BC Boards

Owning a border collie is ...

Such a great experience so far, all 2 days of it!

We picked our pup from a friend's litter when they were 4 weeks old (Christmas eve). I'm surprised I got one at all, considering most of them were spoken before before they were born. Lucky me! We've been visiting him for weeks, and he came home Thursday when he was 8 weeks old. My gotcha picture is of us at the vet, where I was with the breeder helping with all of the pups for the first visit.

I don't have anything negative to say except he hates being put in his crate at night. He'll go in willingly with a lightly stuffed kong, but after the first initial minutes, he cries like he's being murdered. He also has pee accidents in there, but he was not having accidents with his littermates before. He must be really worked up and going potty because of that? Other than that, he is delightful. Does naughty puppy things, like bites my hair or clothes if they are baggy, but he's quick to stop if I redirect him. He responds well to my "ouch" cry if he bites me in play. He realizes that I am more apt to sit on the floor if he lays at my feet vs jumps on me, so he's constantly laying by me. As soon as I sit, he's in my lap and snoozing or chewing on a toy. No accidents in the house yet, because we take him out a lot or watch him closely.

I started clicker training things today, and it didn't take long at all for him to realize that a click meant delicious treats. It was cool to see him engaged in a toy and hear the click and look right at me. I lured him into a sit a few times, and before I knew it, he was doing it on his own. I have never had a border collie puppy but have had puppies before. He really impresses me! He just catches on to what we do so fast. I'll have one of the kids watch him for me while I cook or go on the computer, and he plays with them for a bit and then leaves to come lay by my feet and sleep.

I am so excited to watch him grow up and learn and become a member of the family! I'm glad to have my breeder/friend and this forum as a resource, too.

I posted a ton of his pictures in the Gallery, from birth to today, but here is what he does when I go on the computer in the kitchen: At some point, he won't fit directly under the stool!

12630727_10153407915693014_1880559678_o_

I am a happy (and tired) brand new owner of a border collie!

You sound like you're doing a great job! As I'm sure you've heard, you'll probably get tantrums when he's stuck in the crate for the first little while. Could be for as short as a day or two or as long as a week or two. If he's peeing in the crate maybe make sure he's getting let out enough? I usually go with once during the night and not more than a few hours during the day. They say a dog can safely hold their pee for as many hours as their age in months, but obviously it's longer when they're sleeping.

Enjoy!

Chene, thank you for your reply! As far as the peeing goes, he did it both times after being in his crate for the first 2 hours of his confinement at night. We had taken water/food away at maybe 5:30 PM. My guess is that he got himself all worked up and just couldn't help it? His breeder said they were keeping their bedding/enclosed area dry and clean all night, so he should be capable of it. I just felt bad and thought, I'll take him out if he wakes up. So I waited for a break in the crying (about a minute of quiet) and took him out, only to realize he'd peed in the kennel. Tonight his breeder wants him in a kennel with a light blanket covering the sides. And for me to sleep as far away as possible!

So far I haven't kenneled him during the day, because someone has always been home. We have a good schedule of wake up, potty, eat, play a little, potty, sleep, wake up, potty ... on and on it goes. :) I worried that he would get spoiled by us holding him while he slept, but I am finding he has no problem settling himself down to sleep under my chair or at my feet if I am standing in the kitchen.

So far I am not trusting him to tell us when he has to go, but when he shows signs of going to the door, I always ask if he wants to go outside and then I open the door. He usually doesn't go out unless someone walks out first and then encourages him.

Right now I am getting the cold my children shared with me, so the next few days should be interesting! But at least some of them are well enough for puppy duty.

With potty training, once you figure out the routine it will be easier. It took me a little longer when we brought home our puppy because she ended up with a UTI but eventually you will know when he needs to go out.

My Natasha despised her crate at first. The first night I ended up sleeping on the sofa with her. The next morning I went to take a nap and put her in the crate and she screamed for and hour and a half before I couldn't stand it any longer and went to get her. I cheated and let her sleep with me for the first few weeks. :rolleyes: My husband and son had to get up early in the morning for work and I didn't have a place where Natasha could fuss that wouldn't disturb them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it all works out in the end. Natasha will happily rest in her crate and at night sleeps in a bed in my daughter's room and I sleep without a dog pressed next to my chest.

I think puppies are like infants. Exhausting in the beginning but then you figure them out and everyone gets a good nights sleep.

Congratulations on your new pup! Border Collies are special. When I first got Juno I was on this forum almost daily and I got so much great advice. The one thing that kept cropping up was that owning a Border Collie was a lifestyle choice. Now that Juno is just over two that comment rings very true. It is a rewarding experience having a Border Collie.

For the first year, Juno was go go go 24/7. The only time I felt like I could rest was when she was in her crate. Fortunately, she loved her crate and still does. I would persevere with the crate if I was you. At first the crate was for my sanity, but now when I go out she can go in the crate and I can feel confident she is safe.

Bill

My dogs are required to sleep in their crates for the first 6 months of their life. I usually start with the crate right by my bed and if the puppy starts to fuss and doesn't need a potty break I stick my fingers in the crate and let them know I'm still there. After a couple weeks I move the crate a little farther away from the bed until it is where I want it.

With potty training, once you figure out the routine it will be easier. It took me a little longer when we brought home our puppy because she ended up with a UTI but eventually you will know when he needs to go out.

My Natasha despised her crate at first. The first night I ended up sleeping on the sofa with her. The next morning I went to take a nap and put her in the crate and she screamed for and hour and a half before I couldn't stand it any longer and went to get her. I cheated and let her sleep with me for the first few weeks. :rolleyes: My husband and son had to get up early in the morning for work and I didn't have a place where Natasha could fuss that wouldn't disturb them.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it all works out in the end. Natasha will happily rest in her crate and at night sleeps in a bed in my daughter's room and I sleep without a dog pressed next to my chest.

I think puppies are like infants. Exhausting in the beginning but then you figure them out and everyone gets a good nights sleep.

That's good to know that a negative experience can turn into something positive. I try to make it positive, such as tossing treats in there, clicking when he puts all 4 feet in, etc., but when he needs to go in there for bedtime, that is just how it has to be! And then he cries. But we just finished night #4 and he cried less and had his first accident-free night.

Congratulations on your new pup! Border Collies are special. When I first got Juno I was on this forum almost daily and I got so much great advice. The one thing that kept cropping up was that owning a Border Collie was a lifestyle choice. Now that Juno is just over two that comment rings very true. It is a rewarding experience having a Border Collie.

For the first year, Juno was go go go 24/7. The only time I felt like I could rest was when she was in her crate. Fortunately, she loved her crate and still does. I would persevere with the crate if I was you. At first the crate was for my sanity, but now when I go out she can go in the crate and I can feel confident she is safe.

Bill

Yes, the crate needs to be for our sanity, too. As I type, he's in it as we eat lunch. Sure we could eat lunch in shifts while someone watches him, but I want him to know that a little break from is okay! I am starting to see more and more how this can be a lifestyle choice! :) Fine by me ... we shall see how my husband feels about it as time goes on. I'm already getting excited about herding, sports, etc.

My dogs are required to sleep in their crates for the first 6 months of their life. I usually start with the crate right by my bed and if the puppy starts to fuss and doesn't need a potty break I stick my fingers in the crate and let them know I'm still there. After a couple weeks I move the crate a little farther away from the bed until it is where I want it.

It seems to work the opposite for Solo. If he knows I am close (especially if he can see me), he screams all the more. When I am out of the room, he settles more quickly.

So - as an update: I put an upside down recyling bin in his kennel. It gives him half the room, and what do you know, this morning he was dry. He also cried less at night. Currenty he is silent and in his kennel as we eat lunch ... amazing!

Last night my friend/Solo's breeder stopped by to pick something up, and I knew Solo would be excited to see her. I even commented to my kids that he would probably dribble, and he sure did! He had been sleeping, so I should have taken him out first ... duh. But he was overjoyed to see her, for sure! It was nice that after he greeted her, he would come back to me to check in once and awhile as we sat on the floor and he played with toys. Speaking of those, my friend returned some toys we'd left at her house on one of our visits. Solo went right for those 2 toys of out of his pile right away, knowing that they were the newest of the new and they must be chewed!

And update: He is no longer happy. I'll wait until he's quiet and then let him out. Hopefully it's dry ... he was let outside right before I gave him a chew and put him in there.

Puppies are crazy!! we at least our Aussie was :) he did the exact same things! He hated his crate until I used clicker training for when he was quiet.... I would wait out the whining then click and treat when he got quiet (I used his favorite food at the time canned tuna) in a day he had completely stopped and never whined (let's get honest it was not whining he was screaming and barking bloody murder) again! It worked way better that letting him out when he got quiet because he learned he had to stay in no matter what but he had a choice to get treats or not treats inside of it lol. Good luck!

Puppies are crazy!! we at least our Aussie was :) he did the exact same things! He hated his crate until I used clicker training for when he was quiet.... I would wait out the whining then click and treat when he got quiet (I used his favorite food at the time canned tuna) in a day he had completely stopped and never whined (let's get honest it was not whining he was screaming and barking bloody murder) again! It worked way better that letting him out when he got quiet because he learned he had to stay in no matter what but he had a choice to get treats or not treats inside of it lol. Good luck!

Interesting! I will try that! As an update: He is getting better. Still whines but it is generally not the freaking out fest that it was. He settles more quickly. If we put a blanket over, he settles really fast. Last night we were on the couch watching TV with some snacks. He of course was interested in the snacks! I tossed a tiny cheeto into the back of the crate and he reluctantly went after it (kept both back feet out of the crate!) but then I saw him investigate the inside again so I tossed one to the back. Did that a few times and instead of begging, he settled on the floor next to the crate door with occasional trips to check the crate for goodies.

He is so gosh darn smart! I put a video up in the obedience section of him learning sit and down. :)