BC Boards

Toys for a dog that likes to rip things apart.

I found his toy at a house I was dog sitting, and unfortunately I don't know what it's called. But I'm going to start looking for it. It basically was a rubber bone shaped toy, covered in rubber fingers about an inch long. The fingers were closely spaced, but you could easily smush peanut butter all the way in the crevices. It was AWESOME. The dogs would have to manipulate it more than just a bone, it took a lot of effort to get all the peanut butter out.

Oh, that's a good idea! I have that rubber bone shaped toy that I mentioned earlier (Kieran won't have anything to do with it now that he chewed the rope off). It has little slits in it where the rope was woven through. He has this one: http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=%2Fdog%2Ftoys%2Ftoys-r-us-bone-rope-dog-toy-zid36-10678%2Fcat-36-catid-100118%3Fnull#a

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs will destroy soft toys in minutes, so they only get harder toys.

Petstages makes a chew toy that looks and smells like a wooden stick that they love and that lasts a long time. Nylabone also makes an orange plastic pretzel-shaped toy with little nubbies all over it that my guys love, and it also lasts a long time. I get both of those at Walmart.

There's also a sort of S-shaped rubbery (Bumi Tug Toy) which I found at a pet store that my dogs love - they have yet to make a dent in it, and it bends and bounces and they can toss it over their heads. :) That one comes in at least two sizes. I get edible chewies sometimes, too, but they demolish those in less than 15 minutes.

Sometimes I give them one of those "boneless" soft toys that look like flat squirrels or skunks or whatever, and they have a GREAT time tossing and throwing and pouncing on them. But I monitor those closely because at some point they will lay down and start shredding. :rolleyes:

I used to save my junk mail and let Shoshone shred it when I had a couple dozen pieces. I had to hold it for her, she loved the tearing and tugging and ripping apart. She wouldn't touch it unless someone held it for her, though. Human involvement was mandatory.

Ruth and Gibbs

Dixie loves shredding paper too. We discovered the other week that she was stealing tissues from the tissue box and shredding them! We caught her stealing them off the side table. Receipts are a favorite too. I moved her bed in her crate and found tiny shreds of paper all under it.

Waffles, I guess a paper mania is fairly common in dogs. My first bc, Samantha, had a field day when I left a box of tissues on the floor next to my bed. I came home a couple hours later and it looked like there had been a blizzard in my room! She probably ate a couple, but mostly they were just scattered around, practically covering half the floor.

We had to keep the bathroom doors closed, or she'd unroll the toilet paper completely. I've got a pic of her with the end of the roll poking up between her feet, with the trail of toilet paper running behind her into the bathroom, 8 feet down the hallway from her.

Ruth and Gibbs

Buddy is a murderer of stuffed ducks, frogs.... He can kill one of those toys in just a few minutes if left to his own devices.

Our longest lasting toys have been squeaky balls and knot ropes. For treats Antler is about the one thing he can't seem to decimate, though cow hoof is also pretty hardy. The antler doesn't smell or make a mess, but the cow hoof does smell a bit.

If your dog really loves stuffed toys (Buddy really really loves them) try a small toy that wont be much bigger than his mouth and doesn't have a super fluffy outside, which seems to incite defurring and ripping. That way he can't sling it about really hard and tear things from the seams.

Our other dog eats bully sticks sometimes, and they also have an odor, but it's not heavy or awful in my experience. I'm just happy to not deal with rawhide fluff anymore which stains carpets and gives tummy aches for Buddy. Neither of our dogs will touch sweet potato sadly.

Mine get boxes. I set them aside (top of the fridge) until there is a small pile.

Then sometimes (on a day before I vacuum) we have "box shredding" play. They make a mess, I supervise and encourage, and then when everything is a shredded little mess we clean up (good practice for retrieving items) and toss the shreds.

That seems to scratch the "eviscerate" need, and I don't let them have that kind of toy otherwise. They get chews (usually bully sticks) and toy play when supervised, otherwise they don't have toys in the house much. They sleep all day anyways.

I taught Sugarfoot not to shred her soft toys the same way I taught her to inhibit bites on my skin. If I heard the tiniest rip when she was chewing a soft toy I'd yip, "OUCH!, Poor Lambie!" (or whatever the toy's name was.)

I don't know if she thinks shredding the toy hurts me, or if it hurts the toy, or what - but it works. I throw away toys when they're filthy beyond washing or just ugly and misshapen, but almost never for being shredded. Sometimes rips happen when we play tug, but I put torn ones away and sew 'em up when I get a couple that are ripped.

I buy tough toys, and they're expensive, but with Sugar they last for years. Her favorite one for rough play is the shark. The same company (Tuff Toys) makes many shapes, including a sheep.

post-10533-0-48290800-1453158833_thumb.jpg post-10533-0-37679800-1453158857_thumb.jpg

I just ordered this one, made by Fat Cat Toys

post-10533-0-87160100-1453158915_thumb.jpg

These sheep are good too. Softer and squishy with squeakers. Made by Huggle Hounds. They wash well, Sugar has 2.

post-10533-0-90397700-1453159985_thumb.jpg post-10533-0-68769200-1453160002_thumb.jpg

You never know: my Papillon puppy at age 10 months (all 7 lbs of him) was able to destroy the Tuff Toys in short order because he mastered how to rip open the seamed edges and the way they were raised they were instantly attractive.

Yet, he would not (or maybe could not) the spherical balls that were all fabric and fluff, either because he didn't want to or because being spheres, they had no obvious edges.

Tex is nice to his toys so he gets the soft ones. The smaller the better. He has a little duck...seriously no more than 2 1/2 inches long that he nibbles every night before bed. :wub: Georgia doesn't care for toys. Faith is VERY hard on things. Initially, when I brought her home she was allowed two things to play with: Nylabones and orange chuck-it balls. Even Kongs took a beating. Any stuffed toy was immediately disemboweled. Anything from cheap lambie toys to the highest grade Tuffies. To this day, she still has no bedding in her daytime crate. Only a Primo Pad, a very expensive water bucket and a Nylabone. We did need to teach her that Nylabones should not be flung about the room like a ball. She is allowed some access to softer toys now, but only under supervision. As soon as she tries to take one apart, it's mine. But for the most part her favorite toys are a orange chuck it ball and a huge jolly ball (aka her kettle bell).

I can't think of any toy I would let Faith have free access to unsupervised that I knew she would destroy. If she's feeling the need to wreck something I'll give her a wrapping paper tube. We don't do bully sticks unsupervised because they just swallow them after they get to a certain size.

I love the idea of filling a holee-roller with strips of cloth to be de-stuffed. I am going to try that with my Kit, who just loves to eviscerate stuffed toys.

It is a balancing act around here, because Digger and Boo love their stuffies and carry them around, never damaging them. Digger could have the same "baby" for months and it would only get dirty. But once Kit gets hold of them it's bye-bye baby.

Jester has use for toys only as long as they are being thrown to be fetched.

None of them will chew on anything plastic like Nylabones or Kongs. I always feel a little bad for not letting Kit have the fun of pulling the stuffing out of a toy, so maybe the holee roller idea will work for her. she never seems to eat the stuffing, but of course I don't leave her alone with a soft toy anyway.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Thought I should mention on the topic of Bully Sticks that Buddy choked himself almost immediately upon first trying one, because he was so able to get off little pieces immediately. He doesn't choke on most things, but he does with these, so after a terrifying try with bully sticks and him we don't let him have them anymore.

If your dog is particularly good at chewing, stick with harder things like antler.

They both shred and eat it- it's raw and crunchy and shreddable. But tossing it about the place, gnawing etc. seem to provide them with much entertainment. Apparently being able to throw something over your head is the most exciting thing ever. I'm just waiting for the day one of them hits the other with it.

This had me laughing out loud :)

Tex is nice to his toys so he gets the soft ones. The smaller the better. He has a little duck...seriously no more than 2 1/2 inches long that he nibbles every night before bed. :wub: Georgia doesn't care for toys. Faith is VERY hard on things. Initially, when I brought her home she was allowed two things to play with: Nylabones and orange chuck-it balls. Even Kongs took a beating. Any stuffed toy was immediately disemboweled. Anything from cheap lambie toys to the highest grade Tuffies. To this day, she still has no bedding in her daytime crate. Only a Primo Pad, a very expensive water bucket and a Nylabone. We did need to teach her that Nylabones should not be flung about the room like a ball. She is allowed some access to softer toys now, but only under supervision. As soon as she tries to take one apart, it's mine. But for the most part her favorite toys are a orange chuck it ball and a huge jolly ball (aka her kettle bell).

I can't think of any toy I would let Faith have free access to unsupervised that I knew she would destroy. If she's feeling the need to wreck something I'll give her a wrapping paper tube. We don't do bully sticks unsupervised because they just swallow them after they get to a certain size.

We call the 6" long marrow bones "death bones" at our house because Wick carries them around and drops them randomly... On anyone in sight dog or human :) when he comes running over with it we always shout "watch out here comes the death bone" right before we take it and set it on the floor before he can drop it lol. One time he was chewing it on the couch above where we were playing with Artoo and he dropped it on my finances face... Where the fiancé still has the scar to this day haha.

We call the 6" long marrow bones "death bones" at our house because Wick carries them around and drops them randomly... On anyone in sight dog or human :) when he comes running over with it we always shout "watch out here comes the death bone" right before we take it and set it on the floor before he can drop it lol. One time he was chewing it on the couch above where we were playing with Artoo and he dropped it on my finances face... Where the fiancé still has the scar to this day haha.

That had ME laughing out loud... :lol: Mostly because Aed used to have a big, dense, heavy bone that he'd carry around, and walk up to you and drop on the nice hardwood or tile floors to get your attention. He didn't even want to play with it. He just knew it was LOUD and we would look at him when it got dropped. Usually not too happily.

I have found whimzees, especially the hedgehog shaped ones last at least a couple hours and they are not incredibly expensive (they have long spines so you could use that PB trick to make them last even longer). Our chewers get bully sticks (they do not last long enough for their price! But are the favorite... If you stick one end in the small hole at the end of the kong you don't have to worry about them swallowing it), antlers (well worth their price), and marrow bones (very very worth their price). They love nylabone flavored bones (thanksgiving dinner flavor was a huge hit in this household!) and the pet stages wood flavored plastic stick is a favorite too. Our dog walker gave them pig skin braided chews which lasted a couple of days and they LOVED them. I'm not sure how expensive they are or how healthy they are though. Wicks favorite is the marrow bones which I fill with treats like PB, coconut oil, etc like a kong. They chew it empty too happily and often but get extra excited when it has something in it. we got pretty lucky though... For the most part they play with their toys and chew on their chew... Unless the toy rips... They it's chow time they will swallow the fluff so we do have to always supervise when stuffed toys are around.

Oh but we can't buy the stuffed animals that have longish fur... Wick likes to pull it all out :( anyone else have this issue?

That had ME laughing out loud... :lol: Mostly because Aed used to have a big, dense, heavy bone that he'd carry around, and walk up to you and drop on the nice hardwood or tile floors to get your attention. He didn't even want to play with it. He just knew it was LOUD and we would look at him when it got dropped. Usually not too happily.

That is hilarious!!! Wick definitely loves that it makes a loud noise too, he actually carries it around just to drop it (on purpose) most of the time... Gotta watch your toes! They sounds similar in that respect ;) although he did feel really bad when he dropped it on daddy face, which was almost even funnier.

I don't use marrow bones anymore because of the risk of broken teeth. I know the cow hooves stink but they work great for my crew. I always make sure they are USA origin. The nylabones work good too. Sometimes when they are new they sit around for a while but once someone starts chewing on them they become a favorite.

Fun topic!

Had me fondly remembering Wryly, who was a champion tennis ball peeler. He looked for the ones that had a gap or a wrinkle and then he'd lie down and happily rip the furry covering off in strips.

Here's something I've tried for Otto:

Re-purposing the unstuffed stuffed toys. With the first rip of a new toy, when the polyester starts to come out, I take it away and safely disembowel it myself. Then, when I have an empty toy carcass, I re-stuff it with tennis balls, treats etc. Otto has to fiddle and root and rip to get the items out of the toy's head, feet, paws. Also with tennis balls in it, it makes a good washable, throw & tug toy. :-)

The other "game" he goes bonkers for is unwrapping. Wrap/fold/roll a highly desirable toy up in a towel, toss and say "find it!" or "get it!" When the towel is mastered, proceed to a large sheet or blanket which is more challenging- or even try a double-doozy - toy inside a sheet, inside a blanket.

If you do this please video (!) so we can compare unwrapping styles. So far I have identified four:

1) the careful and deliberate one-step-at-a-time peel back/unfold with teeth approach.

2) the squat & swat, scoop & scratch with front paws approach.

3) the bite & shake vigorously until the bundle unfolds approach, and even

4) the scratch open with hind paws approach.

... of course there could be others ! ;-)