BC Boards

Harnesses - step-in vs H (straight jacket)

I was wondering which harnesses are preferred by the BC owners on this forum? I like starting my pups in a harness, so if they pull in the beginning, at least the pressure is dispersed across the chest, not the neck. I do find the step-in harness easier to get the dog into than the straight jacket type. Is there any real difference in how they work, or is it more a question of preference? Or are H-style harnesses better for those dogs, who like my cat has a tendency to get out of there harness and go walkabout? Little Booger needs a new harness, she is outgrowing all the old "second- hand" hand me downs from all the others. She is three and a half months old and growing like a beanstalk.

I have a Comflort Flex Sport Harness, which is the easiest harness I've ever had to put on and take off a dog. You can get them from Clean Run, an company which sells agility equipment--or amazon--for about the same price. They are a bit more pricey, but are cushioned and appear to cause no discomfort.

I shop Lupine. Exclusively. From family experiences, we all know they make great products and really to guarantee them. And I love their patterns.

I have a step-in harness that we got for our previous dog as her arthritis made it a bit difficult for her to get up the stairs into the house. I could help her up because the hook for the leash is centered and lifts front and back together. Our new pup (just over a year old) does fine in it.

My brother uses the Roman harness for his huskies. It seems to give him and his wife great control of the dogs. Well, the bigger one (100-120 lbs!) is now gone. But I expect them to be back up to 2 soon.

I use a step-in harness to run with, it has a padded chest plate and is also padded through the belly. I started out with a simple step-in harness from petco once I slipped his head through my partner learned very quickly to give me his right paw, now we both get confused as the harness can be undone on the right and left :). I can't remember the name but it is german made. I looked a long time to find a harness that had a strong comfortable chest plate for him to lean into but was not fleece padded that it would get to warm to wear in summer. Oh and did not cost a fortune.