BC Boards

Cavalier collie cross

zubs

Hi there, I have a small cavalier collie cross, 11 weeks old, much closer in size to a cavalier than a collie for her age, right now.

I have read quite a bit about collies, but I'm wondering how this mix will affect temperament and exercise requirements, if at all, compared to a collie.

She is a fiesty pup and I think I will have my hands full either way. She is real loving sweetheart when a bit tired, but otherwise is running on the walls.

post-18316-0-45888100-1447976958_thumb.jpg

Cute! I would actually be far more worried about how the combo would be in terms of obsessive behaviors. Cavaliers can develop a lot of them, as can Border Collies. I would not let anything undesirable become a habit. Also, watch out with food. Cavies LOVE to eat and I have far too many Cavalier patients that are morbidly obese. Keep her active but also mentally stimulated. Oh, and the Cavies I know have horrid self control. Work on teaching that very young. Border Collies can be impulsive themselves, so the combo could be difficult if not trained to exercise self control from a young age.

Holy CRAP she's cute!!!

We lost our family Cav this summer. We loved him to bits, although a Cav didn't quite fit my parents' lifestyle. He was bound and determined to become the world's best couch potato. He was HARD to keep thin, like many cavaliers. We succeeded, but he needed about a quarter cup of food a day.

I'd make yourself aware of the potential health issues with many cavaliers. I'd be a little watchful of the energy of a border collie with the potentially weak heart of the cavalier. Like most, our Cav passed away from heart failure. They also can have syringomyelia, luxating patellas, loose joints, seizures, and some more. That's not at all to say yours will have any problems, but I'd be on the look out.

Cavs and collies are on pretty opposite ends of the temperament spectrum, I think it's tough to guess which side yours will take after! I'd love to hear an update as she grows!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this puppy :)

She is 15 weeks old now and still tiny. just over 3kg. So I think either she was the runt or the breeder misled us on the birthdate. All the other puppies in puppy class are much bigger than her. She is super cute for it though. And definitely not shy.

She seems to be tending to the cav side. Typical puppy behaviours aside, she has really settled down and has become very chilled. Settles more easily. She doesn't seem to need a lot of excercise, and is very happy to be carried on walks if the option presents itself. She is still a bit hyper and crazy at times of course but snuggling seems to be equally high up her list of priorities.

If wondering if it's too early to extrapolate adult behavior from this, but it's looking like she will be quite chilled once grown.

On the training side, she is super sharp and responds very quickly to commands. Though if other dogs are around, or she is in a new place, she goes totally deaf and it's all hopeless. I see this improving over time however.

The main training problem I have is that she is trained to potty in the yard, and hasn't had an indoor accident at my place in aaages. But she wont' go anywhere else. I recently took her on a long 4 your journey mixture of car and walking. Eventually ending up at a friends house. Spent 20 minutes in their similar yard, but nothing. And of course the minute we are in their house, voila! Strange as she doesn't go in my house anymore at all.

Here she is anyway :)

C5IcNGm.jpg

Just a quick update on this puppy :)

She is 15 weeks old now and still tiny. just over 3kg. So I think either she was the runt or the breeder misled us on the birthdate. All the other puppies in puppy class are much bigger than her. She is super cute for it though. And definitely not shy.

She seems to be tending to the cav side. Typical puppy behaviours aside, she has really settled down and has become very chilled. Settles more easily. She doesn't seem to need a lot of excercise, and is very happy to be carried on walks if the option presents itself. She is still a bit hyper and crazy at times of course but snuggling seems to be equally high up her list of priorities.

If wondering if it's too early to extrapolate adult behavior from this, but it's looking like she will be quite chilled once grown.

On the training side, she is super sharp and responds very quickly to commands. Though if other dogs are around, or she is in a new place, she goes totally deaf and it's all hopeless. I see this improving over time however.

The main training problem I have is that she is trained to potty in the yard, and hasn't had an indoor accident at my place in aaages. But she wont' go anywhere else. I recently took her on a long 4 your journey mixture of car and walking. Eventually ending up at a friends house. Spent 20 minutes in their similar yard, but nothing. And of course the minute we are in their house, voila! Strange as she doesn't go in my house anymore at all.

Here she is anyway :)

C5IcNGm.jpg

Waaaaay cute puppy!

I would not worry about the potty confusion at this age. Dogs usually do not generalize easily, so potty training can be forgotten when in a new place. Maybe take her to lots of new places and encourage her to potty outdoors here and there? Take her for walks in different places instead of into the back yard for her potty breaks, and encourage her to potty, with lots of praise and a treat if she does. she will learn soon that any outdoor place that you call "potty" is a good place to go.