BC Boards

Bloody Stool

INU

We had a busy weekend. On Saturday we left home at 3am to be in Louisiana for a search. We were there all day, came home at 1am, then at 4am we left here to go to FEMA training which is pretty intense for the dogs. It was hot and humid but Jazzy seemed to be doing fine. On Saturday, she had some diarrhea (which is not so rare and i don't worry too much), and on Sunday while working some liquid came out of her bottom - explosive. I thought it was #2 but it was fluid and bright red blood. I let her finish the area and let her rest. On the way back home, we had to stop many times so she could relieve herself. I had Immodium and Pepto but didn't want to give them to her in case there's more serious issues. On Monday the vet ran some tests and today everything came back normal. She's been eating only pumpkin and boiled chicken soup last 2 days. Yesterday she had yellow poop (prob. pumpkin) with some more blood in it. She's fine and been acting more energetic than ever...

My vet said there's no bacterial infection so give her pepto for 3 days. Put her back on regular food and see how she does. My friend told me that pepto has aluminum and can be toxic. I called another vet and got a second opinion. She said pepto should be fine and if I didn't feel comfortable, then try Immodium. Another friend suggested Endosorb which is more natural.

I was happy that her stool was clear but then why would she have blood? It wasn't a little bit. The first vet said she was probably stressed. The second vet said it could be parasite that couldn't be detected by the tests. My hubby thought maybe she ingested a sharp bone. I give them raw beef bone once a week. He thought maybe it got stuck and cut inside of her.

What else could cause bloody stool? Other than dehydration, she's doing great.

How much blood? Was it blood or diarrhea with some blood in it?

What do you feed? All details please, including brand, kibble vs canned, how it is fed (soaked?), how often, what time of day, etc.

I feed Innova Evo twice a day plus lamb & brown rice meat roll as treat. They also get Vitamin E, Fish Oil, Missing Links, Cottage Cheese on regular basis.

In Jazzy's, it was dripping...about 1 table spoon at a time. It depends... yesterday it was less - more like smear. I found a picture looks like it when I was searching for Colitis - Bloody Stool Picture

In Cooper's, it was more 'splash'. Both bright red blood on top of yellowish fluid. They both have been eating pumpking so I'm not concerned with the color.

Jazzy's been eating grass a lot. They are both in contact with a lot of other dogs. I asked the owners of these dogs. They haven't noticed any bloody stool. I hope it's not serious nor contageous.

It is very common for there to be bright blood in the stool with diarrhea beacuse the intestinal wall has been irritated. The gut needs to have a good rest. I usually take my dogs off all food for at least 48 hours and I also give them Slippery Elm Bark which coats the intestinal track to help it heal.

http://www.geocities.com/littleflowers_2000/slippery_elm.htm

Both my pups have had some diarrhea and over the weekend one got pretty bad and did have blood in the stool. I took fecals for both over on Monday. The worst pup showed negative for all parasites and the other showed positive for both rounds and coccidia. Of course I am sure they both have both and are treating as such. I have sheep so coccidia isn't a stretch.

The worst of the two probably just didn't shed any eggs in that sample. If you are still concerned you may want to run a 2nd fecal. I also think by the time I took that pups sample in he had expelled everything possible and the blood was from an irritation inside. The bright red blood is better than seeing dark, older blood which is usually more serious.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Tina