don't know what happened to make her so angry with the dog, except that most of the ranchers around here say their dogs will only work for one person and thats it. (my dogs will all work for anyone just to work!) And maybe she just had enough of the dog only listening to her husband.

So I am just glad to say the dog is home and except for some pretty battered paws she seems to be the same pup she was when she left. She has not exhibited any of the nasty habits the lady described and just seems glad to be home.

So I am thinking of taking her down to my old trainer to start her on cattle now, since I know she would still be a great cow dog.

Still not sure about the whole refund thing, but I do agree with the rest of you, I really don't feel comfortable with them getting another dog from me.

Thanks for all you input, it made me feel that I had really done the right thing, only keeping the dogs welfare in mind.

Lisa H

ask her when she comes around next time if would like some cheese with that whine

this is dishonest and rude. i changed my mind from what i mentioned earlier and would not consider a refund

This dog was supposed to be her husbands only and according to her bonded instantly and powerfully to her husband. In fact when he had to let my husband take her to our car yesterday and take her away he started to cry. It sounded more like a case of jealousy to me than any thing wrong with the dog, but I just took her back and told her I couldn't give her a decision on the refund/puppy thing yet.

maybe they had some kind of argument and it ended like..."its either me or the dog"

Yeah sounds like to me, either a case of jealousy or a case of "Oh sh!t we can't make money off breeding this dog?!"

I don't know what you are obligated to do legally. Each state has its own laws about goods being returned and refunds based on why the sale didn't work out. My heart would tell me to not give them a refund because they misled you and would likely just use the money to buy another dog. If they don't get it back they may just learn their lesson. Sometimes money is the only thing people care about.