BC Boards

Quality otoscope?

Miztiki

I think it will be cheaper for me, in the long run, to just buy an otoscope so I can look into Boy's ears. It's $30 a pop to have the vet look.

I've been looking around and found this one:

83985.jpg

From KV Vet for $129.95. Here's the link. As you can see, there are few details. The price is not too bad. I've seen others for as little as $30, and the rest are several hundred dollars.

Anyone here know if this one is any good for what I need, or have any tips for me? I've emailed asking for product details but doubt I'll hear back from them until Tuesday or later.

Does Welch Allyn make a vet otoscope? They are a really reliable company (I am an Audiology student and that is the company we use). In my opinion as long as it lights up and has some magnification you should be alright. We use really cheap and horrible little otoscopes on screenings and can still see thing quite nicely.

Lauren

Good idea, I fishd out more Fox Tails when I lived in Ca. with my Otoscopes help

You use the same Otoscope on a dog as a human. Welch Allyn makes the best, you just have to get different cones that they sell in different sizes for dogs and cats. Also buy an extra battery, you may try a vet supply. They should not be a prescriptin item sold only to vets. Shop around for the best price.It would be good to have someone give you and idea of what a healthy ear looks like if you don't already know. Having a dog with a thyroid condition years ago it was good to have the comparison. :)The practice I worked in made arrangement for client education, and really worked with dogs that had chronic problems.

Here are a few sites for Welch Allyn but there are tons more.

http://www.allheart.com/welchallyn.html

http://www.welchallyn.com/medical/

Andrea D.