BC Boards

101 things to do with a box fail

1st, some history. Sonic spent 1.5 yrs in the Dominican Republic as a pet dog to refugees. I doubt they had time or means to train or learn about training, so he would have learned from 'the school of hard knocks', with wrong equalling hit, or kicked, or 'uh uh'd' or whatever from mild to strong, and right equalling getting fed, getting cuddled, getting scraps, treats, and access to comfortable indoor spaces. He actually 'sat pretty' and looked at us to gain permission to jump on our couch on his first hour at our place.

So he's doing great with marker training, loves that game, and he's already learning to tug (which is a big deal for a 3rd world dog, as he 1st needs to realize that a big something in my hand is for playing, not hitting) but he super duper wants to keep focused on me (eye contact, super duper eye contact) and/or the treat, or the area behind me where I ineffectively hide the treat bag.

So I thought I would try 101 things to do with a box, grab a clicker, a bunch of treats, and wait for him to do anything other than stare at me, or behind me (where I have my hands and treat bag). A long wait. He is very very patient, and very very good at standing still, even trying not to blink, seriously.

I did manage to get him sort of to interact with the box, a look, a sniff, and more (somehow used up two handfuls of treats in each session) but I can tell he is trying way too hard and keeps reverting to standing very still and staring, or sitting pretty (probably behaviours that got him fed for the last year and a half).

I want this to be fun for him, any thoughts ? I am tossing the treats so he has to break position to get them. Otherwise I'm being fairly still and just clicking. He does 'get' the clicker.

Sometimes for hard (ie insanely patient) shapers, I'll cheat it a bit and move about the object myself or pick it up in my hands. I may use different objects to see if any are more interesting to him than others -- perhaps a toy since you say he already tugs. Sometimes I do some quick already-known & fun tricks & behaviours before 'releasing' to interact with the object. Generally, you want to reward on the object, in position, to continue to add value directly to the object, rather than having him break position. If you want to add position breaks, grab half a dozen treats and use them to reward in position, then release and toss the last treat across the room to give him a break.

Oooh, thanks. I'll try cheating a bit, then. Tugging is iffy (he has to be really 'in the mood' to be interested in toys, that is still a work in progress), but adding fun 'easy stuff' he knows first, yes, trying out different objects, yes (but I may just try lacing the box with a bacon smell-- or is that a bad idea).

When I treat fell into the box (it's a milk crate, so he couldn't get it) he did start interacting, can I just set that up on purpose?

Got it about keeping him in position, (or, letting him stay in position, since keeping position is what he's good at). I imagine him roaming the local streets of the West Indies, and parking his butt in front of a friendly vendor, and just waiting, waiting, waiting, and finally a sausage gets tossed his way....

Clearly this dog has found that it is safer, and/or more productive just to stand still. With a dog who has made such a huge change in lifestyle a game like 101 things to do with a box can take a lot longer. He is not used to being rewarded for trying anything new with a human being; in the past trying new things probably brought negative results. Mostly I would just give him more time. A lot more time. And maybe try some easier clicker games first - games that don't require as much proactivity on his part. Teach him some tricks. So cool that you are doing this, though. It will be great when he catches on.

I very, very, very rarely start with 101 Things to Do With a Box.

A great way to get a dog started with offering is to toss a treat away, and c/t the dog as he or she approaches something you have near you (on the dog's way back). A mat in front of you (click a split second before the dog's paws hit the mat), or a hula hoop - something large enough that the dog can't miss.

Sorry I'm late in replying.

You just got this dog a couple weeks ago, right? If I'm remembering correctly, I think it might be way too soon to be expecting much from him.

When I adopted Bodhi fresh from having been a stray, he didn't know how to play either. I just gave him plenty of time to decompress and learn how to be a dog,. My other dog taught him to play, when he was ready. She was a good and patient teacher. He learned how to play with me and with toys too, but again I let him do it at his own pace. Without prior exposure to being trained, that in itself is a learning experience.

It took Bodhi 3 1/2 years to learn how to retrieve a ball. He just wasn't ready for it when he first joined my family. We didn't work on it throughout the entire period, but every once in a while I'd come back to it.

He did learn lots of other things, but other than house training I really didn't push training on him right away. He had enough to cope with just learning to be in a home again -- or for the first time if that's what it was.

Sonic needs time to adjust to his new life too. You'll have lots of time to train him when that happens. Please be patient with him. ;)

Thanks! Actually, I gave up on that game for now, after realizing just being on a leash and other forms of typical suburban modern dog confinement (he was free-range most of his life) was a huge and not entirely positive learning experience so there is much to do.

Today he's at "daycare", one of two practice runs to get him ready for a three day boarding.

I do reward his natural tricks (bow, dance/jump up & other cute things) and he's getting into tug and indoor fetch.

In all honesty, I was the one getting overwhelmed, and am sticking with practical & fun for now.

Will reference this thread later though.

This might be helpful to reference when you come back to this too:

http://thecognitivecanine.com/2016/02/06/101-things-not-to-do-with-a-box/

Thanks! That was awesome. You are all a resource. I did 101 Things with my previous dog, and it was fun, but she was probably super ready for that game at the time--it made me think it was an "easy" game--couldn't be more wrong.