BC Boards

Split pawpad question.

I took my BC out for a walk this afternoon, and halfway through, I noticed that there was blood in the snow he was walking on. On inspection, I found a pretty deep cut/slice on one of the pads on his right paw. I brought him home, washed it in warm water, applied neosporin and then wrapped it in a pressure bandage. I plan on changing the dressing twice a day, and making sure it doesn't get infected. Is there anything else I should be doing? I don't need to take him to the vet for stitches or anything, do I?

It depends how large the cut is and how deep.

Most things like this will heal on their own, but if it's very deep and long then it's possible it could need stitches. If so it has to be done within a certain period of time and I'm not sure neosporin would be a good idea. You don't want to encourage the tissue to heal prior to stitches, which is the reason they have to be done within a certain period of time.

If you think it's mjnor enough to heal on it's own, a day of neosporin should be fine, though I prefer something like betadine. But be careful that any bandage isn't so tight that it cuts off circulation to the foot, which could cause problems of it's own. Really, after it dries up and begins to heal, it's probably better off without a bandage but kept clean.

Good luck.

The cut is across the entire length of the pad, but isn't that deep. I ensured I could put two fingers in between the bandage to make sure it wasn't cutting off circulation. When I change the dressing in a few hours, I'll try to get a picture of the cut, to get advice about whether or not stitches would be a good idea. Thanks for your response!

If the edges touch, aren't jagged, it's not deep, and it's not still bleeding, then no, it doesn't need stitches. As long as you made sure there wasn't anything stuck inside there when you cleaned it, I wouldn't worry about it.

In my experience with my own dogs having gotten cut pads in the past, it takes a pretty deep cut to require any sort of stitching. In fact, my vets have pointed out that stitching a pad is problematic in that it is very hard to get stitches to hold. I used a gauze bandage with padding, held on with Vetwrap. If it was wet or muddy outside, I would put a dog bootie or other covering over to keep things dry when pottying. I'm not sure any form of antibiotic is needed and oily/greasy antibiotics (like Neosporin) in the cut can slow down the time it takes to knit back together so as long as it has bled and is clean, I'd just keep it clean and dry.

If you are concerned, have your vet take a look and see if it needs anything additional.

Best wishes!

My dog has a paw pad cut right across at the moment and is on antibiotics for it, didn't need stitches. Having just had to change the dressing myself because it got wet and dirty, it is well worth getting the vet to do it. It's 2am, I'm tired and also sick, she's just run through about most of the first aid kit by means of kicking and dislodging dressings at the crucial moment. She's getting stressed, I'm getting stressed, it's not a fun time.

The far-superior-to-me-at-this vet dressed with a dry dressing, conforming bandage, a layer of cotton, and vet wrap. Stayed very well and overall was a winner until it got wet. I had plastic covering it, it just got a hole at the bottom on a wet and stormy day.