BC Boards

Help! Is my dog a border collie??

Hi all!! I recently got a puppy at the Humane Society and they told me she was lab/husky. However, I believe she is a Bordie Collie - maybe a smooth-coated one or maybe a mix. I'm not sure. The only thing that makes me wonder is because she doesn't do that intense eye thing that Border Collies do. I'm inserting a picture maybe someone can help me out? I'd love to hear some opinions! Thanks!!!

post-11096-1270647700_thumb.jpg

post-11096-1270647731_thumb.jpg

She could be a border collie mix or she could be anything. It's really hard to tell when they're that young. I'd wait till she was older and then reassess what you think is in there. Did the humane society have reason to believe what they told you, or were they just guessing too? (I ask, because the pup looks border collie like enough and most places are quick to label anything a border collie that even remotely looks like one, so it's odd that they'd choose lab x husky).

J.

I would say there is definately some border collie there but not nessicarily all border collie, to me there's something not quite right with the head but could be simply age or picture

I ask, because the pup looks border collie like enough and most places are quick to label anything a border collie that even remotely looks like one <snip>.

Yeah, like this one.

Meg.jpg

I just had this conversation (through email) with someone. Once a dog is mixed, it is really just a guessing game unless you know for sure what the parents were. There is also this tendency that people want to call a mix something that is a mix of two breeds, as if all mixes are the product of two purebreds, when many are probably the product of two mixes, or a mix and a purebred. I just posted this picture in a different thread, but take a look at the two dogs below.

DDDomino.jpg

You might be tempted to call the one on the left a border collie/corgie mix (most people do) and the one on the right a border collie/lab mix. But, they are known littermates! Obviously, there is a short-legged dog somewhere in their ancestory and one of them inherited the short-legged characteristic while the other inherited the long-legged characteristic.

Regardless of what your puppy is, she's extremely adorable and I hope you have a wonderful life together. :rolleyes:

I get what you're saying, Mary, and I agree. I just posted this one in another thread, too. The little brown puppy? His mother is a purebred Maltese. Father is a chi/dach mix. So, obviously he shows no characteristics of his mama!

WillNRunner.jpg

Even so, it's fun to guess! :rolleyes: I think I just like being able to call my dogs "a (fill in the blank here) mix" vs. just "a mix". I always tell people it's just a guess though.

As for the OP puppy, she is cute! And though it's hard to say at that age, she looks like she could have some border collie in her. I don't think people would think you're crazy if you called her a Border Collie mix.

DDDomino.jpg

You might be tempted to call the one on the left a border collie/corgie mix (most people do) and the one on the right a border collie/lab mix. But, they are known littermates! Obviously, there is a short-legged dog somewhere in their ancestory and one of them inherited the short-legged characteristic while the other inherited the long-legged characteristic.

Regardless of what your puppy is, she's extremely adorable and I hope you have a wonderful life together. :rolleyes:

To the OP, your pup is cute, that's the fershure thing.

To MaryP,

They could have 2 different daddies. Unless Mom is under a watchful eye at all times, more than one sire is possible. Mom's probably not talking, so no one will ever know.

Ruth

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure why they labelled her lab/husky - this particular shelter is not very good at guessing dog breeds and there is a lot of confusion there. She is approximately 6 months now and weighs about 30 pounds. I will get a more recent picture of her and post it.

Brodie has those airplane ears, but not as long....(7 months). The coloring is there, but the nose/muzzle is a bit, well, oversized :rolleyes:. But then, Robin had big nose as a pup and he has a beautiful profile now...

Brodie3.jpg

Brodie 7 months.

Some updated pictures. And in answer to the person who asked if it mattered what kind of dog it is - no of course it doesn't matter. But it does help if you can find out what the breed is so you can be more prepared on the dog's behavior and training and activities. Naturally, I love her no matter what. Thanks for all the comments on how cute she is and all the help!!! Here she is at 6 months.

post-11096-1270821491_thumb.jpg

post-11096-1270821498_thumb.jpg

post-11096-1270821506_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies!!! LOL she does have a whole box of toys. She had dumped it on the floor. I think she is a mix also. She does not behave overly much like a border collie. She seems to care less about rabbits in the yard or our cats. She is very quiet except when she is playing. She really does not bark much at all. She does seem to have some herding behaviors - she circles quite a bit. I'm planning to get her into agility and see how she does with that. I have a coonhound mix who was extremely good at agility (strangely enough). She also seems to like water so once it warms up I'm eager to see how she does in the lake. My coonhound loves to swim so I'd love for her to swim with him. Glad I found this board. I don't know all that much about border collies. Any advice would be very appreciated!!

Thanks for the replies!!! LOL she does have a whole box of toys. She had dumped it on the floor. I think she is a mix also. She does not behave overly much like a border collie. She seems to care less about rabbits in the yard or our cats. She is very quiet except when she is playing. She really does not bark much at all. She does seem to have some herding behaviors - she circles quite a bit. I'm planning to get her into agility and see how she does with that. I have a coonhound mix who was extremely good at agility (strangely enough). She also seems to like water so once it warms up I'm eager to see how she does in the lake. My coonhound loves to swim so I'd love for her to swim with him. Glad I found this board. I don't know all that much about border collies. Any advice would be very appreciated!!

Seeing her at 6 months, I would guess Lab/BC -- Border collies are generally quiet -- except for the red ones, apparently :rolleyes:.

Liz

Seeing her at 6 months, I would guess Lab/BC -- Border collies are generally quiet -- except for the red ones, apparently :rolleyes: .

Liz

I would guess Lab/BC too, after the six-month pictures. That's exactly what I was thinking!

• 7 years later...