BC Boards

Meet My New Guy

So this is the long awaited puppy -- proof that with patience you can adopt puppies from rescues. It took me 6 months, but I was looking specifically for a purebred and one with what seemed like it would have an easier going temperament so she or he could become a therapy dog. There were quite a few puppies prior to him, but I was waiting for the right one.

His name is Wink, aka Mr. Wink, and he came home yesterday. He's 9 weeks old, younger than I'd expected to find! And house training in January in upstate NY? Yikes!

He's very people oriented, not over the top energy but playful, inquisitive and confident. Smooth coat and looks like he'll have prick ears! :wub:

He came from an Amish dairy farm in upstate NY. Not a puppy mill but they don't believe in spaying and neutering so they end up with a litter every year or so, which they apparently sell for $30 a pup. :( So rather than seeing them go to inappropriate homes (really, do you think they're caring who takes them?), the rescue (or a past adopter who works with the rescue, I'm not sure which) buys them and they're taken into rescue and are placed in appropriate homes. I'm told the parents work the dairy cows, though how much actual training they have is questionable. But more working bred than pet or sport bred, which suits me just fine.

I hope these pictures come through. I tried copying and pasting but it didn't work.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/2/?ui=2&ik=72800d61f8&view=fimg&th=1526bbd697d65a90&attid=0.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ_QE3VOeRIUuQjsSDOT1fYNx6_udptzChBnBlC7YcBZhQ0xiTYNv8UOZx_ghfSfF3k0TK_AabGjm3u2i8jXnHcGE_a_zD9am4NMcL3_zk29yvx7lVmVl-PDdus&sz=w1802-h1522&ats=1453640856515&rm=1526bbd697d65a90&zw&atsh=1

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/2/?ui=2&ik=72800d61f8&view=fimg&th=1526bbd697d65a90&attid=0.2&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ9h4X3N9LEpXXElNxBq-5qOFW9Ls5PS0QDCotvJiCVf7hIZQeFrOthjZNzqt6gKKVtsL_jWkkPOfac4yjFV7J_Fata7eG3xIXRKNnt_YuBIoyTMOoFnWqBPcPI&sz=w1802-h3484&ats=1453640856515&rm=1526bbd697d65a90&zw&atsh=1

Enjoy!

I potty trained Celt in the dead of winter. He got me up every night about 2 am for a potty trip out into the yard. I have vivid memories of standing with him under the big apple tree in the yard while he found just the right spot to do his peeing, and the snow and the wind were swirling around me in my jammies over which I'd thrown a jacket. I couldn't wait until he could make it through the night. That was a very cold, very snowy winter. It was worth it.

Congratulations. He sure is a cutie! Will be looking forward to more photos.

My last foster dog, Lya, came from an Amish farm. She came into rescue with 2 puppies that a fellow rescuer was able to talk the farmer into giving up. Actually, he wanted to give the 3 pups to rescue, but she managed to get the mom (Lya) and 2 pups (and then went back a couple weeks later for the last pup). This was her second litter. Now that she is spayed, no more yearly litters. Unfortunately, the small Amish community near where she lives now has her number, and she has already received another call from the brother who wanted to surrender his pup to rescue. Lya's first litter was apparently sold at a farmer's market.

Adorable, wonderful, and congratulations.

Now, I can't say I envy you the puppyhood, but, but, but... you have a puppy! And all that charm and being able to shape and socialize right from the start will make up for potty-training chews everything stages.

Hoping we get to see him grow up here.

At least so far Wink's looking like he's going to be a pretty easy going puppy, and learning fast. :D

I don't have his exact DOB but it's looking to be around Nov. 17-20, making him almost 10 weeks old now.

He pees every time we go out. They started the pups on pee pads a couple days before I got him and he's used them in the ex pen. There have been a couple pee accidents, which is to be expected, but very few and the one he had today (my fault; I wasn't watching closely enough) was right at the back door so that tells me he's got the idea. And he does all his pooping outside. (Good boy!) So it looks like potty training in January isn't going to be all that bad. Thank dog it's not like it was the past couple of winters though!

And he's very quickly getting the hang of what things are toys and what's off limits. . . . although he really likes chewing the corners of cardboard boxes. :rolleyes:

Still working on getting him onto my schedule but he sleeps through the night, waking up at about 6:30 and cries to go out. Then we go back to bed for a little while. By the time he's fallen back asleep I'm wide awake of course so we get up again around 8:00. I can live with that. ;)