BC Boards

Introducing Humphrey (and me...)

Hi, we're new to the boards and just wanted to say hi and introduce ourselves before adding any other posts or replies. Sorry if this isn't the right place for intros, I looked but couldn't find anywhere more appropriate

I'm Suzanne and Humphrey is my BC x Foxhound (3/4 BC) so very BC in his ways just a little taller and heavier than average with large floppy ears! I also suspect that his Foxhound blood makes him even more tireless!

Humphrey (AKA Humps/Humfy/Dinkle...) is a rescue boy, we got him as a pup (that's him in my avatar herding Dad's slipper) when we moved back from Kenya with our 4 other dogs who had to spend a few weeks in quarantine (We're in the UK). Humphrey's mum had been picked up as a stray and was in the kennels where ours were quarantined. She promptly gave birth to 10 pups...Humps was the largest with the most freckles and one look at him and I was in love...so we ended up taking 5 dogs home with us from the kennels!

I'm very much a newbie to anything approaching a BC temperament having always mainly had greyhounds and lurchers but I am loving the complete contrast. But as they are so new to me I'll be lurking around here hoping for tips :-) Humphrey is now just turned 2 years old and is a wonderful boy. Ok so we're having some minor leash-reactive issues right now but I suspect it's just a phase and he's feeling a little over-stimulated by life right now! so we're working on clicker training and he's doing great.

please say hi - it would be lovely to meet you and your four legged family members

post-16055-0-42062300-1394301267_thumb.jpg

Humphrey's adorable.

I'm curious, though. If his mother was a stray, how was the 3/4 border collie 1/4 foxhound arrived at?

I can definitely see the hound, and quite possibly border collie. But how such a specific breed profile?

thanks :-) the breed profile isn't a scientific fact it's a likelihood given that his mum was clearly a BC/Foxhound cross and that Humphrey and his littermates were more BC in appearance than their mum - chances are extremely high that his sire was a working BC from a local farm as we are in farming country here. making the approx mix of 3 parts BC to one part Foxhound...although of course there is a chance there was a little of something else in mum...

post-16055-0-51921100-1394364052_thumb.jpg

post-16055-0-14224900-1394364421_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

thanks :-) the breed profile isn't a scientific fact it's a likelihood given that his mum was clearly a BC/Foxhound cross and that Humphrey and his littermates were more BC in appearance than their mum - chances are extremely high that his sire was a working BC from a local farm as we are in farming country here. making the approx mix of 3 parts BC to one part Foxhound...although of course there is a chance there was a little of something else in mum...

attachicon.gifhumph.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-03-09 11.53.03 (1024x712).jpg

Just to update...we've just got Humphrey's DNA results back...as expected he has come back at 3/4 Border Collie and 1/4 Foxhound. What we always suspected given his appearance and behaviour but lovely to have it confirmed.

Just to update...we've just got Humphrey's DNA results back...as expected he has come back at 3/4 Border Collie and 1/4 Foxhound. What we always suspected given his appearance and behaviour but lovely to have it confirmed.

What DNA test did you use? We've been considering doing one on one of our dogs. Welcome by the way and what a cute nose on him. I'd kiss it.

What DNA test did you use? We've been considering doing one on one of our dogs. Welcome by the way and what a cute nose on him. I'd kiss it.

Thanks :-) it was Wisdom Panel - and got to say I'm pretty impressed. I've also sent away to have another of my pack tested and the results won't be quite as straightforward...so will be interesting to see what comes back. Our other boy is a sighthound cross - we suspect Pharaoh Hound cross...so let's see what they pick up! With Humphrey - his behaviour and appearance gave him away from the start!

I have heard some wacked out stuff from wisdom panel but did some digging and found an article by McConnell ((I think)) explaining what made the weird results happen sometimes, that sounded very reasonable. Basically things like breed TYPES and ancient breeds and more recent breeds being made up of other breeds and how they decide what the breed is to start with (and it's not like it's just 'BOOM, BC').

I have the test out for my middle dog right now (middle of my signature). I'm looking forward to what comes back! I won't necessarily put 100% stock in it, but I'm pretty curious.

I have heard some wacked out stuff from wisdom panel but did some digging and found an article by McConnell ((I think)) explaining what made the weird results happen sometimes, that sounded very reasonable. Basically things like breed TYPES and ancient breeds and more recent breeds being made up of other breeds and how they decide what the breed is to start with (and it's not like it's just 'BOOM, BC').

I have the test out for my middle dog right now (middle of my signature). I'm looking forward to what comes back! I won't necessarily put 100% stock in it, but I'm pretty curious.

so what's your guess?

I would love to have DNA run on my terrier, Digger. Apart from very obviously being a terrier, and a mix, it is just impossible for me to guess what is in him. I have always suspected Jack Russel, but only because he is so astoundingly smart and quick to learn everything - he is every bit as smart and easy to train, as any border collie I have ever trained. And he loves to jump, but I think several terrier breeds love to jump, so who knows. But I don't want to spend the money unless I have some indication from others' experience that the test will return reasonably accurate results.

D'Elle - buy dog toys and treats instead of any DNA test. Better use of the money IMHO.

The tests have too many incongruous results for me to rationalize spending money on them.

But then again, I have no interest in human origins (ancestry.com) so my bias is showing.

I have no real strong interest in Kylie's origins and I'll take whatever with a grain of salt - I'm mostly interested in the results for the results themselves. Even if they're wildly off base, there is a basis and way they are off base that I find pretty fascinating - how the breeds are differentiated by DNA, what groups go together, what gets picked up in newer breeds based on foundation breeds, etc.

Basically, I'm curious about the dog and curious about what they'll say, but I'm not looking at the results as an answer, necessarily.

That said, it still took me years (nearly 4) to work up to spending the money and only because I had spare cash and nothing I particularly wanted at the time.