BC Boards

Rex's 2x2 Weave Pole Training

airbear

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wholeheartedly disagree. If you're doing USDAA, there's a damn good chance you'll see 20" or 22" poles. Just training on 24" spacing is detrimental to the dog when they go to a tighter spacing; this I've seen firsthand. You should have heard the whines and complaints at the MI Regionals because the poles were 20" spacing. I avoid all that by training on tighter. Adjusted to a wider spacing is easier than the reverse. My dogs have done this time and time again, so I know from experience.

Besides, we're not talking about buying an entire new set here. We're talking about possibly buying 2x2's.

Well my 2x2's connect together to make a full set -- Or rather, a set of six, that attach to a solid set of six to make 12... I had a local welder make them up for me.

And with regard to spacing, it is fully within our power to "shop" trials based on weave spacing. Personally, I will not attend trials that use less than 24". There is no way I'd send in my money for anyone using 20" poles. I care for the health of my dogs' spines too much to do that.

Secret will never see less than 24" spacing in her lifetime, I'm happy to say. It's within my power to avoid tighter spacing, and this is what I choose to do.

In my area of the upper midwest, I don't believe there is anyone using less than 24" poles (in USDAA, NADAC, ASCA, AKC and CPE). Competitors spoke with their money/entries and clubs ponied up and bought new poles. We heard plenty of grumbles from clubs that had just "upgraded" to 22" poles, but oh well, what do you do?

Well having competed in the midwest very recently, I can say some of the clubs are using VERY outdated equipment. Who cares what the weave spacing is when their contacts have inch-high non-rounded slats?

My dogs have been weaving for many years now on tighter spacing and GASP! they survived. The whole "health for my dog's spine" is a load of malarky IMO for a medium-sized or smaller dog. Is 24" easier on them, sure, so are lower jumps; doesn't mean the other is detrimental to them. Keep making it easier, then we can call it nadac. lol

I'm not saying this is a bad change, but I think some people just bought into all the hype. I've seen it happen time and again over the many years I'm been in this sport.

Thanks Rush for the link!

Turns out my weaves are actually pieces of 3. So I started tonight with just two poles on the three. Will put a cone or something on the other non-poled piece. I think this'll work fine until the later steps. DVD came today, time to go watch.

OK Kristi send me your poles! haha Damn wish I still lived up there. No one here has anything I can borrow.

Postage may be spendy!

I thought 2x2s were like fruit cake - they just pass from one person to the next? wink.gif

BTW, totally agree with having your dog see something besides 24" spacing if you are EVER going to trial in an association that permits >24" spacing. My Wick got used to the 24" poles b/c that's what I bought for the home schooling, and when she went to Regionals, she got smacked the first couple of courses by the 20" spaced poles because she had gotten lazy on collecting. Incidentally, she never had any trouble going from 20" to 24" poles, since the 24"s are so wide, she just kind of runs through them. Rex has been on the 20" spacing ones at the practice barn and it takes him a rep or two to find his footwork, then he's fine.

As for caring about my dogs' spines... er, ok... blink.gif

FWIW, my concerns regarding weave spacing stem from the fact that my oldest dog is a 27" Lab/Shepherd. Weave spacing most definitely DOES have an effect on the health of his spine. We see the chiropractor FAR, FAR LESS since I took my stance on refusing to put him through anything less than 24" poles.

Here is Luke weaving through 24" weaves -- Still requiring a goodly amount of bend:

post-11040-045926100 1288274106_thumb.jpg

post-11040-021835500 1288274115_thumb.jpg

And here he is on a set of 21" poles:

post-11040-064302500 1288274253_thumb.jpg

Nope, I won't be doing that anymore.

Even my 14" Klee Kai has expressed his preference for 24" spacing.

If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon for wider spacing yet, that is fine -- But that is the direction agility in this country (and all over the world) is heading.

Oh, and I loved your NADAC dig. Thanks.

After seeing this thread, I tried Sierra on home made weave poles (rebar from the garden stuck into the lawn). She understood the concept and is doing 6 poles in 6 days. Thanks Airbear!!

The poles were more than 24 inches apart. The distance between poles will be shortened to 24 inches as she becomes more comfortable.

I used the 2x2 method and made my poles from PVC. They worked fine! Asa really caught on to weaving fast with his method--she was weaving 12 poles after only 12 days of 3 short (5-10 min) sessions a day. My Mom has been training her BC's on the slanted V poles and was astounded at how fast my girl learned, now she's changing methods and will be doing the 2x2's!

Archived